spc
Search similar:

uniqs
klkemp100
join:2014-06-27
USA

klkemp100

[Electrical] No power to outlets or light switches

Today I started replacing the old ivory receptacles and light switches with white ones.
This is in a bonus room that has it's own breaker in the breaker panel.
I turned off the power, replaced 3 of the 5 outlets and 1 set of light switches (1 switch for a ceiling fan, 1 for a ceiling fan light though there is not one in use right now, and one for 4 can lights).
At this point I turned the power back on to verify that all was well and it was, all outlets worked and the fan and can lights worked.
Turned power back off and replaced the other two outlets, and then also started to replace the two switches in the stairway which both control a single light.
At this point I turned power back on and NOTHING worked. I checked everything and found that the switch in the stairwell was wired wrong so after turning power off I corrected the wiring on this switch.
Turned power back on and now the stairwell light works with both switches in the stairwell, BUT I still don't have any power at the outlets in the bonus roon and the fan and can lights don't work.

I have a VERY old continuity and voltage tool. I removed all receptacles and light switches in the bonus room (leaving alone the ones in the stairwell). After turning the breaker back on I started checking all the black wires to see if any had power and NONE have power.

I am stumped. What do I check or do now?
Many thanks!

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

The problem is either at the switches or one of those last 2 outlets. Since you said the outlets weren't getting power then it's probably in a switch. As you know 1 wasn't wired right I'd triple-check both switches again. 3-way's can be wired funny sometimes.

/M
klkemp100
USA

klkemp100

I re-did the 3 ways in the stairwell and they both work the light in the stairs correctly, however still no power in any of the black wires in the room itself still.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to klkemp100

Premium Member

to klkemp100
Make your life easier...get one of these:

»www.amazon.com/Fluke-1AC ··· 00EJ332O
John Galt6

John Galt6 to klkemp100

Premium Member

to klkemp100
Sometimes, in the Old School, Sparky used the white as a hot or switch leg. Needless to say, this can cause excitement if one isn't careful when disassembling things. Three-ways are a real problem for people not used to dealing with them and all of their variations.

The Code has been modified to require that conductors be properly identified by color. The problem with the variations still remains.
klkemp100
USA

klkemp100 to John Galt6

to John Galt6
I have something similar. It is showing no voltage at any of the outlets or switches in the bonus room EXCEPT for the two switches in the stairwell

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

Check the two switch boxes to see if there is an extra set of wires in the box. Sounds like the hot to the room was pigtailed to hot in to one of them. You might also try flipping both of the 3 way switches to each combination of on/off.

Pher9999
join:2011-07-06
Saucier, MS

Pher9999 to klkemp100

to klkemp100
I had this issue in my old house, with the hallway lights, on a 3way. It went through 2 lights and an outlet along the way and kept changing colors. I could never figure out which was the traveler. I left it as you had to use one switch or the other to turn the light on.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to klkemp100

Premium Member

to klkemp100
Any red wires in the boxes?