All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

[Homephone] Bell: Buddy Can You Spare Some Change?

Wow, we see Ma Bell must be in some pretty dire straits these days. Bell Media Job Cuts To Put 120 Out Of Work In Toronto »www.huffingtonpost.ca/20 ··· 445.html. Probably due to Corporate greed and financial mismanagement because Lord knows they charge an arm and a leg for everything else.

Gotta wonder how bad things really are though. Is Bell hitting ROCK BOTTOM? Have they fallen and they can't get up?

Got my Bell bill today. They hiked my POTS line by 37 CENTS. Yup 37 CENTS. Bell has actually been reduced to the status of telecom PANHANDLER. Can you imagine a business so DESPERATE for cash they actually have to hike rates by 37 CENTS?? BELL, begging the customer for cash 37 CENTS at a time.

Hey Buddy, Can you spare some change? .........
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

Bell Media is not bell home phone. BCE inc. Has their hands in everything and each individual arm is operated independently and BCE will not pull funds from one profitable arm and put it elsewhere. Bell Media however did generate millions in profit last year so I do not see the need for these layoffs.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to elitefx

to elitefx
Bell has a responsibility to its shareholders to maximize profit. Executive and management are incented by certain performance metrics. These are the guiding principles of how publicly traded entities are managed. This is the result. Nothing really new.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

said by HeadSpinning:

Bell has a responsibility to its shareholders to maximize profit.....

Nah. It's just old fashioned nickel and diming the customer. People have to quit making excuses for these clowns. Like they can't live without the 37 cents.

POTS has been around for 100 years. The price should have dropped DOWN to $5 a month by now. Very basic tech to anyone but the idiots at Bell.

Nothing but a bunch of thieves just like Rogers.
btech805
Canada

btech805

Once again...I don't think you understand that BELL MEDIA and Bell Canada are two separate companies and the layoffs have nothing to do with the cost of your home phone.

Also as exactly you said the copper plant has been around for a 100 years in some cases, copper degrades when exposed to weather, meaning our maintenance costs are going up, not down. And that is partly the reasoning behind the Fibe push.
ainyul
join:2009-10-19
Mont-Royal, QC

ainyul

thks for the info, always interesting to learn more and get a bigger picture so to speak;

out of curiosity whats the shelf life of fiber in comparison to copper?
btech805
Canada

btech805

I have no clue to be honest. Not many cities have been fibre wired for that long. If you look at a city like Plattsburgh, NY was wired ftth back in the 80s or 70s thanks to the air force and that network is still working flawlessly with little maintenance (albeit with not the same speeds as current ftth due to changes in technology over the years). The only problem I've seen is manufacturer defaults on cables and squirrels of course!
ainyul
join:2009-10-19
Mont-Royal, QC

ainyul

amazing!

...as an aside i heard they also have access to 1Gig internet access in plattsburgh...

bastardamber
@174.94.65.x

bastardamber to btech805

Anon

to btech805
said by btech805:

Bell Media is not bell home phone. BCE inc. Has their hands in everything and each individual arm is operated independently and BCE will not pull funds from one profitable arm and put it elsewhere. Bell Media however did generate millions in profit last year so I do not see the need for these layoffs.

I'm not sure I agree. Unless Bell Canada is now in the business of leasing parts of its real estate at fair market value, this is a clear example of how Bell Media is not treated as a 100% separate entity from other BCE businesses:
»windsor.ctvnews.ca/ctv-w ··· .1232030
I'm also know for a fact that ever since BCE bought CTV, the CTV vehicle fleet is maintained, at least in Kitchener, by the Bell Canada yard at 998 Wilson Avenue -- again, a change made to save money, and I highly doubt Bell Canada sends invoices to Bell Media for vehicle maintenance.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to ainyul

Premium Member

to ainyul
Sprint still has a lot of there original fiber working in there Fiber network.
btech805
Canada

btech805 to bastardamber

to bastardamber
Bell most certainly is in the real estate leasing business to themselves, BCE is also in the vehicle leasing business to themselves as well. If you looked up Bell Media's vehicles I can nearly guarantee thise vehicles are owned by a company called "Trans Service Leasing" which is BCE owned. They also lease the vehicles to us in field services.

It's a double right-off for BCE and it would not surprise me one bit if they did the same in real estate. I know that they now lease out a significant portion of their building at 180 Elgin st to outside interests and they do have a real estate portfolio management company so if they leased space to Bell Media it wouldn't surprise me.
droidman4
join:2005-12-12
Ottawa, ON

droidman4

said by btech805:

160 Elgin

fixed
ings
Premium Member
join:2004-12-22
Toronto, ON

ings to btech805

Premium Member

to btech805
said by btech805:

the copper plant has been around for a 100 years in some cases, copper degrades when exposed to weather, meaning our maintenance costs are going up, not down.

And as more people abandon their land lines, the maintenance cost per user goes up, which in turn will accelerate the abandonment of land lines - a classic death spiral.

Dave Ings
btech805
Canada

btech805 to droidman4

to droidman4
You are correct, my apologies
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to ings

to ings
said by ings:

And as more people abandon their land lines, the maintenance cost per user goes up, which in turn will accelerate the abandonment of land lines - a classic death spiral.

The profitability of landlines is likely lower than ever, yet regulatory issues and some demand prevent their demise completely. Long distance costs are lower than ever, and keep on dropping...

I can't stand it when Bell tells me to hang up after dialing 1 on a landline for a local number... I just don't care if it is long distance in North America or not as it doesn't cost much.

But companies are attempting to find uses for their wired infrastructure...... Internet and TV are/will be the new cash cows for both the cable and telephone companies. Unfortunately the companies have and will attempt to meter broadband wherever they can to their advantage.

Bandwidth on cellular costs a fortune, and companies will exploit that for as long as possible as well.

I don't buy alot of their excuses about network congestion and the like... if a network is congested, it means they aren't providing me the service I am paying for... but that is likely a topic for another thread!

R

transwans
@173.243.42.x

transwans

Anon

Trans services is not owned by bell, not even 1% of that company is owned by bell.
btech805
Canada

btech805

Why do the fall under the same union local as us then?