Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Las Vegas, NV
·CenturyLink

VegasMan

Premium Member

ComEd is full of it.

Does ComEd seriously think I'm gonna believe my neighbors only used 199kWh last month? I find it hard to believe 264kWh even.

ewoodpark
join:2003-02-04
Flossmoor, IL

ewoodpark

I was trying to figure out what the point of that mailer was. Particularly since my village has an aggregation program and I only pay ComEd for the delivery

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
Las Vegas, NV

VegasMan

Premium Member

We have an aggregate also. Were your numbers similar to these ?
cwm1276
join:2004-01-16
Stillman Valley, IL

cwm1276 to VegasMan

to VegasMan
Mine usually says we use way more than everyone else. But like this summer the kids are home all day, so I really can't have a set back thermostat, like a neighbor might is there was no one home during the day.

The back is just as comical with the suggestions, like a set back thermostat, assuming that no one is home during the day.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau to VegasMan

Premium Member

to VegasMan
There is a opt out of this bogus mailer IIRC.

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to VegasMan

Mod

to VegasMan
Yeah we got that too and I was like "WTF?" then I just threw it out.

ewoodpark
join:2003-02-04
Flossmoor, IL

ewoodpark to VegasMan

to VegasMan
I don't think my efficient neighbors were quite so low, but I din't pay close attention, to be honest

Richie12
join:1999-08-26
Tinley Park, IL

Richie12 to VegasMan

to VegasMan
Yup, I also receive these notices and wonder what "neighbors" they are using for the comparison

MnR
Premium Member
join:2002-05-27
Iron Mountain, MI

MnR to VegasMan

Premium Member

to VegasMan
They have a little Nuclear reactor buried in their back yards(LOL)

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

Jan Janowski to VegasMan

Premium Member

to VegasMan
We received a somewhat simelar letter, indicating we could reduce our bill by turning back our water heater.......

Our water heater is GAS.

I then realized Com Ed only gets the delivery charge, as our Village gets power cheaper elsewhere.....

Amazing!
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

sounds like mr burns is running Com Ed

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to VegasMan

Premium Member

to VegasMan
Your neighbors may be in 1 BR apartments where the landlord provides the AC. Best explanation that I can think of as to why your neighbors would average 264 KWH in the summer. Your 518 looks low to me.

Or it could be pure fakery. Some people will make stuff up to bolster their point of view.

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
Las Vegas, NV

VegasMan

Premium Member

That was for the month of May. Not really a hot month around here if you remember. I've been in the 11-1200 range in July and with August being so humid I'm sure it will be the same.

Samus82
Radly
join:2002-01-29
Pflugerville, TX

Samus82 to VegasMan

to VegasMan
Funny thing...i have one of those old meters that spin. Not gonna lie sometimes i stop it from spinning. Forgot that i did it and left it in the whole month and got a 22ish dollar electric bill for that month. The next month i get one of these. I was STILL somehow above my neighbors.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Probably not a good idea to make such comments in a public forum.
bigballer
join:2014-09-25

bigballer to VegasMan

to VegasMan
Good thing comeds pushing out those smart meters now. Sick and tired of estimated bills that are 9/10 times "overbilled" than "underbilled" Plus I hate the meter reader stepping on my yard.

Now if only Nicor will switch to smart meters too. Last winter I actually got a "real" bill in February when there was a foot of snow all around my meter with no foot prints. I called up nicor and actually asked how the heck can they can read my meter when no one has stepped a foot in my yard.

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium Member
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL

insomniac

Premium Member

I submit actual readings to Nicor during the months they estimate, because their estimates are often garbage. It's easy to submit readings through their website.
bigballer

bigballer

Nicor's full of it. I emailed them ranting how I kept getting estimated bills and they told me they're only required to do at least one "actual" read a year.

Full of crap. I don't go buy gas for my car, estimate how much I actually used and pay the real amount the next year. If I'm paying $15 a month for a "meter fee" either someone better check it every month or switch to smart meters.

Since Comeds switching to smart meters, I can't complain. An actual bill every month is better than an estimated bill.

lev
Anyone else remember ISDN?

join:2001-05-30
Goodyear, AZ

lev to insomniac

to insomniac
The last time I called to correct a reading to Nicor, it would have increased the amount I had due, because they recalculate everything as of the day you give them the reading. So even thought my usage was lower, they still got me for 10 extra days of delivery charge.

It's not worth the fight.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

said by lev:

The last time I called to correct a reading to Nicor, it would have increased the amount I had due, because they recalculate everything as of the day you give them the reading. So even thought my usage was lower, they still got me for 10 extra days of delivery charge.

We got on the payment plan starting way back when we lived in the city and had peoples gas. Still on it here with nicor. Got tired of getting tiny or $0 bills for months and then BAM! $600. We pay a little more monthly than we should but almost always have a credit at the end of the year now so it works out.

If they could get the meters read like their supposed to it wouldn't be a problem. Comed manages to do it every month, at least here. In the city they weren't so great.
bigballer

bigballer

said by Jon5:

said by lev:

We got on the payment plan starting way back when we lived in the city and had peoples gas. Still on it here with nicor. Got tired of getting tiny or $0 bills for months and then BAM! $600. We pay a little more monthly than we should but almost always have a credit at the end of the year now so it works out.

If they could get the meters read like their supposed to it wouldn't be a problem. Comed manages to do it every month, at least here. In the city they weren't so great

The problem is those older houses near the city where the meter is actually located inside the house. How it's fair to change them and me the same fee to read the meter is beyond me. I don't understand why Nicor won't switch to smart meters. Comed's doing it, my village water meter had it done back in 2005.

If there are a small amount of people who refuse smart meters out of pure stupidity then charge them an extra $25-30 monthly to manually check their meter.

Yet if they refuse smart meters out of "radiation cancer" I better not see these people using microwaves, baby monitors, cell phones, wifi, satellite tv, cordless phones, etc.
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

1 edit

joewho to lev

Premium Member

to lev
Lev,

I've seen those too and almost everyone gets one that says they use more than their neighbors.