spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Sanek
join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON

Sanek

[Internet] Rogers Hybrid Fibre Unlimited plans

For example, the top tier being 250/20 Unlimited for $124.99/month. Any catch there? Any fine print with what "unlimited" really means, etc.? (assume its available in the area).

Thanks!

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON

nekkidtruth

Premium Member

None that I'm aware of. I've been on unlimited with Rogers since they started offering it. I do about 300-600GB/month. I'm not on the super high tiers though as they're not available in my area.
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

1 recommendation

technocar2 to Sanek

to Sanek
Click for full size
Unlimited means unlimited.

Here is my usage for the last six months on higher tier and a lot of it is upload traffic and rogers has no issues with it. Rest assured there is no catch.

Sam19
@216.16.232.x

Sam19

Anon

Unlimited appears to be unlimited, but there may be a fair use policy.

I do about 3 TB a month without issues, provided the traffic are scheduled.

Running the connection 24/7 did appear to cause slowdowns. I am not sure
if they are shaping the connections, or if there are backend issues.

No issues since I scheduled my downloads and uploads.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON

nekkidtruth

Premium Member

They better not be traffic shaping. They were hand-slapped for that quite a while ago and were forced to remove any/all traffic shaping hardware.
Sunfox
join:2003-12-14
Stouffville

Sunfox to Sanek

to Sanek
Meh... I'm in an area with 8x3 bonding, zero prime time congestion, and they won't even offer me 150 never mind 250.
Shoeman1975
join:2011-08-03
Canada

Shoeman1975 to Sanek

to Sanek
Do they still throttle?

I believe they had to stop time some time ago?
dtchmshkyan
join:2013-08-12
Ottawa, ON

dtchmshkyan to Sanek

to Sanek
There is no catch with unlimited as it is trully unlimited. The catch, however, is that 250/20 plan is available only to a small number of customers due to infrastructure limitations.
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92 to Sanek

to Sanek
I recently started to use Backblaze to do cloud based backups. I have been uploading 30GB a day for well over a month with no issues - I do manage how much I upload as I don't have unlimited, "just" 1TB per month.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Sunfox

Premium Member

to Sunfox
said by Sunfox:

Meh... I'm in an area with 8x3 bonding, zero prime time congestion, and they won't even offer me 150 never mind 250.

I was in the same boat until just recently. My area was "downgraded" to only offer 60/10. But i checked a week ago or so, and now I can get up to 250/20.

Not that I would get service from Rogers directly, but i was checking availability every once in a while.
HiVolt

HiVolt to Shoeman1975

Premium Member

to Shoeman1975
said by Shoeman1975:

Do they still throttle?

I believe they had to stop time some time ago?

They stopped throttling because they couldn't manage it properly, they were throttling legitimate stuff like certain online gaming which got them in hot water with the CRTC so at some point they probably realized it was not worth it anymore...

Or that they've upgraded their networks enough to handle the extra load.
LSTA
join:2010-11-25
North York, ON

LSTA to Sunfox

to Sunfox
said by Sunfox:

You can ask them for the legacy Ultimate 150 plan, $127.99 plus $7 modem rental for 150/10 speeds and 250GB. This is equivalent to the 150 plans offered by Start.ca and TekSavvy for less.

If you complain nicely about the pricing discrepancy, you can get $25 off per month for the first year, $20 off per month for the second year. Or up to $50 off for 6-months if you've multiple services. (YMMV, the second was via Office if the President rather than detentions.)

If you can get Hybrid 150, you can get Hybrid 250. If you can only get Hybrid 60, then the max you can get is Ultimate 150 until they provision your area for Hybrid 150. Keep checking and eventually you'll be eligible. Until then, never pick Hybrid 60, it's a rip-off. Go with a TPIA if you're not tied down by email addresses.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Sam19

Premium Member

to Sam19
3TB Holy moley batman. I thought I was bad when i reached 2
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
I just checked the website, they have a 350mb tier now, but with a 2TB cap.
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92 to Sanek

to Sanek
Did they recently change the monthly data caps? I thought that with the 250/20 service that you got 1TB per month but it is now listed as 500GB. I have the "old" Ultimate 250 that predates "Hybrid Fibre" and it certainly has a 1TB cap.

Makaveli998
join:2002-04-23
Toronto, ON

Makaveli998 to LSTA

to LSTA
Hybrid 60 a rip off?

I could only see that if you go over the 120GB cap then it makes sense to go with Hybrid 150 with the 350GB cap and its like 5 bucks more if you compare it to 60/10 with 320Gb cap.
LSTA
join:2010-11-25
North York, ON

LSTA to wayner92

to wayner92
said by wayner92:

Did they recently change the monthly data caps?

They introduced new plans with cheaper pricing, and different caps as a result. Plus the new pricing has free modem rental.
LSTA

LSTA to Makaveli998

to Makaveli998
said by Makaveli998:

I could only see that if you go over the 120GB cap

Not only that-- consider the $/megabit. It's over $1 for 1 Mbps of speed with Hybrid 60. It's 40ยข/Mbps with Hybrid 250. And you get the extra bandwidth and speed that no other TPIA provides currently. Frankly I judge it a ripoff because other TPIAs will provide better value if that's what matters. With Rogers, I only recommend them if you pay for Hybrid 150 or 250. If all you can get is Hybrid 60 or Ultimate 150, I'd think long and hard about switching to a TPIA like Start.ca instead.
imtiax
Premium Member
join:2014-05-24
Toronto, ON

imtiax

Premium Member

@LTSA

You should look at the Winback offers people are eligible for near the end of their term.

You can get the Rogers internet packages 55% off.

Hybrid Fibre 60 for as little as $33+ tax

»forums.redflagdeals.com/ ··· 331/920/

It's a much better value than what TPIAs can offer

I was originally going to swtich to Start but once I heard about the Winback 55% off offers, I'm going to stay with Rogers for my internet.

60Mbps down with Start is going to cost at least $65

Makaveli998
join:2002-04-23
Toronto, ON

Makaveli998

lol I already have a 50% discount on my internet for almost 2 years now. so paying like $35 a month for hybrid 60.

RLBL
join:2012-11-26
Gloucester, ON

RLBL to imtiax

to imtiax
said by imtiax:

@LTSA

You should look at the Winback offers people are eligible for near the end of their term.

You can get the Rogers internet packages 55% off.

Hybrid Fibre 60 for as little as $33+ tax

»forums.redflagdeals.com/ ··· 331/920/

It's a much better value than what TPIAs can offer

I was originally going to swtich to Start but once I heard about the Winback 55% off offers, I'm going to stay with Rogers for my internet.

60Mbps down with Start is going to cost at least $65

Is that single service? If so that is a decent deal (provided that cap is enough). Otherwise things to consider:

- if you have to couple with with other services to get that price (home, TV) that may be great for some... not so much for others ($33 is not always only $33)
- Rogers has no unl. window
- Rogers counts all bandwidth in their caps

I am currently on a TPIA and never go over 160GB/month. When I was on Rogers, I was always over 200GB/m (same usage habits) and sometimes went as high as 300+
imtiax
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

imtiax

Premium Member

Yes it's available on single services.

Right now you can get 55% off internet and 30% off cable TV with Winback. And you can get the home phone favourites plan for $15/m.

Unlimited b/w only costs $25 more on top of internet.
grand total
join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
·Fido
MikroTik RB750Gr3
MikroTik wAP AC
Panasonic KX-TGP500

grand total

said by imtiax:

Yes it's available on single services.

Right now you can get 55% off internet and 30% off cable TV with Winback. And you can get the home phone favourites plan for $15/m.

Unlimited b/w only costs $25 more on top of internet.

That's pretty good. I'd end up paying almost exactly what I'm paying now for unlimited internet. However, as I see it, there are two problems.

1) What will the cost be when the winback offer expires?
2) I'd have to use a CGN3 gateway, admittedly included, instead of my own trouble-free modem and router.
imtiax
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

imtiax

Premium Member

1. Winback offers are valid for 1 year but there is no commitment meaning you can leave when ever you want without any penalty.

30 days before the 1 year ends you can call, and repat the same cycle. Say you want to cancel, put in your cancellation request and then you will receive a call from winbacks within a few days, if not then you can call the winback number which is in the redflagdeals thread.

And you can see what new win back offers they will have, it will be pretty similar if not the same.

2. It sucks but you can always put it into bridge mode. They released a software update for the CGN3 around a month or two ago which makes bridge mode flawless. I am using it right now.
Shoeman1975
Canada

Shoeman1975 to Sanek

to Sanek
Wondering what's going on with my torrents right now. When I got the cisco 3825dcp, I disabled the wireless mode by bridging. I use the Netgear WNDR3700 router and opened up the ports for Utorrent. It worked fine for a week or so, but now my speed is worse than dial up.

Can anyone help or know what may be causing this? I recently went back to rogers, and was terribly afraid of super slow torrent speeds...

Datalink
@99.224.154.x

Datalink

Anon

What do you get for speedtest results using Rogers speedtest and what plan are you currently on?
Shoeman1975
Canada

Shoeman1975

Hello, I get awesome speed from speedtest:
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 7025.png

IT's my torrents that have died. All was fine until a couple of days ago, as I was averaging 4.4 mb/s, and now I'm lucky to get 10 kb/s.
I'm wondering if it's maybe my router, or the way my port forward is set-up?

One odd thing is that the upno and nat-pmo port mapping on utorrent always unchecks itself.
Shoeman1975

Shoeman1975

oh, I,m on the 60/10 plan. 320gigs a month

Datalink
@99.224.154.x

Datalink

Anon

hmm. Speeds look okay. Thats the final test result. Does it top out around 90 to 95 Mb/s when the test is running? Just curious. Looks like its either the port forwarding or something with the torrent set up. I don't run torrents, so hopefully there is someone in the crowd that can help out.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Sanek

Premium Member

to Sanek
Torrents have been hit and miss for me, I use is as a backup to NNTP.

You might have 100's of seeders and your speed will still suck