spc
Search similar:

uniqs

misterkeeks
@63.152.69.x

misterkeeks

Anon

Best replacement DSL modem?

I currently have a PK5000z that I rent from CenturyLink. I have no issues with this modem, it seems to be much more reliable than cable modems I have had. I don't use/need a wireless feature, I have a wireless router.

Anyways, I am wondering what the best modem for a 12 Mbit (may be upgraded to 20) connection would be? I am getting good speeds with the PK5000z, should I buy one off of eBay and stick with that?

TAZ
join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ

TAZ

There's been several threads about this (some of which I've commented in). My own advice, which mirrors the advice of many others on this forum, is here. All of those will work with your service whether it is ADSL2+ (as it is now, since you're using the PK5000z) or VDSL2 (if CL ever upgrades you).

misterkeeks
@63.152.69.x

misterkeeks

Anon

So all of those recommended should perform better than the PK5000z?

Misterkeeks
@63.152.69.x

Misterkeeks

Anon

Also, is the increased performance enough to justify the extra expense? In terms of outages/overheating the PK5000z seems just fine, what are the advantages of the others?
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw to misterkeeks

to misterkeeks
It depends on what you mean by "better." If 20M will be delivered to you by ADSL2+, then your PK5000 (A or Z) should handle it just fine.

The main reasons I would upgrade if the PK5000 does everything you need are....
1) You want to use a non-CL router, such as the Netgear DGN D3700 or D6200 in order to get gigabit Ethernet, or dual band wireless.
2) You want a pure bridge so you can use your own router, such as a Linksys EA6900.
3) You are upgraded to VDSL2, in which case you need a Q100, Q1000 series, C1000 series, or Q/C2000 series modem. (There are a few unbranded devices that work, but they cost a lot more than the CenturyLink devices, there are no pure bridges at all, CenturyLink's bridged mode works very well and very consistently anyway and you'll pay 2.5x what a CL modem costs to get something that doesn't even have gigabit LAN ports or dual band wireless.

If you're already bridging your PK5000z to use with your current router, then there's really no extra performance or reliability to be had somewhere else, at least until your PK5000z does kick the bucket or CL does upgrade your circuit.

TAZ
join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ

TAZ to Misterkeeks

to Misterkeeks
If you're on ADSL2+ and bridging, none of them will offer any performance benefit over what you have now. The only advantage would be future compatibility with VDSL2 if it was ever used in your area. Whether or not that's worth the extra $25 (keeping in mind that, if this did occur, you could buy another modem, and there is still a fairly substantial likelihood of it not occurring; it's a gamble) is up to you.

The PK5000z isn't as common around here as the listed VDSL2 modems, but it is ZyXEL and doesn't have a poor reputation. If it works for you now and your objective is to spend the least amount possible now, or if you don't think that gamble will pay off, I see no reason not to buy one off eBay for ~$20.