antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

Android without the mothership

»lwn.net/Articles/602521/ from »www.osnews.com/story/278 ··· thership ...

"The success of Android has brought Linux to many millions of new users and that, in turn, has increased the development community for Linux itself. But those who value free software and privacy can be forgiven for seeing Android as a step backward in some ways; Android systems include significant amounts of proprietary software, and they report vast amounts of information back to the Google mothership. But Android is, at its heart, an open-source system, meaning that it should be possible to cast it into a more freedom- and privacy-respecting form. Your editor has spent some time working on that goal; the good news is that it is indeed possible to create a (mostly) free system on the Android platform..."

For those who want Androids, but without Google parts.

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

ashrc4

Premium Member

Wondered why "Play Store" took over "Market" store option.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

If you root and install a custom ROM, you have to install GAPPS (Google apps) yourself according to copyright.

If you don't install, you can use Amazon or other safe places to get apps. I had a Coby wifi only tablet that didn't have Play on it. I forget which market it did have, but you could use Amazon, also. There's instructions on tablet fora as to how to sideload Play if you want it.
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

Yech amazon.... I just did away with every thing amazon on my kindle fire hd 8.9 (cyanogenmod 11 with twrp boot loader) As for side loading its pretty simple. I prefer droid explorer my self though.

Amazon is to much about controlling your tablet with their products. Sim to apples nonsense. Force those updates on you . If you do not want them and use every trick in the book to disable ota with amazon they will find a wway to still force it on you.

With cyano 11 my battery life went way up and my kindles discharge rate when hooked up to a usb cable on my laptop is extremely low while playing games on my emulators. If im just fooling around with it and not gaming it is a miniscule discharge. Dang near non existant. I accidently left my kindle on and not sleeping the other night with like 60% charge for like 12 hours pluss. By morning it was still around 5%. Sleeping it will charge fully on low power charger in about 4 hours.