uniqs
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty

Premium Member

Touch ID

Am I the only blue collar guy who has not been able to get touch id to work reliably?

My hands are kinda rough, especially my fingers.
If my fingers are not real clean or have rough places from my work, touch id doesn't work.

I have redone my thumbs repeatedly over time and only works for a short while.

I have given up on touch id and don't see it being deployed for other uses like for credit cards.
Only seems to be reliable for white collar people, retired & students.

Or am I 'holding it wrong'.....

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

Works for me >95% of the time if my fingers are dry. If they're wet, no matter how often I try to wipe them, it usually fails.
I set up the same thumb three times, to increase the odds that it will work.
I also noticed that there are times when it doesn't work well, so I reboot and it works better. (not sure if that does anything, or not, but, why not try?)

tephie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Victorville, CA

tephie to Liberty

Premium Member

to Liberty
It doesn't seem to work well for me either. Of course it's working right now, because I'm talking about it. I usually just go straight to typing my passcode because it's quicker than trying to get it to work.
Curiosity
join:2001-10-01
Dawson Creek, BC

Curiosity to Liberty

to Liberty
I found that licking a finger before touching a touch screen (iPod) seems to help. Sometimes my finger is really dry and the touch screen does not work until I do that.

maximus_808
Proud Veteran
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Rainier, WA

maximus_808 to Liberty

Premium Member

to Liberty
I haven't had any trouble with mine although I'm pretty anal about keeping my phone clean.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

said by maximus_808:

... I'm pretty anal about keeping my phone clean.

Off topic, ...is it me, or is there something odd about using the word anal to describe extreme cleanliness? They really need to come up with a better phrase, no?

KevNYC
Premium Member
join:2002-03-31
Seattle, WA

KevNYC to Liberty

Premium Member

to Liberty
I used to have that issue with I originally bought my 5S, but since the last major update it's worked 99% of the time.