scheb
Premium Member
join:2007-04-14
Frisco, TX

6 recommendations

scheb

Premium Member

Back to piracy

Now that SCOTUS has killed legal means of television over the internet, it's back to places like Ustream and torrents for live/recorded TV.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

Which will simply pave the road for metered internet for virtually all ISPs. I Love TV evolution ! lol

As if these criminals were OK with PAYING Aereo, please.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

ArrayList

Premium Member

you really need to get off your high horse criminal.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to scheb

Premium Member

to scheb
said by scheb:

Now that SCOTUS has killed legal means of television over the internet, it's back to places like Ustream and torrents for live/recorded TV.

I believe AEREO provided a service of broadcasting television channels over the internet that are also available using other means, such as satellite, cable, or telco service, so you don't have to resort to piracy. Especially since many companies (such as DirecTV, TWC) offer internet viewing as well if you have one of their packages.

I also believe, that unlike Satellite, Cable and U-Verse/Fios and the like they did NOT pay for the re-distribution of the signals for main broadcast networks, where the former named all do pay a fee per subscriber.

Technically speaking this should not have to mean the death of this particular type of service, just the type of this particular business model. I would imagine that if a company strikes similar deals with channels as if they were a cable/sat company, they could still create a business that operates on the internet, it would just be about twice as expensive as it is now. Of course the networks would be very reluctant to sign such an agreement.

I think the key issue of this ruling is that AEREO distributed signals without authorization. Yes you can receive the signals for free from the air, but it doesn't give people the right to re-distribute them.

NFL pirate
@68.190.153.x

1 recommendation

NFL pirate to ITALIAN926

Anon

to ITALIAN926
I Would have been happy to I'd it was available in my area which it was not. I've tried pretty much antenna out there best I got was 1 channel. I rent so a roof antenna has never been an option my main use for it would be football and since I can't so that without an illegal stream I will continue to do so.
big_e
join:2011-03-05

1 recommendation

big_e to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
ISPS want capped internet due to legal streaming services like Amazon and Netflix competing against their own video services, not piracy.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

and in the past Comcast did not want to overload nodes

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to scheb

Premium Member

to scheb
They also killed leasing companies since Aereo only leases equipment now it is illegal to lease equipment.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Yes, ONLY, smh
scheb
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

scheb to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
Wonder what they're going to do with all their equipment? It'd be nice to buy it and then create a nonprofit org or a co-op. Let's see the SCOTUS tackle that one.

"It's for the children!"

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

Really, the only thing they invented was the pico antenna array so they could have thousands of antennas in small space to lease out.
Each antenna is just connected to a server that runs the DVR software and harddrives.

The users leased one of the pico antennas, the DVR space, and software and watched whatever their pico antenna picked up.

The small antenna array is what make the leasing service 100% legal since they dont have to retransmit.
Another company can buy their gear and legally provide the same leasing service, but they will get sued by cable companies even though the equipment leasing is 100% legal.
scheb
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

1 recommendation

scheb

Premium Member

So that means the forerunner of cable companies would be illegal now? CATV was designed to bring TV to places that didn't have broadcast signals, right?

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

CATV was designed to have several community antenna with really good reception and to split that signal to many customers in the viewing area.
They also work out advertising deals with the OTA channels as part of their retransmission.

Aereo was designed to lease you an antenna and dvr over a long cord. There is no law limiting the length of your cord.
Each customer has their own antenna and the customer can only watch what that antenna picks up.

Aereo has nothing to do with the content. They dont retransmit. They dont splice in local advertisements. They dont play infomercials at 3am on the channel.
Aereo just leases you the antenna and dvr and that is it.

PaulHikeS2
join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA

1 recommendation

PaulHikeS2

What is this cord you are speaking of? My understanding was that they receive the signals through an array of micro antennas and then the signal is transmitted through IP to a receiver. There is no long cord that you have continually posted about. If there were, there would be no problem.
FrontirCynic
join:2006-10-25
Long Beach, CA

1 recommendation

FrontirCynic to scheb

to scheb
Absolutely correct. best way to force stuff underground is to do what the music industry did. Now TV is going to learn the hard way. Just try to stop the file sharing people. Oh well live and learn
FrontirCynic

1 recommendation

FrontirCynic to PaulHikeS2

to PaulHikeS2
This is all about protecting the big guys and stifling innovation which they dont understand. Ok now onto approving the comcast merger, and eliminating net neutrality and we will be done just in time for 2014 elections....
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to scheb

to scheb
I don't think that matters when it involves copyright. Non-profit organizations are not above the law. Lots of churches have to be careful when they copy a portion of the Bible. Although I'm pretty sure the Biblical source text in Greek and Hebrew is public domain, various interpretations are copyright. Church's that copy these pages and reprint for study classes or in pamphlets are violating copyright.
scheb
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

1 recommendation

scheb to FrontirCynic

Premium Member

to FrontirCynic
From the Comcast site for my area:

Limited Basic (10+ channels) - no hd/no dvr
$30.15/mo + below the line fees

Aereo (broadcast channels) - hd quality/20 hrs dvr
$8 (+ fees?)

I wonder why SCOTUS sided with the broadcasters???
FrontirCynic
join:2006-10-25
Long Beach, CA

FrontirCynic to rradina

to rradina
WWJD?

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to PaulHikeS2

to PaulHikeS2
Yes, r81984, what is this "cord" you keep speaking of?. If someone has hughesNet as an ISP and uses Aereo, WHERE is your CORD? lol
»www.merriam-webster.com/ ··· ary/cord I see nothing in there about fiber optic lines wrapping around the planet either.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to scheb

to scheb
Well you're not going "back" to piracy. Without a proper retransmission agreement it pretty much was always piracy.
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes to scheb

to scheb
fat cats.... just had a heart attack with the great news they got. sadly they did not die. their using their massive wealth to cheat death

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984 to scheb

Premium Member

to scheb
said by scheb:

No they did not make any ruling that would apply to television over the internet.

This decision just says that a company cannot lease you equipment and an antenna with a long cord if that company can be "viewed" as "cable company like". So a company needs to find a away to lease antennas without "looking" like a cable company.

The supreme court only ruled against them because they said they had the likeness of a cable company. Which, of course, makes no sense at all.
6 of the 9 supreme court justices are just morons.
r81984

r81984 to PaulHikeS2

Premium Member

to PaulHikeS2
said by PaulHikeS2:

What is this cord you are speaking of? My understanding was that they receive the signals through an array of micro antennas and then the signal is transmitted through IP to a receiver. There is no long cord that you have continually posted about. If there were, there would be no problem.

Lol, the long cord comes from their antenna, to the DVR server that you lease, through a transceiver that you pay for, to their router that you pay for, to their ISP that you pay a for, across the internet that you pay for, through your ISP that you pay for, to your router that you pay for, to your computer to watch it.

The end user pays for the entire long cord from the antenna to their computer.

It is no different than hooking your antenna to a dvr, then to a transceiver, over a long cord, to another transciever, to your tv. No difference at all and both scenarios are perfectly legal according to the law.
Anyone that claims they are different lacks the capability to understand technical processes.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Not only do you like to make your own rules, you like to create your own definitions. Cord? Like really?

Aereo is dead, and nobody will dare recreate their experiment.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Which will simply pave the road for metered internet for virtually all ISPs.

As if the ISPs needed a reason (beyond greed) to impose metered billing.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

1 recommendation

78036364 (banned) to scheb

to scheb
said by scheb:

Boss won't give me a raise I feel I deserve. back to embezzlement.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to scheb

Premium Member

to scheb
said by scheb:

point is that it was never legal in the first place.
scheb
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

scheb

Premium Member

So how did the cable cos. get away with it originally?
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned)

said by scheb:

So how did the cable cos. get away with it originally?

Because it was over 50 years ago and laws have changed since then. Heck it wasn't even until 1987 before pay TV overtook OTA.