spc
Search similar:

uniqs
smapdi
join:2003-07-07
Baldwin, NY

smapdi

[STB] Getting rid of STBs?

So I'm trying to reduce my bill and the only thing left is the monthly STB rental.

I was looking at getting a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime. Checking the compatibility list shows I can use it with Windows Media Center, XBOX, PS3 and Android. This would normally be a non-starter but then I thought about all these $50-100 Android boxes that have been popping up on Amazon lately. Has anyone tried using them to stream content from an HDHomeRun Prime? If they work well enough I think this would be a viable alternative.

Thoughts?
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin

[STB] Re: Getting rid of STBs?

Remember you still need a cable card. The fees on these were raised a bit back.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to smapdi

MVM

to smapdi
You might check these threads:
»Local TV without STB
»Alternative to FIOS STBs?
smapdi
Baldwin, NY

smapdi to tnsprin

to tnsprin
I know, the fee is $4.99/month in my area.
smapdi

smapdi to More Fiber

to More Fiber
Thanks @More_Fiber. I read both thread (actually started the second one :-P ). But I was more curious if anyone had experience running a similar setup.
OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

OwlSaver to smapdi

Premium Member

to smapdi
I have an HDHomeRun Prime and use XBOXes to access it. The new updates have broadened the devices you can use but I have not tried them. There are active forums on the Silicon Dust web site. Check there to see what devices are working for people.

Xela18954
join:2000-10-06
Richboro, PA

Xela18954 to smapdi

to smapdi
said by smapdi:

So I'm trying to reduce my bill and the only thing left is the monthly STB rental.

I was looking at getting a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime. Checking the compatibility list shows I can use it with Windows Media Center, XBOX, PS3 and Android. This would normally be a non-starter but then I thought about all these $50-100 Android boxes that have been popping up on Amazon lately. Has anyone tried using them to stream content from an HDHomeRun Prime? If they work well enough I think this would be a viable alternative.

Thoughts?

I am running Windows Media Center 7 on AMD A10 PC with Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe card. Using XBox360 as WMC extender in another room. Works quite well. It takes a bit of time upfront to build out a PC (if you are building one) and load all of the Windows software and do all of the necessary configuration. But once it is completed it works quite well. There is a lot of extras to WMC that make it a more complete experience than say a regular STB.

I considered getting TiVO Romio first but then the cost of boxes and having to pay TiVO for their service kind of defeats the purpose of trying not to pay cable company for their DVR rental. VZ FIOS DVR rental is $18/mo and TiVO service is about the same for their service. With PC I am paying only $5/mo for CableCARD and MS provides the guide data for free.

On other hand if you are regular user of PPV and VOD then non-STB solution is not an option for you. But linear channels are working quite well. If you are planning to watch/record encrypted and copy-controlled channels (HBO, MAX, TMC, Starz!, SHOW, etc.) then you have to use WMC. If you are watching only unencrypted channels then XBMC or other software is an option.
coppertubing
join:2008-03-28
Chester Springs, PA

coppertubing to smapdi

to smapdi
I have HDHomerun Prime and the HDHomerunTV app on my tablets and phone. The app can control channel changes and play content on the device, so I would think that you could hook up an android device to a large screen TV via hdmi. Or maybe use ChromeCast. You will need a quad-core if you want to stream HD.

dev_null
Pithy tag line goes here.
join:2002-08-14
New England
ARRIS S33
Asus RT-AC66U B1

1 edit

dev_null to smapdi

to smapdi
Anything that recognizes DLNA can be used with the Prime. I have had a Prime for about 2 years and have used it with:

- LG 47" TV with built-in DLNA support (look no boxes mom!)
- A Win7 laptop which functions as a DVR
- A WD Live TV
- Two Kindle Fires (1 via sideload of the Silicon Dust app, the other via "Mediahouse" app)
- A PS3 or two
- A WinXP laptop with VLC

The issue you will have is bandwidth. My house is wired, but originally I only had 100MB routers and switches. I got dropouts and pixelation. So I had to upgrade to 1000MB switches (~$50). I found that wireless (2.4gHz and 5gHz) really only delivers SD without pixelation and dropouts, unless you sit next to the router.

I'd suggest going for the WD Live TV (Newegg sometimes has them for $50), and wire it up (with 1000MB switches) for the cheapest best experience.

Figure an up front investment of a $200-$300 and a payback period of 1-2 years.

smapdi
Baldwin, NY

smapdi

said by dev_null:

Anything that recognizes DLNA can be used with the Prime. I have had a Prime for about 2 years and have used it with:

- LG 47" TV with built-in DLNA support (look no boxes mom!)
- A Win7 laptop which functions as a DVR
- A WD Live TV
- Two Kindle Fires (1 via sideload of the Silicon Dust app, the other via "Mediahouse" app)
- A PS3 or two
- A WinXP laptop with VLC

The issue you will have is bandwidth. My house is wired, but originally I only had 100MB routers and switches. I got dropouts and pixelation. So I had to upgrade to 1000MB switches (~$50). I found that wireless (2.4gHz and 5gHz) really only delivers SD without pixelation and dropouts, unless you sit next to the router.

I'd suggest going for the WD Live TV (Newegg sometimes has them for $50), and wire it up (with 1000MB switches) for the cheapest best experience.

Figure an up front investment of a $200-$300 and a payback period of 1-2 years.

I actually have a WD TV Live which is pretty good except for the random network dropoffs. (Woot has them for 49.99 today) I have a cat5e cable nearby where it is so getting gigabit is doable but I would have preferred going with 5GHz 802.11n or ac. MPEG2 compression strikes again....

How about streaming protected channels such as Showtime or HBO. Is that doable on the WD TV or do you need a media extender like an XBOX?

dev_null
New England
ARRIS S33
Asus RT-AC66U B1

dev_null

I use a monitoring tool (HD_Monitor_5_2, created by a user on the SiliconDust forum) that indicates an HD stream is 14-20Mbit/p/s, while SD is 6-8Mbit. So in theory wireless (esp 5gHz) should be able to handle the throughput, but my experience is otherwise. I don't think the Lives do 5gHz, tho, and my 2.4gHz is crowded with neighbors. I did use the Live wirelessly (2.4gHz) with SD channels and had some dropouts.

I don't subscribe to any premiums, but VZ has a free preview of HBO this weekend. I just checked and the PS3 shows HBO fine, but the Live does not. None of the channels marked [drm] seem to work on the Live.
smapdi
Baldwin, NY

smapdi

You're right about the Live not supporting 5GHz but thankfully I live out in Long Island,NY and only have about 4 other 2.4GHz AP's nearby.

I figured the DRM stuff would be blocked which is why I was thinking of going around it by getting a $60 Android device like this:

»www.amazon.com/Keedox%C2 ··· a+player

And then using the SiliconDust app to stream the DRM channels to it.

dev_null
New England
ARRIS S33
Asus RT-AC66U B1

dev_null

Mmmm, reviews not so much. I didn't see anyone confirm specific ability to play DRM protected channels, you may wish to confirm (tho with Amz, I guess you could send it back if it didn't work).

For the record, neither the SiliconDust app nor the Mediahouse app can view those DRM channels on my tablet, but the device above *may* be different, but you may want to confirm with others.

Also, the SiliconDust app maxes out a dual-core ARM7 processor (1.5gHz) on a tablet - 95-98% when viewing HD programming.
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA

mikev to smapdi

Premium Member

to smapdi

Re: [STB] Getting rid of STBs?

You will need to use Windows Media Center - it's the only compatible option - for any DRM/copy protect channels.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy

The HDHomeRun app does play protected channels. Doesn't do HD very well though. They demoed a new app for Android TV at Google I/O, so it might be worth waiting for that.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

There are very few protected channels that I come across, except the pay ones (HBO, SHO, etc). There may be a few random ones and ESPN but I use Plex/Roku to play non protected content on my infrequent TV's or Sling. Those can be VoD tho through their apps, so not a problem.

Ceton MyMedia Center is an awesome app to schedule and look at recordings remotely.

AS for protected content, has to adhere to DTCP-IP I believe and the only two I know of are windows media center and the defunct HDHR app. Sounds like it is coming back.

You will wonder why people drop $50 a month for STB setups when you can create something better for much less.

Note: Xbox extenders do NOT like wireless, and do best w/ gig switches or Moca only. Dont even try wireless.

bigdaddy
join:2009-11-18

bigdaddy

Is Showtime encrypted now ?
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy to elefante72

to elefante72
How can an app that is less than 6 months old be defunct? Anyway, they just issued a press release saying they're about to release an update for it that adds guide listings.

»www.silicondust.com/comp ··· he-news/
spc111
join:2003-12-09
NJ

spc111 to Xela18954

to Xela18954

Re: [STB] Re: Getting rid of STBs?

said by Xela18954:

On other hand if you are regular user of PPV and VOD then non-STB solution is not an option for you. But linear channels are working quite well. If you are planning to watch/record encrypted and copy-controlled channels (HBO, MAX, TMC, Starz!, SHOW, etc.) then you have to use WMC. If you are watching only unencrypted channels then XBMC or other software is an option.

I'd just like to clear something up. Some people seem to be using the term "encrypted" when they are really referring to "copy protected" channels.

As far as I know, ALL channels except for locals are encrypted. This is what the CableCard is for, decrypting these channels. Any device that is compatible with DLNA can view all encrypted and non-encrypted channels, except for channels that are copy protected.

For viewing/recording copy protected channels (also know as copy-once), you need a DTCP-IP enabled device (as opposed to DLNA). The devices I know that support this protocol are Windows Media Center and the PS3. There may be others with which I am unfamiliar.

Also, the ONLY channels on FiOS that are copy protected are the HBO and Cinemax group of channels. All others (including all the other premium movie channels like Showtime and Starz!) have no copy protection and therefore you only need a DLNA device to view/record them.