spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mlott
join:2014-06-27
Hilliard, OH

mlott

new cablecard install no HD

I just had a cablecard installed this evening and I'm getting all my channels except for the non-broadcast HD channels. I called into support and they tried resetting the system twice which didn't do anything. I tried to explain to him that I read on here that it's probably some sort of flag on your system that needs to be set to allow HD to my cablecard but he refused to do anything further until a tech is dispatched to my house. Dan, is there anything you can do to get this straightened out or do think the tech will be able to get this resolved tomorrow evening?
mlott

mlott

Today the tech stopped by and said i would have to pay extra and add an hd package to my digital basic package in order to get any hd channels above 208. Is this true? Why bother even offering cablecard with the digital basic package if this is the case. Right now i'm getting the exact same channels on the digital basic package as i did over qam on just the basic package, except now im paying more to get the same service. i always thought the price difference listed of 75 for digital basic and 82 for digital basic with HD was just the price difference for the HD equipment and that if im providing my own equipment with a cablecard that i would automatically get all the hd channels in my lineup for the $75 fee. should be getting the hd channels above 208 here in Columbus?

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL

goober22

Sadly, that's the way it is with most providers. HD is considered an add-on option. Plans that include HD already have the fee factored in.

One day it may be the norm to have HD but it seems they still nickle & dime on everything. However, the phone support should have been able to tell you this and not waste your time and a tech visit. They should have seen you did not have an HD pak and told you that.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to mlott

to mlott
Since your using a cable card, bumping up to the package with HD while costing a few more, will get offset by no longer paying for the cable card as that should included since the 75 or 82 includes a box as well in the price.
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

adam1991

They stopped including the box in the package price awhile back.

The advantage to having cableCARD and something like Tivo or Windows Media Center is the programming guide that comes as part of the cableCARD setup.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Understood, its been a few years since I've had WOW, and I understand the reasons why for using a cable card.
mlott
join:2014-06-27
Hilliard, OH

mlott

Dan_WOW was able to help get everything straightened out. With WOW cablecard installs do receive all the HD channel equivalents to the SD channels in the given package (Digital TV Basic or Digital TV Signature) at no additional charge. adam1991 I talked to WOW on Monday and the bundle packages do include (1) SD or HD non-dvr box depending on which bundle you purchase. I agree the Tivo & WMC program guide is light years ahead of WOWs basic offering. I can't speak for the Ultra TV boxes though, I've never seen them in action as they are out of my price range.
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess

said by mlott:

With WOW cablecard installs do receive all the HD channel equivalents to the SD channels in the given package (Digital TV Basic or Digital TV Signature) at no additional charge.

That seems like a sweet deal or am I missing something?

Adding HD to a package costs $10/month but a cable card only costs $3.50 and you get the HD channels too.
adam1991
united state

adam1991 to mlott

to mlott
Well, you get the HD versions of the channels you are subscribed to. I agree, that's probably better than what TW offers.

WOW's thought process is, "you'll need to rent our expensive equipment to get those HD channels, so..." They can't make money on the movie, so they sell hell out of the popcorn.
baess

baess

said by adam1991:

WOW's thought process is, "you'll need to rent our expensive equipment to get those HD channels, so..." They can't make money on the movie, so they sell hell out of the popcorn.

What equipment is he renting with a cablecard?
adam1991
united state

adam1991

Oh, I completely get it that he's not renting any equipment. But overall, WOW is playing the game that by giving you HD, you'll need to rent their equipment to get it--because virtually no one has a Tivo or WMC or whatever.
baess

baess

said by adam1991:

Oh, I completely get it that he's not renting any equipment. But overall, WOW is playing the game that by giving you HD, you'll need to rent their equipment to get it--because virtually no one has a Tivo or WMC or whatever.

It doesn't seem quite right that someone with a cablecard gets free HD when everyone else has to pay extra for it. And like you say have to rent equipment too.

I bet there are more than one would think who are using a cablecard and with this little benefit the tech savvy and money saving people have an incentive to use one.

With all their recent fee changes this must have slipped by somehow.
adam1991
united state

adam1991

I didn't say everyone else has to pay for it. It's not an extra charge at all; you automatically are enabled/authorized to receive the HD versions of whatever channels you pay for.

If you want to roll your own to decode and watch it, that's up to you (Tivo, Windows Media Center, etc.).

Or WOW is happy to provide the means to decode and watch it...by renting you the hardware to do so.

Regardless, you'll need SOME extra hardware--yours or theirs--to receive those HD channels (locals excepted; WOW dutifully sends those down in the clear, as the law requires). And that hardware costs money.

So in the end, outside the local HD channels, everyone pays money to decode and watch the HD channels. It's simply a matter of to whom you pay the money. WOW is but one choice, and they're not the only choice.
baess

baess

said by adam1991:

I didn't say everyone else has to pay for it.

So in the end, outside the local HD channels, everyone pays money to decode and watch the HD channels. It's simply a matter of to whom you pay the money. WOW is but one choice, and they're not the only choice.

As I understand the OP he uses a cablecard, subscribes to NON HD service but still gets HD channels. Yes he pays $3.50/month for the card but he gets a service worth $7.

If I want HD adding HD to Digital or Digital Signature costs an additional $7. Yes I will get a piece of equipment to watch it on but I still am paying $7 additional.