uniqs

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Bell line screwy, 3rd party ISP, Bell says "can't fix"

A friend of mine has an issue at their place of business whereby their third party ISP can't set a profile higher than 1 Mbps on their phone line, despite the area's capability of supporting more.

The ISP states this is a problem with the line that they can't fix and the lousy overseas Bell support states they can't do anything about the issue and the client must have a dry loop installed.

At no point did the Bell tech ask for any identifying information and my friend is more than likely going to switch to cable for phone and internet since my friend suggests "everything except the internet goes through Bell, the lines are Bell's..." followed by expletives.

The issue is not a filter problem or a problem past the jacks, this was diagnosed thoroughly (basically by disconnecting everything and plugging in only the modem).

With that being said, can anyone educate me as to why Bell can't help for lines deployed by Bell and possibly shared with other equipment and if the ISP orders the dryloop as Bell stated is required, who supports this dryloop? The alternative DSL ISP? I could not be appropriately educated by Bell as their support reps weren't so clear in communications nor entirely helpful other than basically stating this is not our problem (just as the ISP states).
lawrence171
join:2001-12-24
Canada

lawrence171

It is all ROI. There is no urgency by anyone at Bell to get anything done.

Dilbert speaks the truth as to how decisions are made at large companies:

»www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· PA#t=220

hlo207
join:2012-11-16
North York, ON

hlo207 to urbanriot

to urbanriot

Re: Bell line screwy, 3rd party ISP, Bell says "can't fix"

No rush especially when a 3rd party ISP is involved.

Last time I complained about lack of speed on my former copper wire (Have phone and Fibe 15/10), they were out quick. While the Bell tech was checking the line at the back of the yard I decided to ask him what is that thick blank cable with strange things on it at the poles..... He looked and confirmed my beliefs, FIBRE OPTIC!!

If you can somehow cause a breakage of the line, maybe they will get out faster. There is some kind of law that they have to repair a phone line with 24 hrs. Something they worked hard on even after the ice storm.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

Yes there is a fine paid for every landline out of service more than 24 hrs after we are notified of the outage. Not sure of the fine amount but it has to be pretty pricey because they do care about this internally. I think there is a "disaster" clause though during times like the ice storm this past winter that gives us a little more time during mass outages
jibby
join:2008-03-31

jibby

the 'requirement' is that 80% of out of service issues are fixed within 24 hours, measured on a quarterly basis.

if this isnt met, the CRTC asks for an explanation. Bell says 'omg ice storm' and it's all good. If they don't accept the explanation, they MAY be warned, fined or maybe nothing.

and that still leaves 20% that can languish in hell for who knows how long. i went 3 weeks without phone service because Bell kept sending normal techs instead of the 'riser crew' that every tech said needed to be dispatched when they showed up.

Bell was using the 24 hr 'fine' as a stick to beat techs into putting in more hours. i guarantee you no fines were issued because of the ice storm and if it pushed them above 20% im sure the CRTC let it slide
btech805
Canada

btech805

Yes the guys down there were forced working 7 days a week for a few weeks at a time

hlo207
join:2012-11-16
North York, ON

hlo207 to urbanriot

to urbanriot
My new above ground fibre optics survived, caked in ice and sagging lower. My smart thinking during installation probably saved it. I asked the tech to run it away from the property line where there is a row of tall pine trees that tend to sag in wet snow. One of those snapped half way up in the ice storm. The R.O.W. has lots of huge fallen branches from the bigger 50+ feet trees but the old trees where the line snaked through acted as a shield.

My neighbor lost the copper wire line when a branch fell after the storm on Sunday. Bell tech came out Monday. The neighbor went out with the chainsaw to clear any obstacle that would prevent the tech to work.
btech805
Canada

btech805

That is always appreciated. I can understand when people haven't had bell or rogers out for 10-15 years things get over grown. But there's times ive run new drops to the house that were damn near impossible to do or even get to the pole. I love trees as much as the next guy but if you know we need access to it, I wish more customers were like your neighbor and gave a quick trimming.

And don't get me started on sheds!