uniqs

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

I think if you camp out on the side of the road...

.... you can't be arrested. If you set up camp on their private property though and refuse to leave you can be cited for trespassing.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

A lot of that area is business parks (the baylands are basically fill over garbage dumps and other crap people didn't want, though they are rebuilding some of the estuary.) I'm not sure if those roads are really "PUBLIC" or part of the business parks.
Plus in silly valley when one of the tech giants wants something it gets done, one way or the other.

QBertBart
@108.219.224.x

QBertBart to KrK

Anon

to KrK
The supreme court has ruled several times that people can exercise their first amendment right on private property that has common areas (at least in California), which is why stores can't kick solicitors off store fronts.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pr ··· ._Robins

Of course I have no idea how the Google Campus is configured but if the protesters were in a common area they could sue the local police department for violating their rights.
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh

I highly doubt that would be the case for Google, as they own entire campuses.

Though to be honest I think they are probably justified here, especially if this is in the SF area. For whatever reason, a lot of people there have been physically hostile to Google employees (they blame rising real estate costs squarely on Google, even though Google employees make up a very tiny slice of the local population, in addition to some of them protesting the idea of self-driving cars and stalking Google employees at their homes over that particular issue) so that is a legitimate safety concern, and damn right they should be arrested.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to QBertBart

to QBertBart
A store front that has the entire purpose of serving the public to aide them in entering the store to purchase goods is completely different then a corporate campus that the general public is not allowed on and is there to serve the corporate employees only.