spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Jsiegel
@70.192.130.x

Jsiegel

Anon

[Modem/Router] Actiontec/Verizon Modem Resetting

I was unable to reply to this post but I experienced the exact same problem except quicker resets. Of course Verizon said it was not them and everything tested fine and that it was anything from the power outlet I plugged it into to the Ethernet cables I used to a virus on one of my computers but what I finally noticed was that if I turn wireless security off it all goes away. Turn it back to WPA/WPA2, it starts resetting every hour again. Of course the only thing that Verizon was able to tell me is "the security should be on"!? I am not sure why it does this but I probably will bridge it and set up a router behind it with security that can be enabled.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

What model gateway do you have?

Jsiegel
@70.192.130.x

Jsiegel

Anon

Actiontec GT784WNV

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Okay. One thing I would pay attention to with the ActionTec is the memory usage. If you go to the Modem's Status pages and look at the Gateway Status section, you should see a memory utilization counter. Do you see this slowly increasing over time until the modem reaches 100%, and then reboots shortly after?

Jsiegel
@70.192.135.x

Jsiegel

Anon

Yes that is exactly happens the "Gateway Utilization" goes to 97% within an hour and then the modem shuts off and restarts. A couple minutes later it comes back and starts at 46% and goes up again from there. Only if "Security" is turned on. If security is on it starts going up again. That is why I was thinking of bridging it and getting a wireless router and using it for security. Any suggestions on a wireless router? Looking at Cisco and maybe even a DLink but found a decent Cisco for around $130. I have a 16 port Cisco switch that I put behind the router so ports aren't important. Also I have a few Apple items, MacBook, Ipad, etc.. How are the Apple wireless base stations.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

You're having a memory leak issue. If you're willing to poke around in Telnet, you can find out what is causing the problem. I have a GT784WNV with the same problem and I have a suspicion it is both the DHCP Daemon and the WLAN daemon causing problems.

To check the memory usage:

Download PuTTY: »www.chiark.greenend.org. ··· oad.html
In PuTTY, set the connection type to "Telnet" and punch in your modem's IP address.
Hit "Open"
A login prompt should appear. Enter in the username of admin and the password of admin. If that doesn't work, try the same username and password combination used for the web interface.
At the command line, type in the command: free -m (or just free)

The Gateway should then spit out a bunch of information concerning memory usage. To copy/paste that info to a post, highlight the text you want, and PuTTY will automatically copy the text to your clipboard.

Jsiegel
@70.192.140.x

Jsiegel

Anon

Thanks, I have run reports on the memory and traffic. I have moved on from the why and am looking to work around Verizon's inability to do anything and sub-standard devices.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

If ActionTec/Verizon would fix the memory leaking issue on the GT784WNV with the two processes I've mentioned (At least based upon my gateway's behavior) the ActionTec would be a decent little piece of hardware. It's always buggy software that seems to make those gateways awful. A bit of QA can go a long way for these Gateways, for both the ISP and the OEM.