Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

[General] Number in a different area

I decided to get a number in Cedar Rapids IA for my home broadband voice router (pictured below) so some of my contacts in my hometown that don't have long distance can call me instead of me calling them.

I'm wondering if this is ok.
--
Stop the Comcast-Time Warner merger, I'd rather Time Warner buy out Comcast.

jp16

join:2010-05-04
united state

No problem... I have a Florida # for my Magic Jack and it is in Mass...

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
reply to IowaCowboy

My numbers rarely match where the phone/device actually is.
--
Are YOU just a turkey voting for xmas?

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by beck:

My numbers rarely match where the phone/device actually is.

As a courtesy these days I ALWAYS give the area code when I leave my number for someone to call me back (such as on a voicemail, e-mail, etc) even if the person is local. I also include the area code when I fill out forms that require the phone number such as job applications or patient registration forms at doctor's offices.

If I move to Maine (which may or may not happen) I'm keeping my same cell phone number I have now (413 area code).
--
Stop the Comcast-Time Warner merger, I'd rather Time Warner buy out Comcast.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

said by IowaCowboy:

As a courtesy these days I ALWAYS give the area code when I leave my number...

I'd think this was almost mandatory nowadays. In the city I grew up in, there are (2) area codes. I don't know what happens if you just dial a 7-digit number. Does it default to the old, long-time area code ? I doubt it.... Where I live now, we're minutes/miles from the "Cincinnati" area code (513) and plenty of people live in one area code, work in the other, do business in both, etc, etc.

Also, with the prevalence of mobile phones and nationwide calling, most people I know who move don't get a new, "local" number. That did bite us one time though ! Our daughter's best friend's mom had a Nashville mobile number and our daughter called her from our home phone. Since we had mobile phones as well, we had no need for a long-distance carrier, so the local phone company handled it. Problem is, they don't offer $0.10/minute or $0.05/minute for long-distance. More like $0.75-$1.00/minute and needless to say, it was an expensive call !