dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

Apparently corporate money has found it's way to the Supreme Court

This Supreme Court decision defies all logic and the public good, which leads me to believe that big, evil corporate money has found it's way into the pockets of Supreme Court justices. I'm beginning to hate the country I live in and feel sorry for the future generations who's lives will be controlled by corporations instead of democratic governments.

batman
@50.182.54.x

batman

Anon

said by 8744675:

This Supreme Court decision defies all logic and the public good, which leads me to believe that big, evil corporate money has found it's way into the pockets of Supreme Court justices. I'm beginning to hate the country I live in and feel sorry for the future generations who's lives will be controlled by corporations instead of democratic governments.

Nonsense. No one bought the SC. Their long standing philosophies was all that was needed to support the status quo of backing copyright as a key part of US export business. That is protecting US jobs in one of the few areas left that provides positive trade benefits to US companies.
Millenium
join:2013-10-30

Millenium to 8744675

to 8744675
I don't think it defies logic or public good. There is just no way to avoid the fact that Aereo is necessarily selling the content too.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

said by Millenium:

I don't think it defies logic or public good. There is just no way to avoid the fact that Aereo is necessarily selling the content too.

Except they weren't selling the content. They are selling access to an antenna and providing cloud based DVR of the free OTA broadcasts to individuals in that geographic restricted area.
Millenium

Millenium

And necessarily, the content too. Or were they not sending any content to their subscribers?

morbo

1 recommendation

morbo

You'd have a point if OTA cost money. The reality is OTA is free and legal for consumers, and that is why Aereo wasn't selling content. Aereo was selling access within their markets to OTA broadcasts.
Millenium

Millenium

said by morbo:

and that is why Aereo wasn't selling content.

But yes they were. "And necessarily, the content too. Or were they not sending any content to their subscribers?"
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to batman

to batman
Indirectly, they were bought. The lawmakers who confirm the Supreme Court justices are bought off, that's for sure.

morbo

morbo to Millenium

to Millenium
It is clear we disagree.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to morbo

Premium Member

to morbo
said by morbo:

Aereo was selling access...

And there is the difference.
OTA is not actually free, it is broadcast prepaid for by the broadcaster revenue from ads.
As the licensee they have both rights and responsibilities as to whom they broadcast to and who they can sub license the content too.
Usually they only can broadcast to those who directly receive the OTA, and they can relicense over satellite and cable systems but they still maintain the control (and revenue)
AEREO failed to relicense the content.
Millenium

Millenium to morbo

to morbo
No worries!

I don't use Aereo or give a crap about broadcasters. I think it is interesting though.

morbo

1 recommendation

morbo

I don't use it either, but if it was available here I would have subscribed ages ago. I saw an Aereo win as the true beginning of a la carte. I think this is a setback that will add years to the end goal.
Millenium

Millenium

Netflix's commercial-free experience has spoiled me.

But ya, $7 per month for a few channels beats cable any day.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

IPPlanMan to 8744675

to 8744675
Two of those justices siding with the broadcasters are there because corporate money found its way to the White House in the form of its current occupant.