join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to tektektek

Premium Member

to tektektek

Re: [Cable] Pricing

said by tektektek :

That Teksavvy do not necessary want the very high usage users anymore

And that they already have a large amount of heavy users that are costing a lot in capacity rates.

Not necessarily 1TB+ people but even folks that are coming close to 300GB are probably a money losing proposition.

The CBB rates review can't come soon enough.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla

said by HiVolt:

said by tektektek :

That Teksavvy do not necessary want the very high usage users anymore

And that they already have a large amount of heavy users that are costing a lot in capacity rates.

Not necessarily 1TB+ people but even folks that are coming close to 300GB are probably a money losing proposition.

The CBB rates review can't come soon enough.

I think it depends on when you use the 300GB, not how much you use. They've always said that peak hours cost them the most. This probably means that if I shift all my major downloads to before 5pm like I do, then I'd cost Teksavvy less than if I did my major downloads after 5pm, even if I downloaded the same 300GB content.
henry128
join:2010-09-03
Hillsboro, OR

henry128

said by geokilla:

I think it depends on when you use the 300GB, not how much you use. They've always said that peak hours cost them the most. This probably means that if I shift all my major downloads to before 5pm like I do, then I'd cost Teksavvy less than if I did my major downloads after 5pm

That's true, but I think HiVolt is also right.

If you assume the (unachievable) scenario where customers shift all downloads so that demand is constant all day every day, the CBB rate ($1400/mo/100 Mbps for Rogers) still implies a lower-bound cost of 4.4c/GB or $13.27/300 GB. Add that to the per-user cost (e.g., $19.25 for Rogers 10 Mbps), and that's a total cost paid to Rogers of $32.52 for a package with a retail price of $44.95 (which has to pay for other costs and profit).