Search similar:

uniqs

modemport
join:2013-08-26
Montreal, QC

modemport

[Homephone] @%^&@$#%$ BHell

/rant

just received an email notice for my upcoming payment for BHell.
landline. no services. no long distance or plan.
the @&%^@#! jacked up the monthly payment by 2.69$
the cost of maintaining copper lines is freaking ludicrously low but they don't hesitate to rip us off on landline pricing.
july 2009 i was paying 26.85$ -- july 2014 it's 39.26$

a @$%Y@!! increase of 46.2% over a 5 yr period.

/end rant
levian
join:2011-04-17

1 edit

levian

Ah, I was wondering what this $2.70 increase (again) on my bill was. Anyway, this will probably be my last contract with Bell (I promise! ), I'm kind of tired calling Bell retention every time and having my monthly payment slowly creeping up anyway

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to modemport

Premium Member

to modemport
Actually, copper is very labour intensive (and that means expensive) to maintain...

And with more and more people dropping landlines in favour of cell/voip/digital voice; the fixed maintenance costs for the outside plant get split across fewer and fewer subs. Which means a greater cost per user...

FTTH is actually much less expensive to maintain, which is part of the driver to install new areas as fibre, and overlay old areas (like Verizon did after Sandy) with fibre.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

This is also why in brownfield developments if you call in at anytime to upgrade or change a dsl plan they will force you onto FTTH and if you refuse, they will drop dsl and iptv if you have it from your account leaving you with just POTS. FTTH is cheaper in the long run and they don't want customers on copper or fttn where ftth is available.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by btech805:

This is also why in brownfield developments if you call in at anytime to upgrade or change a dsl plan they will force you onto FTTH and if you refuse, they will drop dsl and iptv if you have it from your account leaving you with just POTS. FTTH is cheaper in the long run and they don't want customers on copper or fttn where ftth is available.

also since the fibre has no scrap value its less prone to pilfering. I remember when they were building a highway near my house in the 90s, the old copper lines were exposed for a few days (buried cable) they had a security guard watching them.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

Wrong, we have to keep gps units in the reels of fibre expertech and our structured cabling teams use as they quite often go missing. But yes you are correct there is no scrap value and once they're up they don't often go missing.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to modemport

Premium Member

to modemport
Years ago, while working aerial construction in Northern Ontario, I actually had big signs made up that said 'Fibre Optic - No Scrap Value' that we'd nail to the spools when dropping them for the night or weekend. It worked, never had one messed with the entire summer we were on the job...

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to btech805

Premium Member

to btech805
said by btech805:

Wrong, we have to keep gps units in the reels of fibre expertech and our structured cabling teams use as they quite often go missing. But yes you are correct there is no scrap value and once they're up they don't often go missing.

New reels of fibre can go missing, absolutely. But people won't dig it up out of the ground to steal after it's already installed like they will with copper.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to btech805

to btech805
said by btech805:

But thats what i meant, the spools yes have a lot of value, but fibre once on a pole or in the ground isnt somthing likely to get stolen. We shut down for 2 weeks and one of our sites that is a campus with 16 buildings had its 100 pair tie cable stolen right off the poles