how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rprice54

join:2014-06-25
us

Home Fusion vs Satellite

So apparently ATT is cutting out DSL in our area. Once an account is closed, that location is gone forever. We are buying a house that had DSL but now has nothing, and ATT won't open the node back up. Awesome. They are pushing everyone to Uverse, except Uverse isn't out there and they don't anticipate ever adding it. "We are done with our 5 yr Uverse roll out in the area, if you don't have it now, don't count on getting it in the future." I don't understand a business model that looses customers and doesn't add any new ones. Seems like a guaranteed fail, but that's just me.

So I'm stuck with some type of wireless solution. I've narrowed it down to Home Fusion and Exede satellite. Verizon is cheaper per GB and faster. I went out with a Verizon phone, 3-4 bars of LTE signal, 25Mbps downloads on the phone, so it's workable. Exede advertises 12Mbps. Lets face it, video streaming is out with these capped plans, so this should be plenty fast for email. They are more expensive per GB, and there are some up front install fees, but I can get unlimited downloads from 12a-5a, so for the occasional movie download, software update, etc I could schedule it and not use up all my data. No contract with Exede, which makes me lean that way to give it a try. Home Fusion has a 2 year contract. That's a long time to be locked in if it sucks.

I've seen horror stories from Home Fusion users, but most of those are from 2012 and early adopters. Has the service matured any? Are people still getting frequent resets?

xrayman

join:2008-12-09
Kansas City
kudos:1

Satellite Internet not a good experience. I would not go back to that again. I lived with WildBlue for over 5 years. I now use Verizon LTE (not Home Fusion but same network) as one of my internet connections. It is very fast and ping times are low. You will never get low pin times on conventional geosynchronous satellites. Every time a rain storm came over out went our WildBlue internet connection. Same for heavy snow storms. The Verizon keeps on working no matter what the weather is doing.
Exede most likely would be ok for big downloads in the middle of the night but for regular web surfing I would never get it.

xrayman

Kansas City
reply to rprice54

Are you sure about that no contract with Exede?
»www.exede.com/documents/master/e···imer.pdf

rprice54

us

didn't see that, there ya go. So has Verizon figured out the disconnect issues? I've read where people really can't use it to download files due to frequent disconnects and having to reset the cantenna frequently.

xrayman

Kansas City

I can't speak to the problems people are having with the Home Fusion equipment but my experience with Verizon LTE has been good. I know sometimes I had some disconnect and reconnect but not very frequently. Hopefully someone that has Home Fusion will chime in on this. But from the lack of recent postings on this forum about Home Fusion problems it must be better now.

Xtreme2damax

join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY
reply to rprice54

I don't have home fusion but I have Verizon Lte after I found out I could get Lte from Verizon. I read on Amazon reviews after I purchased the device several had problems with constant disconnects. However since I received, activated and have been using the device I can keep it up for hours and even days without a disconnect.

That is quite impressive considering I can only get three bars of Lte with the device in a window with an rssi of around -80db. If I take the device out of the window it drops to one bar of Lte then further to 3G and 1x mode if I go elsewhere around the house even outside with it!

So I think it's safe to say the experience of some will not affect everyone across the board and might be satisfactory. Watch it though if you go with HF with my device/plan Verizon is slow to update usage, it can take hours or almost a day for usage to update. Since there is that much delay you could end up using way more data than you think. I'm unsure when usage finally updates that it's actual current usage nor am I unsure how accurate meter is. Oddly it seems they report more usage than what I believe I'm using. Some normal browsing ate up like over 100MB when usage updated, those pages didn't have many images or large images. Pages with several or large images, streaming audio or video can eat away a lot of usage if not careful. I use adblock, flashblock plus a data compression proxy to try cutting down on usage. At $10 per GB if you aren't careful it could cost well over a hundred dollars. I have to keep an eye on Steam to make sure no games auto-update or download on their own. Plus disabling automatic updates might be a good idea. What I did is disable auto updates of anything then review how much data each update will consume and keep an eye on usage. What I'm going to do is do any large downloads with leftover data at the end of the billing cycle right before usage resets.

Btw unused data doesn't rollover correct? That would be a nice feature for those of us that have no other options for internet.

Sorry for the tl;dr, sometimes I get carried away and have trouble simplifying stuff. I have a habit of over-explaining and overcomplicating things so I apologize for any extra reading anyone had to do.
--

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
reply to rprice54

A little off topic but I wouldn't buy a house unless it had decent broadband available but that's just me.
--
Stop the Comcast-Time Warner merger, I'd rather Time Warner buy out Comcast.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to rprice54

said by rprice54:

So apparently ATT is cutting out DSL in our area. Once an account is closed, that location is gone forever. We are buying a house that had DSL but now has nothing, and ATT won't open the node back up. Awesome. They are pushing everyone to Uverse, except Uverse isn't out there and they don't anticipate ever adding it. "We are done with our 5 yr Uverse roll out in the area, if you don't have it now, don't count on getting it in the future." I don't understand a business model that looses customers and doesn't add any new ones. Seems like a guaranteed fail, but that's just me.

AT&T and Verizon (wireline) are both trying to shutter DSL Service.

My advice, before you go and start buying a Satellite or LTE connection, see if you can find a company like DSLExtreme that will resell DSL to you at the new home. Sometimes just by getting a reseller or third party involved, you can force the local incumbent to give you DSL. The same goes with having a local friendly contact in AT&T, who might be able to slip you a port on the DSLAM. You could even try ordering business service.

Failing that, if you're in an area that has a Cable company just within reach but not quite, there's a few options you can go down. Some areas require per franchise agreements that the cable company service every home in a region. You might be covered by such an agreement and the cable company should build out their network at their expense. In other cases, if you have some neighbors who would be willing to sign up for Cable service, and there is plant not too far, sometimes requesting cable services as a group and putting some money on the table to cover construction fees will be enough to get Coaxial out your way.

Afterwards, failing that, you'll have to weigh your options. Does having night time download free periods and no contracts seem appealing, or does higher speeds and latency acceptable for playing games and running real-time applications appeal more?

duffman45200

join:2010-09-20
reply to rprice54

Look for a WISP

rprice54

us

I've called and begged and pleaded with folks. No other DSL service available, we are set up for a Verizon Home Fusion install next week, but in the meantime I forgot I had a buddy who was a supervisor for the local technicians. He may have an idea....

tdumaine
Premium
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

said by rprice54:

I've called and begged and pleaded with folks. No other DSL service available, we are set up for a Verizon Home Fusion install next week, but in the meantime I forgot I had a buddy who was a supervisor for the local technicians. He may have an idea....

beware phantom data usage and expect to see usage of 5 to 20gb more than your actual used. Some with usage tracking on the router will show 20gb used downstream with verizon billing out 25 to 40gb used and verizon cant seem to find that hidden data nor account for it. They arent interested in finding it even

viper03af

@166.249.133.x
reply to Smith6612

where would i find such info about the cable agreement? charter stopped installing cable less than a mile from my house

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

said by viper03af :

where would i find such info about the cable agreement? charter stopped installing cable less than a mile from my house

You can talk to your local town board, or whoever maintains records of the utilities for your area to see what sort of deal is made with the cable company.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to rprice54

said by rprice54:

So apparently ATT is cutting out DSL in our area. Once an account is closed, that location is gone forever.

Well that's an interesting way to retire DSL.

In one town near me they stopped taking new orders over a year ago due to "port exhaustion" and you had to get on a waiting list for DSL.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
reply to rprice54

LTE Internet (Installed) is the NEW name.

its NO LONGER called Home Fusion.... its called

LTE Internet (Installed).