Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to norwegian

MVM

to norwegian

Re: Ideal set up - 3 screens/game mode computer

Since you're in Australia can you provide places you will be shopping on line so we can give you a better idea. I know those of you down under get raked over the coals for software.

BlitzenZeus See Profile is correct that an i5 will be fine for gaming. I went with the i7 for more cores for video and audio encoding. I rip all of my CDs, DVDs and Blurays and frequently convert from DVD to MP4 for mobile devices. Nothing like seeing Handbrake max out 12 CPUs.

I've been using a SSD for about two years now and am on my third due to size issues. I do not recommend anything smaller than 120GB for a SSD. If you store all of your data on the SSD you may need to go larger. If the cost of the SSD will put you over budget, go ahead with a mechanical drive or a hybrid. Otherwise, you will notice a difference in the SSD with boot times and load times.

I don't think you'll have any issues running three monitors with decent frame rates off a card that costs around $300 US. Of course the more you can spend on your video card the better.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

said by Kilroy:

Since you're in Australia can you provide places you will be shopping on line so we can give you a better idea. I know those of you down under get raked over the coals for software.

The sites listed in Krisnatharok's list shows most of the main stores.
PLE being the best starting point for local/warranty, but any of those sites is okay.

PCCaseGear, PLE are the two I frequent
norwegian

norwegian to Kilroy

Premium Member

to Kilroy

On a side note, I've only just learnt of Handbrake and still have not tested it, I wasn't aware it worked that well with cpu hardware/firmware.