LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

[HSI] Phone Call Re: Modem

Today, I received a a phone call from an "844" number. I did not answer it. It was a Charter robo-call telling me I needed a new modem (I have a Moto 6120 that I own).
The 6120 is perfectly capable, as it's giving me 100/4. I wonder what Charter's angle is here?
I guess maybe it's beneficial (to them) to get everyone on 8 or 16 channel modems.
I'll let them send me a new modem, I guess.
blackcap95
join:2010-03-19
Magna, UT

blackcap95

BTW, 844 is the newest area code for toll-free numbers, having been activated just this past December.
Pasta
join:2002-09-30
Hubertus, WI

Pasta to nunya

to nunya
I had a Moto 6120 that I owned. Charter said that I had to use one of their modems. They gave me a Moto 6121. These 2 modems are basically the same - different case.

My 6120 gave me 60/4. Charter techs could only get 30/4 on the 6121. They finally gave up and gave me an Arris modem (I am getting 60/4). I do not understand why Charter couldn't get 60/4 on the 6121. Telephone support sent a tech out. The 2 techs that were here never heard of Powerboost, 8 channel bonding, Latency and Jitter.

For the most part I have been very happy with Charter. However, this was a fiasco. The good part is that the Arris has 8 channel bonding, weheras the 6121 is only 4 channel bonding.
said by nunya:

Today, I received a a phone call from an "844" number. I did not answer it. It was a Charter robo-call telling me I needed a new modem (I have a Moto 6120 that I own).
The 6120 is perfectly capable, as it's giving me 100/4. I wonder what Charter's angle is here?
I guess maybe it's beneficial (to them) to get everyone on 8 or 16 channel modems.
I'll let them send me a new modem, I guess.

tstolze
Premium Member
join:2003-08-08
O Fallon, MO

tstolze to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
Think we received a call on Monday, I own a Moto 6121, I went to the Charter website and ordered a modem, figured it will stop the calls in the future. I wasn't having any issues, getting full 100+ down and a consistent 4 up.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

New modem came yesterday. It's a Cisco 3208. It has phone jacks. Not sure why they sent this type.
SwitchFX
join:2007-09-15
La Canada Flintridge, CA

SwitchFX to blackcap95

to blackcap95
Very strange that a 6121 wasn't capable of pulling down the speeds.
said by blackcap95:

BTW, 844 is the newest area code for toll-free numbers, having been activated just this past December.

Did not know this. Thanks!

tstolze
Premium Member
join:2003-08-08
O Fallon, MO

tstolze to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
Click for full size
Received a 3208 Friday also, hooked it up, did the online transfer, internet works, phone doesn't, plug the old phone modem in, it doesn't work either. Call Charter, 20 minutes on the phone with no phone solution, she tells me I can get a Monday appointment, I suggest she can do better, she then tells me the local dispatcher will call me either that night(Friday) or Saturday morning to roll a tech on Saturday. Still no phone or no call back from them. I could be wrong, but I don't think this requires a truck roll, apparently the local dispatcher felt this way also, guess it's time for me to get back on the phone again.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
The sb 6120 is not capable for that tier because it's not just charter not supporting the sb 6120 for the 100 mbps tier.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

1 recommendation

nunya

MVM

The 6120 worked perfectly fine. I don't know why people keep saying it's "not capable". That's false information. It would do 100/4 just fine.

maxbrando
Premium Member
join:2014-06-01
Netgear WNDR3700v4
SMC D3CM1604
ARRIS TM602G

maxbrando to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
My guess is one of two reasons
1. To ensure that customer with 100/4 get their rated speed during peek hours,or
2. To increase the network quality so that people with high tier packages are balanced across more channels so that people with lower tiers that can get away with modems that bond less channels aren't effected as much by people on a higher tiers.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

1 edit

OpTiC to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
Then why doesn't COX and Time Warner Cable allow it. They don't allow the 6120 because if they use it on their 100 mbps tier it will cause congestion and this is how docsis works. Real world theoretical speeds doesn't match up.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

1 recommendation

nunya

MVM

You are wrong. It did 104/4.29 all day long. I also used it for a year in the "Ultra" 100 tier.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

The fact is last mile network are shared. If they allow the 6120 or 6121 which I had and use it on 100 mbps service people will start biching to charter why is their internet is slow. I have a friend on TWC ultimate 100 internet is la with the show 6121 and he said he got 98/5. After the swap to the 6141 he got 115/5 all day long. Read clueless rep? MAXX upgrade for northern maine the Time Warner Cable fourms. At the end of page 1 Mackey has the detail given to Qxim