how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rprice54

join:2014-06-25
us

Verizon Edge- check my math

As per my earlier post about broadband internet, I am interested in dropping my ATT wireless for Verizon. At our new house the ATT coverage is very bad. Verizon seems to be strong. We each have iPhones, with a shared family plan of 10GB we pay $130/mo.

I'm not interested in upgrading early, but I am interested in the per-month discount. All this assumes I can keep the phone after I pay it off completely? Or do I have to trade it in even if I've made all payments? That would be the catch.

But if we go with the traditional 2 year agreement we've done in the past:
$200 for the phone up front, pay the regular monthly payments, and upgrade every two years like I've done before, since I'm paying a subsidized monthly payment, I go ahead and upgrade. Phone costs $200 out of pocket(really $800= $200 up front, $600 in higher monthly payments).

With Edge, nothing up front for the phone. $650 in payments over the next 20 months, but $600 in savings with decreased monthly bill of $25x24 months. So the phone only 'costs' me $50. Then, when I'm done paying of the phone, I'm assuming the bill stays at the $25 discount or does it go back up? Because if the discount stays, then I keep my phone until it dies. I don't need latest and greatest. And I keep my phone.

Am I missing anything?

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27

VZW 10Gig family access is $100 on it's own. $15 per phone access charge, so for a family of 2 that's $30 so you are up to 130 a month. Now add iPhone 5S at at 32.49 a month, so again for a family of 2 that's 64.98 for a grand total of 194.98 + taxes, fees, etc and you are looking at around 210-220 range a month. At least that's how I understand their rip-off edge pricing.

rprice54

us

The monthly plan is what it is. It's the same either way, so remove that from the equation. The question is- if I pay $200 up front and then $600 higher monthly fees for the phone, it seems cheaper to just pay $650 for the phone and pocket the $600 in savings from a $25 credit each month.

Dodge
Premium
reply to rprice54

I honestly don't see where the plan is supposed to save money, it basically boils down to the question of do you want to be out of the phone money now, or over time. The grand totals are going to be identical over the 2 years.

rprice54

us

Except they aren't the same after two years if the numbers I have are correct. What am I missing?

Dodge
Premium
reply to rprice54

24 months of payment on edge x 1 lines (just the phone) = 32.49 x 1 x 24 = 779.76 for the phone
24 months of edge discount = 25 x 24 = 600
so you are still overpaying 179.76 on the phone.

I don't see where the edge savings come from at all.

rprice54

us

I tried to reply but doesn't look like it posted.

No edge: $200 for phone + $600 higher monthly fee.

Edge: $650 for phone (32.50x20 months, not 24) - $600 less in fees.

Unless I can't keep the phone it's a win. That's my question.

Dodge
Premium

didn't realize it was 20 months. I'm pretty sure you keep your phone either way, but I think verizon reps on chat or the phone would be better suited to confirm.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

You keep the phone if it is paid off. You don't keep the phone if you exercise the edge up upgrade.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to rprice54

I have 3 edge lines.

2 htc m8 bill has not go up or down i am on old edge rules.

Htc m8 = 25$
And 25$ discount in next 2 yrs (20months now left)

Bill would same as it was before because of the discounts.

Equipement charges 50$ and 50$ discount on 2 htc m8

MemphisPCGuy
Taking Care Business
Premium
join:2004-05-09
Memphis, TN
reply to rprice54

The way I'm reading it, you only receive the monthly discount on phones currently on the Verizon Edge Plan. I understand that to mean once the phone is paid in full (you are no longer making EDGE Plan payments), you lose the line discount for that phone.
--
Yes, I Will Fix Your #@$!! Computer
»www.memphispcguy.com

rprice54

us

I finally called about this. The discount continues, it's just not edge any more. If you have a paid off phone they give you the same discount. You do keep the phone. So if you don't have to upgrade, you go on making the same smaller payments.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to MemphisPCGuy

said by MemphisPCGuy:

The way I'm reading it, you only receive the monthly discount on phones currently on the Verizon Edge Plan. I understand that to mean once the phone is paid in full (you are no longer making EDGE Plan payments), you lose the line discount for that phone.

Wrong.

Out Of Contract discount applies.

25$ for 10GB - or ++
250mb-8GB gets you 10$ off.

RouterRooter

join:2001-11-22
Rockville, MD

Be aware that, at least as of a few months ago, the line access discount was not applied automatically. You (or a rep) had to manually add it as a feature on applicable lines. Really dopey, or, deceptive.

join:2014-05-06
USA
reply to MemphisPCGuy

said by MemphisPCGuy:

WRONG. You get a discount if you're of contract. My contract ended July 2nd I haven't upgraded and since I'm on a 6 GB plan I get a $10 monthly discount.