spc
Search similar:

uniqs

dondude
join:2005-09-15
Lehigh Acres, FL

dondude

Modem firewall Is this normal?

Looked at modem system log and firewall intrusion alerts showed up. Is this normal activity?

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns

Premium Member

Yes, it is normal.

Mostly automated malware scanning for open ports.

dondude
join:2005-09-15
Lehigh Acres, FL

dondude

Maybe I should uncheck some of theese ports I don't use?
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to dondude

MVM

to dondude
said by dondude:

Is this normal activity?

"Is this a home network or a production / business network," would be my first question.

The next question is "what is normal?" for this network?

2nd shdesigns See Profile 's assessment of random port scans that whatever it's being logged on just doesn't
have alot of brains / brawn to make alot of judgement, other than log it as an "intrusion attempt."
Pretty typical for these ISP-supplied and "from the local electronics store" variety devices.
said by dondude:

Maybe I should uncheck some of theese ports I don't use?

Best practices for this sort of thing call for "permit what you need, deny and log the rest."

My 00000010bits

Regards

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

Wily_One to dondude

Premium Member

to dondude
If it's on the Internet, it's going to be probed. That's just a fact of life with all the malware and bot armies out there, constantly looking for more vulnerable victims. This is the reason all the consumer ISP "modems" include firewall capability nowadays.

You should definitely only allow the ports you actually need.
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982 to dondude

to dondude
Turn your Firewall off in your modem and Wi-Fi router and just hope for the best. A firewall is totally useless.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

3 recommendations

LittleBill

said by floydb1982:

Turn your Firewall off in your modem and Wi-Fi router and just hope for the best. A firewall is totally useless.

you sir are a complete idiot

OP do not follow idiots advice
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

I always disable the Firewalls that come turned on by default in the Wi-Fi routers and broadband modems. I've never once had a problem with my computer after disabling the firewall. When a firewall is running it does nothing but slow down your broadband and nothing else.