Search similar:

uniqs

HFB1217
The Wizard Premium ExMod 2000-01

join:2000-06-26
Camelot SwFL

HFB1217

[Equip] Technicolor tc8305c Wi/Fi ??

New modem setup is the WIFI active on the modem and if so can it be made inactive.

I do not want to use WIFI and do not want it to be activate so is this an option I have to select or activate or is it defaulted to inactive??

mike34
Premium Member
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA

mike34

Premium Member

I have one for voice service only. WiFi is active. 4th LED down on the front is lit. SSID is HOME-931E

Log on to 10.0.0.1 with a wired connection

admin
password (that's right)

Disable WiFi in the Administration section.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to HFB1217

MVM

to HFB1217
said by mike34:

Log on to 10.0.0.1 with a wired connection

admin
password (that's right)

Disable WiFi in the Administration section.

See Sections 3 ("Admin Tool") and 7.1 ("Wireless connection troubleshooting") in the Setup and User Guide: »docs.technicolor.com/dat ··· 0000.pdf

Also on the Comcast Support forum:

I want my Technicolor TC8305C Gateway Bridged and wireless turned off......
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Ho ··· /1707801

mike34
Premium Member
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA

mike34

Premium Member

Does all that mean it can't be done?

I was using the User Manual as a source. I've never bothered to do it, mine isn't even provisioned for Internet use. Voice only.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by mike34:

Does all that mean it can't be done?

IDK, I don't use a TC8305C, I just wanted to provide the OP with the sections in the manual that dealt with Administration and Wi-Fi. I'm not even sure if it can be done by a Comcast subscriber.

In that Comcast Support forum thread, there is this post that provides info on calling Comcast for help on this:
quote:
You are going to need to contact Comcast [1-800-COMCAST] and ask to speak VERY SPECIFICALLY to:

Home Networking Support
Wireless Gateway Support

Or here's a Telephone for you to dial directly: 855-308-9452 (toll free)
I don't know if there's any charge or not for that assistance, though.

HFB1217

Camelot SwFL

HFB1217

Maybe I am dense but I for the life of me can not find any mention of how to turn off the WIFI.

I do not want it at all but it seems that you are forced to have it active. DUMB but that's COMCAST policy.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Click for full size
WiFi Network Configuration Page
said by HFB1217:

Maybe I am dense but I for the life of me can not find any mention of how to turn off the WIFI.

The screenshot that's provided in Section 7.1 appears to show a "Wireless Network: Enable/Disable" toggle, unless it is hidden from you for some reason.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

said by HFB1217:

The screenshot that's provided in Section 7.1 appears to show a "Wireless Network: Enable/Disable" toggle, unless it is hidden from you for some reason.

There's another picture in another section of that not showing the Enable/Disable button. I helped a few people with their TC8305Cs and I don't remember seeing that button. It's probably one of those features they keep off the gateway UI. It's been shown on a few different models, but I don't commonly see it once it's in consumer's hands.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Darknessfall:

said by telcodad:

There's another picture in another section of that not showing the Enable/Disable button. I helped a few people with their TC8305Cs and I don't remember seeing that button. It's probably one of those features they keep off the gateway UI. It's been shown on a few different models, but I don't commonly see it once it's in consumer's hands.

Then maybe that toggle is hidden/removed by the particular firmware version that Comcast downloads to it?

HFB1217

Camelot SwFL

HFB1217 to telcodad

to telcodad
Click for full size
This is my page and it does not have the option to select enable/disable

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

said by HFB1217:

This is my page and it does not have the option to select enable/disable

Then it looks like you are left with calling the Comcast Wireless Gateway Support people at 855-308-9452 to see if they can help you disable it.

EDIT: Found this recent thread on the Comcast Support forum and it does look like you'll have to call Comcast to disable the WiFi:

Disable WiFi on tc8305c
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Ho ··· /2177572

Right now, it looks like only the ARRIS TG852G and TG862G gateways (and maybe the SMC also) are capable of providing the "xfinitywifi" home hotspot (»Re: [Price] Re: A little OUTRAGED ! Extreme 105 NOW Requires Rented Modem ), but maybe Comcast is planning on adding it to the TC8305C soon and doesn't want users disabling the WiFi easily that way. See: »[WiFi] xfinitywifi channel

HFB1217

Camelot SwFL

HFB1217

They have removed all the options to disable WIFI and the HOTSPOT!!

Even if you or they disable the WIFI function of your router the HOTSPOT remains active.

It is a separate SENIOR MANAGER LEVEL function to disable the HOTSPOT.

The regular agent needs this permission under pain of termination of employment and must refer you to a Manager to terminate the HOTSPOT.

WARNING just shutting off the WIFI on your router does not disable the HOTSPOT according to the TECH. A Manager must disable the HOTSPOT for you.

COMCAST has a BIG set of BRASS BA!!S to even require you to be there proxy for other customers.

Then they want you to spend 40 dollars for a BACKUP battery as well.

THE BS never ends!!!

CONTACT NUMBER 855-308-9452 is what you have to call for help with WIFI.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by HFB1217:

They have removed all the options to disable WIFI and the HOTSPOT!!

Even if you or they disable the WIFI function of your router the HOTSPOT remains active.

It is a separate SENIOR MANAGER LEVEL function to disable the HOTSPOT.

The regular agent needs this permission under pain of termination of employment and must refer you to a Manager to terminate the HOTSPOT.

WARNING just shutting off the WIFI on your router does not disable the HOTSPOT according to the TECH. A Manager must disable the HOTSPOT for you.

COMCAST has a BIG set of BRASS BA!!S to even require you to be there proxy for other customers.

Then they want you to spend 40 dollars for a BACKUP battery as well.

THE BS never ends!!!

The hotspot can't be on if the wireless is turned off. It's not possible. The xfinitywifi network is just a virtual network extended off the main wireless. Also, xfinitywifi isn't active on the TC8305C.

HFB1217

Camelot SwFL

2 edits

HFB1217

According to the Tech there are two stages to the WIFI a private one and a public one they can shut off your private WIFI and leave the public WIFI channel active. The indicator light only tells you that your end of the WIFI is disabled.

They want the HOTSPOT active even if you do not want WIFI for your own use.
The Tech with permission can shut off your private WIFI but not the HOTSPOT a Manager must disable the HOTSPOT.

The Tech can be fired for trying to disable the HOTSPOT.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by HFB1217:

According to the Tech there are two stages to the WIFI a private one and a public one they can shut off your private WIFI and leave the public WIFI channel active. The indicator light only tells you that your end of the WIFI is disabled.

They want the HOTSPOT active even if you do not want WIFI for your own use.
The Tech with permission can shut off your private WIFI but not the HOTSPOT a Manager must disable the HOTSPOT.

The Tech can be fired for trying to disable the HOTSPOT.

That sounds like the most ridiculous thing ever. Don't ever listen to people like that.

If your gateway's private wireless is off, the public wifi cannot be on. Say that the private wireless is a extension cord and the public wireless is a device connected to that extension cord. If you unplug the extension cord, the other device won't power on. The hotspot can be disabled by users by going to their "Manage Xfinitywifi" when using a compatible gateway(Arris TG862G/TG852G) to turn it off. As said by Telcodad in the other thread, if you don't have that gateway or you do and it's not active in your area yet, you'll get the xfinitywifi advertisement.

HFB1217

Camelot SwFL

HFB1217

Not to be argumentative but there are two distinct Channels to the WIFI and Comcast is doing everything to obscure and prevent you from disabling the HOTSPOT.

Even to the extent as hiding the active HOTSPOT from you.

They disable your channel but not the WIFI function The indicator light is for your channel only not the actual WIFI itself.

Why do you think Comcast has made it so hard for you to shut it down by eliminating all the options to do so.

Sorry to disagree with you I believe one thing and you another.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by HFB1217:

Not to be argumentative but there are two distinct Channels to the WIFI and Comcast is doing everything to obscure and prevent you from disabling the HOTSPOT.

Even to the extent as hiding the active HOTSPOT from you.

They disable your channel but not the WIFI function The indicator light is for your channel only not the actual WIFI itself.

Why do you think Comcast has made it so hard for you to shut it down by eliminating all the options to do so.

Sorry to disagree with you I believe one thing and you another.

It's just not possible. You shouldn't listen to techs like those. The "WiFi" indicator light works with both the private and xfinitywifi. If you connect to xfinitywifi, the indicator light will begin to blink indicating wireless traffic.
System

to HFB1217

Anon

to HFB1217
This topic has been closed. Reason: run its course