spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Bixkat
@75.110.161.x

Bixkat

Anon

[Speed] Not getting what was paid for

I have just moved from Rhode Island to Williamston in North Carolina for college, and n the short time that I have been here, I have set up service with suddenlink as it was getting far better reviews than that of centurylink in terms of customer service and likability. Internet speeds seemed to be the same, as far as the reviews go. Anyway, being an avid gamer, and living with my mother- for the free rent- we agreed on a service of 30 mbps so she could stream videos and I could play games, job hunt, etc. However, The ability for me to even open my email seems to be a tedious task for the connection, most of the time crashing whatever page I'm on at that moment and automatically restarting the router. I know for a fact that 30 mbps is better than this, it's the same speed that I had in RI, but a ping of ~18000 in game is just unsat.

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC

Chubbzie

Have you tried troubleshooting your equipment first to rule out any possibilities of it being on your side?

Bixkat
@75.110.161.x

Bixkat

Anon

I have done the basic restarting of the modem and computer and the windows troubleshooting processes, but it's always the same "nothing is wrong with your connection", do you recommend any other programs or techniques that I should do?

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC
Hitron CDA3
(Software) OpenBSD + pf

Chubbzie

If you haven't already you might want to connect directly to the modem with an ethernet cable with a laptop/desktop for testing.

Also, you should be able to access your modem's stats and information page(s) by going to »192.168.100.1. Sometimes looking through the modem's config can give you insight into possible issues...

Have you performed any speed tests to see what kind of results you are getting? »speedtest.suddenlink.net/
Moostang
join:2009-03-24
Tyler, TX

Moostang to Bixkat

to Bixkat
said by Bixkat :

but a ping of ~18000 in game is just unsat.

A ping that high is usually going to be an upload/upstream problem. Connect directly to the modem and watch your pings. Be sure you're not running anything else. Don't run torrents, World of Warcraft, or your favorite fetish website. Do this with TWO different computers if possible to eliminate the possibility that one of them is infected with something. If your latency is normal then something on your network is likely using up all of your upload bandwidth.

If your latency continues to be extremely high and you're SURE that nothing was running on your PC's during the direct connect test, then send sdl_l3tech a message on these forums to look further into the problem.

Bixkat
@75.110.161.x

Bixkat to Chubbzie

Anon

to Chubbzie
Thanks for the input, after troubleshooting I seem to be getting the right amount of speed in game, ill post back if anymore issues appear