All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
valgaav
join:2011-06-07

1 edit

valgaav

Huge price drops on internet plans (Tricom, Dominican Republic)

First a little background: A few months ago both Tricom and Orange Dominicana were bought by Altice, they started to merge both companies and the name Orange Dominicana will remain.

The interesting part is what they did a week ago (around June 20th), the price on their fastest internet plan 100mbit down 5mbit up, dropped from USD$850 to $320 a month (prices always including a 30% tax), I know that is still A LOT of money for just 100/5 but I still think it is a first step on the right direction.

The price on the 50, 30, 20, 10 and 5mbit plans also dropped, not as much as the 100/5 which was extremely overpriced, the first 3 plans 1, 2 and 3mbit didnt change at all, since a LOT of their customers are still stuck on ADSL and can barely get 1mbit, also they dont have adsl and cable modem speed/prices separated like many US companies do, so they cant or dont want to start offering a $20 10mbit plan on cable but for the same $20 only 1mbit on adsl. These are the new prices in USD, all including the 30% tax, anything above 5mbit is cable modem only:

100/5 $320
50/5 $242
30/2 $165
20/2 $127
10/2 $88
5/1 $59
These last 3 havent changed for the past 2-3 years
3/768kbps $40
2/768kbps $30
1/256kbps $20

Another interesting offer is for those with triple play (tv, phone and internet) on the 2, 3, 5 or 10mbit plan, they get the speed doubled to 4, 6, 10 and 20mbit respectively(the 20, 30, 50 and 100 plans arent included in this double speed offer), also those with triple play get a 20% discount.

Claro (the biggest ISP in DR) might come with some price reductions too, right now those paying for 8mbit on Claro can get 20mbit on Tricom and still save $5 a month.

I've been waiting for Tricom to install fiber lines (for cable modem and tv) where I live since 2006 when I cancelled my services with Claro, due to line noise that couldn't be fixed after 4 months of constant tech visits... 2 years ago Claro finished installing FTTC, replaced the small 20+ years old cabinets with big and shinny ones, now they offer someting similar to U-Verse with speeds up to 50mbit (depending on how many tv boxes you order), I really like Tricom, they're always the first on offering decent stuff but sadly I've been stuck with their ADSL for 8 years, if Claro comes with nice price drops it might be the time to drop Tricom and go back to them, only time will tell.