Search similar:

uniqs
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks to alchav

to alchav

Re: Market Choices?

And who is going to deliver that fiber? Google when they still haven't gotten to Austin TX yet?
ITGeeks

ITGeeks to alchav

to alchav
T is still doing VDSL just fine. And so are plenty of others. And coax keeps expanding and expanding. coax is also the only network between the two that has fiber closest to the home and is the fastest and the most upgradable in terms of money.
ITGeeks

ITGeeks to biochemistry

to biochemistry
and if we had Ma Bell still we'd have much more than we have now. Ma Bell is the one who brought you Cingular and Verizon Wireless.

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to ITGeeks

to ITGeeks
said by ITGeeks:

And who is going to deliver that fiber? Google when they still haven't gotten to Austin TX yet?

Here again, Fiber is not like Air and Space, unless you get lucky and Google might come knocking on your door but don't count on it. You have to be pro-active, unite your Community or City and find a Fiber Provider. You can also do like I did, move to a Community that has Fiber.
Coolbrz
join:2002-12-16
Kane, PA

Coolbrz to ITGeeks

to ITGeeks
You gotta be kidding me, I never singled out Cogent. Seems mighty fishy that comcast has problems with Cogent, Level 3, and Tata when it comes to peer congestions lately.

I hope that is sarcasm that cogent would clearly be in the wrong if it was a cogent/comcast arguement, friggin hilarious you people are.

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to ITGeeks

to ITGeeks
said by ITGeeks:

T is still doing VDSL just fine. And so are plenty of others. And coax keeps expanding and expanding. coax is also the only network between the two that has fiber closest to the home and is the fastest and the most upgradable in terms of money.

You're correct, for today and maybe tomorrow, but how about in a few days after that when you want to Stream 8K.....I don't think it will be sufficient then. I worked for AT&T or PacBell now under them. So I feel their pain, but I said it many, many years ago they made a mistake going with Copper in that Last Mile. Buying DirecTV might help them out now, but IPTV is here and that Fiber will be needed.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9
said by openbox9:

Is it really that difficult to understand that people have different opinions and views?

Around here, that's not only difficult, but virtually impossible!

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to alchav

Premium Member

to alchav
said by alchav:

No smoke and mirrors and toll gates to let this traffic through, just need more capacity in these areas. The question is who pays for this.

The problem is that in areas around the globe that have competition between ISPs, the capacity issues are addressed by the ISP using money collected from their paying customers that are requesting this data.

There are a few major ISPs, mostly in the US, that enjoy market dominance in the territories they operate in. They have a captive customer base, and they are using this to force Netflix to pay them to reach their customers. In the UK, as an example, if an ISP tried this tactic, customers would have the option of leaving them to sign up with internet service with a competitor. Comcast doesn't need to concern itself with this problem, as their customers don't really have any other options available. So Comcast can demand payment from Netflix to get past their toll gate.