spc
uniqs
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to en103

Premium Member

to en103

Re: Now you're paying for higher tier for cap... not bandwidht.

said by en103:

It means that you can get to an overage charge quicker

Or, customers can simply accomplish what they're trying to do, quicker.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103

Very little time is saved moving from say... 18Mbps to 22Mbps.
Percentage wise, its ~25% increase. Not bad.
Will pages load any quicker ? Probably not really noticeable.
Downloading - unless you're obtaining something of significant size, it won't really be noticed. Eg. A 5MB file won't be significantly different
A 500MB file on the otherhand will be ~30 seconds faster.
The biggest difference 'may' come for those that have multiple streams (Netflix/YouTube/etc.) running. If they're running in HD, its possible that there will be less buffering. That being said, you'll probably hit your cap/overage ... quicker, and potentially easier/more often.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

said by en103:

Very little time is saved moving from say...

Six months ago I shifted from ~7mbps/400kbps (12/.896 Mbps advertised) DSL to ~330mbps (1 Gbps advertised) FTTH. Very noticeable change in latency and throughput. My usage pattern didn't really change. Is everyone the same? No. Can people do things they want to do quicker with more bandwidth? Yes. Does everyone automatically go over their caps or change their usage just because they have more bandwidth? No. More bandwidth doesn't automatically equal more usage.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103

7Mbps to 330Mbps is a factor of more than 40x, and I'd expect latency to be much lower as a result - specifically of the return path. With 100Mbps work lines, my external hops to 'speed test' is sometimes as low as 3ms, while typically around 12ms on 22Mbps connection.

I will agree that 'in general' more bandwidth doesn't directly equal more usage. It just allows for it - especially when you're maxing out your lines ability during times of usage.

I had 3Mbps/512kbps (2.5Mbps/450kbps throughput) on DSL many years ago, and I'm now on 22Mbps/2Mbps. Has my usage changed... slightly. Do I do the same things as before. Yes. More streaming content now (and HD). Video conferences actually work now (not enough upload to support it and 'much else before it'. Do I 'Google' any faster - not really. Does Facebook, DSLRreports or many other pages work much faster - slightly - specifically where there's more 'media'.

I've used DS3 before, and 100Mbps symmetrical (work), and the bottleneck really becomes my PC's performance for rendering all that data down to the app level.