Columbus, OH

2 edits

arpawocky to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1

Re: [General] Vitelity and Onvoy

said by PX Eliezer1:

said by arpawocky:

Just got an email from Vitelity asking me to accept or reject the resp-org change request.

More evidence that they are watching this thread. (IMHO)

No, I've ported a TF number out of Vitelity in the past.

That was part of the procedure, which I think is a good idea to guard against tofjacking.

Vitelity was professional throughout the process.

Yes, that is part of the procedure pretty much anywhere..

The timing however, is what is key.

The email contained a copy of the actual request from the gaining resporg. The request was dated Sept 02 2014.

Vitelity sent the approve/decline email at 10:56 AM on Sept 15 2014 (today)

ie, a mere 23 minutes after w1ve See Profile posted about porting TFNs away to avoid potential screwups, and 5 minutes after I posted that it might be a good idea - Vitelity finally got around to sending the approve/decline email.

Could just be good timing of course.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

IIRC the number of days elapsed was similar when I ported a TF number away from Vitelity.

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

arpawocky

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer1:

IIRC the number of days elapsed was similar when I ported a TF number away from Vitelity.

In that case, maybe it really just is ironic timing - but not indicative of anything else.
Expand your moderator at work
QuestBlue
Premium Member
join:2014-09-23

QuestBlue to arpawocky

Premium Member

to arpawocky

Re: [General] Vitelity and Onvoy

*** Up Front Notification *** I do work for a SIP Provider

My comments are from a long time of porting and volume experience with many providers.

This is a long and ongoing post that bounces around some so I will try to get to the comments quickly.

A couple of items that have helped me in the past are listed below.

LNP: Making sure the BTN matches with the number you are porting. This will allow any gaining carrier to pull a CSR. If it is Vitelity they will use a underlying carrier to pull the CSR even after the purchase from Onvoy they will still uphold contracts they have with L3, Bandwidth etc.

Once they have the CSR you can ask for verification of the address on file with what you are porting. If you are porting from another carrier and you know it is with L3 provide the LNP team the possible addresses before while you are speaking to them to confirm what the CSR states. It is helpful when everything is submitted with the correct info. VoIP is frustrating enough but with a little creativity porting can be easy.

Toll Free numbers will port easier than local numbers. If you have a invoice matching usage with the number shown you can submit that as proof of ownership. I would not worry about a toll free being hijacked. You will always have control over it.

As far as moving traffic around. If you do not have enough volume to go to L3 direct try working with some other regional setups that are buying direct from these carriers as QuestBlue.com is offering this wholesale without contracts or voip.ms as mentioned above and many others. Do you homework when picking a provider.

Call the companies and speak to people before going forward with contracts. I know there was a mention of a connection with voip.ms and Vitelity but that can be misguided. Many carriers that pull DIDs from L3 will show the same DIDs available until purchased by the consumer. It would then appear that the DIDs are the same in different systems. voip.ms and QuestBlue Systems. You should make sure when you call any contact phone number for a VoIP company you reach a live person. when you ask a question you should get immediate answers. If it is a support question you don't want get "please test and advise"....... answers.

Anyway porting can be cleaned up in the VoIP world for sure. When? no one will every know but until then, information is power. Know your BTNs and addresses and you will not have any problems with LNP.

Thanks for listening
Kevin
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Good points, thanks!

Couple notes:

1) A few folks may not recognize the term BTN as Billing Telephone Number.

2) Regarding Voip.ms and Vitelity, the US number overlap is more (I believe) than merely a common pool at L3. Voip.MS tollfree numbers in the US AFAICT usually had Vitelity as the RespOrg. Also, some Voip.MS numbers had CNAM of "Sixtel"---Sixtel became Vitelity. Just may be of academic interest to some.

Thanks again!

-----

BTW on your QB company website are references to "FreePBX" but no mention of trademark.

Recently the FreePBX owners (Schmooze Com) sent a legal letter to one of the other VoIP/SIP providers, saying that the FreePBX name cannot be on the provider's website unless it is noted as a trademark of Schmooze Com, and also that a link be provided to Schmooze Com.

I know this sounds made up---who would name a company Schmooze Com?---but perhaps you can take steps to avoid a similar issue.

In any use of the Trademark, you should clearly attribute it to Schmooze Com, Inc somewhere on the page or document, as the trademark holder. Acceptable example for this is "FreePBX® is a Registered Trademark of Schmooze Com, Inc." In each use, you must also indicate that the mark is federally registered by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, either by use of the “®” symbol (such as “FreePBX®”), by the phrase “Registered by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office,” or by use of other similar language. Where the mark is used multiple times in a single document, and repeated registration identification would be unduly burdensome or distracting, you may choose to note the registration in the first use of the trademark only. The Trademark should be used as required by any licenses through which you use, modify, and/or distribute the software provided through FreePBX.org. The removal of any trademark notices from the FreePBX code or product is strictly prohibited.

»www.freepbx.org/copyrigh ··· y-policy
QuestBlue
Premium Member
join:2014-09-23

QuestBlue to arpawocky

Premium Member

to arpawocky
Got it, thank for the clarification.
Additionally I have removed the FreePBX mention on our site as many of our customers notify us what they actually want installed anyway so the mention of it was not relevant.

I appreciate the feedback.

If the question is still pending on a porting issue let me know where the hold up is and I will try to provide some insight.

Thanks

Kevin
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by QuestBlue:

Additionally I have removed the FreePBX mention on our site as many of our customers notify us what they actually want installed anyway so the mention of it was not relevant.

That's what the other VoIP/SIP provider ended up doing also.

Makes sense.

Thanks again for all the info. Hope you keep visiting here.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium Member
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
(Software) pfSense
MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-RM

XCOM to arpawocky

Premium Member

to arpawocky
said by arpawocky:

Ok, I got CSR info from Vitelity!! And I sent it to Anveo.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Awesome. I hope all goes well.
Good luck!
djbono
Premium Member
join:2014-05-16
Brossard, QC

djbono to arpawocky

Premium Member

to arpawocky
Well, to answer your original quesiton (if the acquisition is good)
I'd say yes, but only in the (very?) long run. Onvoy runs BroadWorks so definitely a plus ; however since it's probably more costly than running Asterisk, it might take a while until the users are migrated (if they ever are)

arpawocky
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

arpawocky

Premium Member

Update:

Regarding the port-out:

Everything* has been ported out successfully and working just wonderfully on the new provider.

Regarding vMobile and support:

Finally got Vitelity to troubleshoot. Got Chris Brown on the phone, and did a whole bunch of test calls while we were both running packet captures. Found some probable root causes.

Vitelity sent me two additional handsets, one with vmobile firmware and one with stock firmware, for further testing to try to figure out if the problem is caused by the firmware or the network or both.

The device with stock firmware seems to work well with no issues.

They also credited my account for the epic inconvenience.

I am glad Vitelity finally fixed this. I wish they had not taken so damn long.
The credit on my account is nice, but with almost no services remaining with them, i doubt I'll ever use all of it.

Supposedly they are working on fixing the systemic support problems, and I tend to believe them at this point.

* with the exception of a couple numbers left behind for troubleshooting vmobile
w1ve
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Hancock, NH

w1ve

Premium Member

said by arpawocky:

Supposedly they are working on fixing the systemic support problems, and I tend to believe them at this point.

Awesome. I have faith then.,.. My current vmobile problem? It's an extension on my PBX... I call my own DID. Outbound is Voxbeam, DID is voip.ms. From vMobile, it returns BUSY. I call from any other extension using the same trunking, and it rings fine. It's very consistent. If I dial another cell number from the vMobile client, it works fine. A SIP trace looks normal ,though!
I guess I'll have to bring it up with Chris.

arpawocky
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

arpawocky to QuestBlue

Premium Member

to QuestBlue
said by QuestBlue:

If you do not have enough volume to go to L3 direct try working with some other regional setups that are buying direct from these carriers as QuestBlue.com is offering this wholesale without contracts or voip.ms as mentioned above and many others.

You really want to suggest that someone having an issue with a carrier should "port" their DIDs from their own account with that carrier to someone else's account with the same carrier? (because as far as I can tell, you absolutely are a Vitelity reseller)
said by QuestBlue:

Do you homework when picking a provider.

That I always do. ; )
said by QuestBlue:

I know there was a mention of a connection with voip.ms and Vitelity but that can be misguided.

No, it is spot on.
said by QuestBlue:

Many carriers that pull DIDs from L3 will show the same DIDs available until purchased by the consumer.

Incorrect.
said by QuestBlue:

It would then appear that the DIDs are the same in different systems. voip.ms and QuestBlue Systems.

If you're showing the same available DIDs, then yes you are definitely either a Vitelity reseller or a reseller of a Vitelity reseller.
arpawocky

arpawocky to w1ve

Premium Member

to w1ve
said by w1ve:

Awesome. I have faith then.,.. My current vmobile problem? It's an extension on my PBX... I call my own DID. Outbound is Voxbeam, DID is voip.ms. From vMobile, it returns BUSY. I call from any other extension using the same trunking, and it rings fine. It's very consistent. If I dial another cell number from the vMobile client, it works fine. A SIP trace looks normal ,though!
I guess I'll have to bring it up with Chris.

Why would that go out via voxbeam and back in voip.ms at all? shouldn't that just route internally on your pbx?

Where all is it showing up busy?

Ie, is Voxbeam returning busy?

Is your equipment returning busy to Voip.ms?

or are you giving a 200 OK to vmobile and its showing up busy on the device anyway?
arpawocky

arpawocky to w1ve

Premium Member

to w1ve
w1ve See Profile, also, have you noticed any difference in jitter between when the phone is on cellular vs when it is on wifi?

Its like - everything functions properly when its purely on cellular, but there is an unusually high jitter. On wifi, there are issues with the calls, but the jitter and latency are both really low.
w1ve
Premium Member
Hancock, NH

w1ve to arpawocky

Premium Member

to arpawocky
Voxbeam is my default outbound route for NA calls. I don't have an internal route for my DID -- don't normally call self. But, Voip.ms DID comes to PBX.
Anyway, yes, shows up as regular SIP BUSY back from Voxbeam. (number is not busy, and I don't even see the incoming call on VoiP.ms trunk.) More perplexing, I just call that same DID from a non-vMobile extension on the same PBX, it goes out the same route, and it rings though normally.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart

said by w1ve:

More perplexing, I just call that same DID from a non-vMobile extension on the same PBX, it goes out the same route, and it rings though normally.

This may a caller ID issue. If the caller IDs for the vMobile extension and the working one are intentionally different, check whether you are doing any inbound filtering at VoIP.ms. Or, do the two cases differ in intra/inter LATA or intra/interstate?

Otherwise, are the failed calls logged at VoIP.ms? If not, use SIP debug on the PBX to see what's different between the good and bad Voxbeam requests. If not caller ID, I'd bet on codecs offered, or possibly packetization.
w1ve
Premium Member
Hancock, NH

w1ve

Premium Member

same caller id

SIP looks identical other than BUSY
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart

said by w1ve:

same caller id

SIP looks identical other than BUSY

It sounds like you have eliminated all possibilities

Are you sure the SDP is the same (codecs, packetization etc.)?

Are you sure nothing gets logged at VoIP.ms and nothing comes in on that trunk?

If the vMobile extension is in use, e.g. called into echo test or speaking clock, can you successfully call your own DID from the fixed extension?

How are working incoming calls to your DID routed (ring group, IVR, etc.)?

arpawocky
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

arpawocky to w1ve

Premium Member

to w1ve
said by w1ve:

yes, shows up as regular SIP BUSY back from Voxbeam.

Only thing I can think of that would be different, is that vMobile (at least on cellular) will take an 11 digit dialed number, and convert it to 10 digits before passing it to your PBX. IDK if thats what your PBX is expecting or not - but AFAIK voxbeam definitely expects 11 digits for North America.

And seriously, create an internal route. Why pay for termination and then origination back to the same box? Plus it just adds extra latency. Seriously!

What happens when you dial some other NA number from the vmobile, does it always show busy, or just when you dial the voip.ms DID?
w1ve
Premium Member
Hancock, NH

w1ve

Premium Member

said by arpawocky:

Internal route created. As I said, don't dial it much from inside, but a good suggestion.
said by arpawocky:

What happens when you dial some other NA number from the vmobile, does it always show busy, or just when you dial the voip.ms DID?

It works. It IS related to the number of digits dialed. I normally dial 10 only. If some of my traces to my voip.ms DID, the outbound to Voxbeam has a missing last digit, and certainly that would cause the BUSY due to an invalid number. If happened more than once, so it is not a "finger fumble" issue.

Still looking at issue. Thanks for the great suggestions.

arpawocky
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

arpawocky

Premium Member

said by w1ve:

If some of my traces to my voip.ms DID, the outbound to Voxbeam has a missing last digit, and certainly that would cause the BUSY due to an invalid number.

Ok, in the calls where the outbound leg is missing the last digit, how many digits does the sip trace show coming in on the inbound leg from Vitelity's vmobile server?

Also, does the vmobile device use the same context in your dialplan as your other extensions?
w1ve
Premium Member
Hancock, NH

w1ve

Premium Member

said by arpawocky:

Ok, in the calls where the outbound leg is missing the last digit, how many digits does the sip trace show coming in on the inbound leg from Vitelity's vmobile server?

Also, does the vmobile device use the same context in your dialplan as your other extensions?

Yes, it uses the same same context. I did not SIP trace the inbound leg. I'll do that next. This one is weird... not laying blame on anything, yet.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1 to arpawocky

Premium Member

to arpawocky
said by arpawocky:

Just got a notice from Vitelity that they've been acquired by Onvoy.

And now, the Vitelity website indicates that the Vitelity name has become merely a "d/b/a" which means "doing business as".

Vitelity.com is owned and operated by Onvoy, LLC d/b/a Vitelity

»www.vitelity.com/terms_a ··· ditions/

-----

The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.

----Grand Moff Tarkin