spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Salty_Peaks
@173.255.181.x

Salty_Peaks

Anon

14.04 LTS - Laptop Fan Can't Make Up It's Mind

This one is weird. Running 14.04 LTS and the amd64 laptop is as happy as can be *until* I open up Open Office. The first time I open it after a fresh boot it takes about 20 seconds and I can hear the laptop fan spin up. Immediately after it opens, I close it, and the laptop fan literally spins backwards blowing hot air on my leg and Open Office/Libre Office opens in 3 seconds. If I close the lid and put the laptop into suspend mode the laptop fan constantly runs backwards and the entire system acts like it's a cheetah on crack -- everything is lightning quick. Shut it down and reboot and the laptop fan spins the normal way but everything is pretty slow. If this is an APIC issue it's blowing (pardon my pun) away not to mention cooking the Jimmies when the fan is in reverse.

Thoughts? BIOS is up to date, system is happy times with 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and a normal /etc/sources.list
jobr
join:2004-10-21
Halifax, NS

jobr

First, how can you tell that the fan is spinning backwards? "blowing hot air on my leg" sounds to me like it's doing what it's supposed to.

Second, does anything change if you try adding "noapic nolapic" to the kernel parameters in GRUB?

Salty_Peaks
@173.255.181.x

Salty_Peaks

Anon

lmsensors fancontrol fixed the issue, thanks jobr for the reply.