linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

New phishing spam delivers a payload

I just spent some time going thru whois records to find this jerk is registered to and parked at GoDaddy.com. It is not a website. It is being used to phish.

To: ______@hotmail.com
Attachments:1 attachment | Download all as zip (79.9 KB) opy_of_Document_ID1976.zip (79.9 KB)

Date 6/26/14 3:53PM

Notice to Appear,

The copy of the court notice is attached to this letter.
Please, read it thoroughly.

Truly yours,
Clerk to the Court,
Elizabeth Mason

Aside: All Summons in Illinois are delivered by Sheriff or United States Marshall.

It is spam. DO NOT OPEN.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

Got a couple of those in Yahoo mail. I just deleted them. Even Yahoo had them in the spam account. Only see them in Yahoo mail, not in the other 2 mail services I use.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
United State

linicx

Premium Member

I personally think the top level registrars ought to be held accountable when management knows they host bad actors and do nothing. GoDaddy has denied culpability and has done nothing for many years. LinkedIn is another bottom feeder that spins tales, and phishes faster than a Las Vegas slot payout.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb to linicx

Premium Member

to linicx
This is a known scam that's been around. The registrar can do nothing if they don't know anything, and once reported, i'm sure there are guidelines they must follow. They just can't pull the plug as soon as they get a report. If the attachment isnt attached or hosted on their servers, i dont see how they are to blame IMO.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
United State

linicx

Premium Member

If it is a widely known scam, and if the registrar that hosts it is aware of it... then what do you say Go Daddy Go?

What I think is if the folks on these forums are C L customers they should at the least be aware of it.

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four to linicx

Premium Member

to linicx
I've seen quite a few of these in my Yahoo spam folder as well. The payload in this spam is malware which is similar to the funeral home spam and the fake traffic ticket spam that has been going around lately.

CCat
We're all quite mad here
MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland

CCat to linicx

MVM

to linicx
I get those in my Gmail spam folder. Along with the failure to pay my turnpike EZ pass.