uniqs
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

1 recommendation

Robrr to Guspaz

to Guspaz

Re: Thoughts on this part list for new PC

said by Guspaz:

60C is perfectly fine and normal for a CPU under load... the TCase for the 4570 (the point at which the CPU will begin throttling itself due to temperature) is ~73 degrees.

You're more than welcome to run those temps if you so choose on your hardware. I wouldn't recommend it personally and no one I work with would advise such high temps.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

The newer Intel CPU's don't need an aftermarket cooler, if you're concerned about cooling, disable q-fan control in the bios, or set it higher.
By default, it runs in quiet mode, bump it up a notch, it's faster but may make a little more noise.

60C is perfectly normal, bumping q-fan up a notch would have put it 45-53c.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to stormy13

to stormy13
said by stormy13:

said by dillyhammer:

Radeon? Really? A GeForce GTX 750 w/1GB GDDR5 would just scream with an i7. $139.

And sorry to say, with the exception of power draw pretty much get slapped silly by the 270X,

»www.anandtech.com/bench/ ··· ?vs=1130

If you are going to be doing any graphics work, especially 3D modelling/rendering Nvidia cards are better supported than AMD/ATI...

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada
(Software) pfSense
MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-RM
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

jtl999 to Nitra

to Nitra
From Newegg reviews for the CPU

"Supplied heatsink is mostly useful as a shiny paperweight"

"Nice quiet heatsync. just wish it was a little bigger"

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 19116991

I'm getting a Hyper 212 Evo which is compatible with the socket and should be ordering tomorrow/this weekend

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

Right.

I install dozens of these on a monthly basis.
This use to be an issue around the time of the e8400's, those would get quite hot at load, not anymore.
Would have been helpful if you read my comments, all new motherboards have q-fan enabled, if you adjust it, this temp issue will not happen.
Q-fan is made to let the system warm up and keep noise down.

jtl999
canada

jtl999

Ah well. The third party heatsync might come in handy when I decide to get a K CPU to overclock in a year or so.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

I have this on mine, Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Got it many moons ago, it's been on my systems like 4 generations.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to jtl999

to jtl999
Over all a good list, Seasonic is great choice for a power supply.

For Radeon cards, I'd recommend XFX over the Taiwan brands. They're support is the closest you get with Radeon cards to EVGA.

Other than that, good list of parts, good SSD and Memory choices.

jtl999
canada

jtl999

I find most Radeon costs the same except for the small things like factory overclocks. XFX has kind of given me a "meh" experience after having a defective card 2 years ago but that may have changed.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

I used ATI for many moons, swapped back to Nvidia back with the 670, have not looked back since.

Have a look at the Gigabyte cards with 3 fans on them, they're ice cold, even at full load.
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Pr ··· 20series

jtl999
canada

jtl999

Nah. The Twin Frozr seems good. Thanks anyway.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by jtl999:

Nah. The Twin Frozr seems good. Thanks anyway.

I had to Return my 290X DirectCU due to freeze ups and BSODs replaced it with a Twin Frozr, pretty happy with it after 48hrs

jtl999
canada
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

jtl999

That's unfortunate. In my experience it seems all video card manufacturers built on a common reference design have lemons.

I've "frozen" (ha) the parts list meaning I will not make changes to it and merely seeking input. Looks good according to all the people I talked to.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by jtl999:

In my experience it seems all video card manufacturers built on a common reference design have lemons.

The irony is that the DirectCU is entirely custom built from the ground up (and theoretically should have some of this stuff ironed out already) but Asus' terrible QC struck again. When I returned it to the store, I grabbed the MSI instead. My only other AMD card is an MSI and it's been rock solid since I installed it.

The only complaint I have about it, is because it's a reference card it's hot as hell, but my 290X is a Twin Frozr, and so it cools much better.

EQ

jtl999
canada

jtl999

Good to hear. I have a lot of nice fans in this future build already so I should be good.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

My case is an Element G, it's very well cooled for a mid-sized tower.

EQ

Spike5
Premium Member
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

Spike5 to Nitra

Premium Member

to Nitra
said by Nitra:

Right.

I install dozens of these on a monthly basis.
This use to be an issue around the time of the e8400's, those would get quite hot at load, not anymore.

Right, only while they are clean, which in most home environments isn't for very long.
Read my previous post about dumping warm air over the memory too. From an airflow perspective with regards to any modern PC case, the stock heatsink is horrible.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Spike5:

From an airflow perspective with regards to any modern PC case, the stock heatsink is horrible.

I'm not sure how you're coming to that conclusion, most modern cases and modern Stock HSFs are fine unless you're overclocking.

I was running a 3770 with two GTX670s in SLI, and I never saw heat over 40c on my CPU, the case was reasonably free of dust as well.

EQ

Spike5
Premium Member
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

Spike5

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

said by Spike5:

From an airflow perspective with regards to any modern PC case, the stock heatsink is horrible.

I'm not sure how you're coming to that conclusion, most modern cases and modern Stock HSFs are fine unless you're overclocking.

I was running a 3770 with two GTX670s in SLI, and I never saw heat over 40c on my CPU, the case was reasonably free of dust as well.

EQ

My FLIR camera hasn't lied yet.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

Your FLIR camera (thanks for making me look that up, it seems pretty interesting) can detect heat, but that doesn't mean that the heat escaping from the CPU/HSF is actually harmful to the RAM, in fact a good case should probably be moving it (the warm air) straight to the exhaust, with minimal exposure to the RAM, if it actually is hot enough to cause any damage.

I'm not actively monitoring the temps on my RAM, but I'll look into it when the CPU is under load and report back.
wisdomx
join:2012-09-07

wisdomx to jtl999

to jtl999
WHat's the difference between i3 i5 and i7 anyway?
if an i5 is quadcore and so is an i7... Is there much of a difference?

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass

Premium Member

Core i7 - more cache
Core i7 - more than 4 threads in hyperthreading
(e.g. 2 or 4 core i5 = 4 threads, 4 core i7 = 8 threads)
core i7 - six core (12 thread) versions available
core i7 - faster integrated graphics (intel 4600 or iris pro 5200) instead of the core i5's typical HD4000. (irrelevant if you're using external cards, but certainly of interest to laptop users or those using integrated graphics mobo's)
and of course - core i7's will run you more $ - usually $100-$200.

Those are the main ones -- there's some other differences as well that you can find with some google-fu.

jtl999
canada

jtl999

Ordered the PC with the parts from the parts list last night. NCIX was fast at applying over $200 in price matches

Maybe in a year or so I'll get a 4770k and OC it.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

NCIX is fairly good for price matching, I not so sure about the commitment of their RMA team when dealing with a problem however. During a partial build one of the components sent to me looked like it had been melted, while it was a rather obscure part it took them far too much time to deal with the issue, in both issuing the RMA and then sending a replacement. Again this was for a universal sort of part that I doubt anyone even uses anymore, I just wish they would have just moved faster on the issue, had they just issued a refund I could have shopped elsewhere for it rather than just waiting around.

Anyways happy building, I notice you don't have any thermal compound in the list, are you planing to use the stock pad or do you have another compound, if so what is it?

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to jtl999

Premium Member

to jtl999
Can I has a Actiontec root password?

Mike

jtl999
canada

jtl999 to Thane_Bitter

to Thane_Bitter
I have some MX-4 compound from 2011. Only used it once and still have some left.
jtl999

jtl999 to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
Randomly generated now, working on the algorithm

:-P

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

Can I has a Actiontec root password?

Wuts an Actiontec?

jtl999
canada
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

jtl999

Actiontec is a company that manufacturers DSL Modems/Routers. Think of it like Sagemcom in quality. The local DSL provider in BC (Telus) supplies them very locked down and uses several measures to prevent access to an advanced settings menu which among other things includes a working bridge mode.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by jtl999:

access to an advanced settings menu which among other things includes a working bridge mode.

Gotcha, all makes sense now.

EQ

edit: Just noticed your sig too, after posting.