Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to jaberi

MVM

to jaberi

Re: World Cup Brazil

After watching the last half of that game do I ever miss hockey, what a snooze fest.

Blake

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to jaberi

to jaberi
The way Messi was holding that Footballer of the Tourney trophy it looked like it was
make of boiling hot shit.

FaxCap

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

1 edit

capdjq to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
Messi, IMO, was not deserving of the Footballer of the Tourney trophy. He is a great player and had a gr8 1st half of the Cup. In the knockout part he never had a goal. In fact there was no single player, IMO, that really stood out like Maradonna, Pele in their Cup years. Germany's win is a tribute to their depth and team efficiency. The Argentinians had the good luck to have a relatively easy route to the Finals. The 1st team of note was the Germans.

In Messi's defense he was probably tired after Club games, Champions League etc. Pele and Maradonna never played in those.

For those who complain about boring soccer all I have to say is, if you don't watch it regularly you will never like it. You have to appreciate the play build up, the set play and the skill involved. Its not a game of brute force but skill. That's why the World calls it "the beautiful game". That's why the Chancellor of West Germany travels 6,000 miles to attend, and over a billion people watch. The NFL, NHL, Baseball and Baketball cannot clim those attendances combined.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I pretty much only watch the World Cup and Euro Cup. I don't have the time and patience to follow euro league soccer from here, and the north american MLS is a joke of a league.

Game of skill? yes. But also riddled with fakers and actors. That's what bothers me most of all. Why don't they put another ref in there? Another set of eyes on the fakers would clean more of that up.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

Game of skill? yes. But also riddled with fakers and actors. That's what bothers me most of all.

that's my problem with it...and i played soccer when i was a kid (soccer is dirt cheap to play).
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Why don't they put another ref in there? Another set of eyes on the fakers would clean more of that up.

I saw a yellow card given to a Brazilian player during Saturday's game for taking a dive.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Yes, they should have done that in the first round to send a message. Concur, the crap ruined several games. Doing it on the consolation game was a complete waste of time. THere were some hard hits that deserved the faces of pain, but most of the time it (agonizing screams) as though ones life was ending, was beyond comical it was an insult to anyone that plays the game. I had to rate Robbens dive as #1 for audacity. How a step on a foot is translated into a forward upward launching swan dive with arms outstretched became a miracle. It allowed Netherlands through.
Mont
join:2006-05-02
Saint-Leonard, QC

Mont

Each country have their style of play so it's not surprising to see different way of play when it comes to the referees. A foul can be viewed by southern american as nothing and the same exact one be a yellow or a red by an asian or european referee.

Looking at the weekend games in the various leagues we can see the difference.

The Fifa should have all referees follow the same ethics.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to capdjq

to capdjq
said by capdjq:

Messi, IMO, was not deserving of the Footballer of the Tourney trophy. He is a great player and had a gr8 1st half of the Cup. In the knockout part he never had a goal.

Plus when you are in the knockout round the quality of the defenders is usually much
better. When you watch more football you start to appreciate the passing leading to
goals. The crosses that made Beckham multi-millions of dollars....the through ball
threaded passed 4 or 5 defenders that springs a player in on goal. Beautiful to watch!
said by capdjq:

For those who complain about boring soccer all I have to say is, if you don't watch it regularly you will never like it. You have to appreciate the play build up, the set play and the skill involved. Its not a game of brute force but skill. That's why the World calls it "the beautiful game". That's why the Chancellor of West Germany travels 6,000 miles to attend, and over a billion people watch. The NFL, NHL, Baseball and Baketball cannot clim those attendances combined.

Couldn't agree more!

FaxCap