cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

[CATV] The secret of auto syncing tv remote plus other questions

Ok,
What's the secret trick to syncing the remotes that come with the Pace STB's?

Do ALL STB's have to connected at once or can I activate them 1 at a time? They DO have to be turned on, to activate, right?

Actually,
I should just ask what's the secret to getting these things setup? Should be simple as heck seeing as how I only have standard definition TV's.

My main issue is on one tv where it says to set the input source to "tv" "ant" "rf" and stuff, I see nothing like that on the one it!

techie01
@71.11.1.x

techie01

Anon

You can connect them one at a time at activate.charter.net if you know the s/n for the box you're activating or login to your charter my account and send a refresh hit to them.

Also for setup...incoming coax cable from the wall should go to cable in on the box and then from the box on cable out or to tv/vcr, run another coax cable to the back of your tv set and then set the tv on ch 3 or ch 4. If you use the RCA cord with the 3 colored plugs (red/white/yellow), you'd set the tv to your AV or video setting.

SD tvs don't have much of an input list per say for the most part.

As for the remote and syncing that, it's only being synced up to the TV, it should come preprogrammed for the box already.
Zappa2000
join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000 to cork1958

to cork1958
If your TV only has RF, and not the RCA or Component, then, you do like techie01 said, cable to STB, then from STB to TV, and make sure it is on channel 3. (4 didn't work for me).

If it has RCA jacks, then it is a bit easier, cable to STB, then RCA to RCA via the cables they give you.

The remote...while trying to find the right code for the TV was a PITA. My TV wasn't listed, so I had to do it manually, and it sure did take a long time. You would think you could just point it at the TV, then have it cycle the codes until it turns the TV off, then you press a button to lock in that code... but no, that would have been too easy.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

1 edit

cork1958

Premium Member

said by techie01 :

You can connect them one at a time at activate.charter.net if you know the s/n for the box you're activating or login to your charter my account and send a refresh hit to them.

Thanks techie
said by Zappa2000:

The remote...while trying to find the right code for the TV was a PITA. My TV wasn't listed, so I had to do it manually, and it sure did take a long time.

Yeah,
The connection for the STB itself is so easy a monkey SHOULD be able to do it, especially since all my tv's do only have a RF connection.

How/where did you get the code to manually set up the remote? I'm almost positive none of my tv's are going to be listed. What do you mean it took a long time also? A long time to actually find the code or for the remote/tv to connect? Am I supposed to be setting there hitting the channel + plus forever?

Another question is this. I won't be getting billed for that third STB until AFTER it's activated, right?
sonomazr2
join:2014-04-04
Minnesota

sonomazr2

When they gave it to you it was scanned into the system under your name. You will get billed even if it isn't activated. I just went through this. You can go online in your charter account and see if it was billed right away. Look under recent activity.
Zappa2000
join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000 to cork1958

to cork1958

said by Zappa2000:

The remote...while trying to find the right code for the TV was a PITA. My TV wasn't listed, so I had to do it manually, and it sure did take a long time.

Yeah,
The connection for the STB itself is so easy a monkey SHOULD be able to do it, especially since all my tv's do only have a RF connection.

How/where did you get the code to manually set up the remote? I'm almost positive none of my tv's are going to be listed. What do you mean it took a long time also? A long time to actually find the code or for the remote/tv to connect? Am I supposed to be setting there hitting the channel + plus forever?

Another question is this. I won't be getting billed for that third STB until AFTER it's activated, right?

It was in small print in the manual, with all the codes listed...
»www.myaccount.charter.co ··· ?ID=3283 is the pdf of it.
It took a really long time to cycle through the codes, I wish I had a monkey to do it for me!

And yeah, as soon as they shipped the STB (or cablecard) to you, they start charging.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

cork1958

Premium Member

said by sonomazr2:

When they gave it to you it was scanned into the system under your name. You will get billed even if it isn't activated. I just went through this. You can go online in your charter account and see if it was billed right away. Look under recent activity.

Crap! Doesn't that just figure!
said by Zappa2000:

It was in small print in the manual, with all the codes listed...
»www.myaccount.charter.co ··· ?ID=3283 is the pdf of it.
It took a really long time to cycle through the codes, I wish I had a monkey to do it for me!

Thanks for that pdf zappa. I see my first tv in that list, a Sharp. I guess it's trial and error on entering the code manually, assuming that's possible?

Don't you know I wish I WAS a monkey right now!

dsl14350
join:2005-06-16
Holland, MI

dsl14350 to cork1958

to cork1958
For someone who hates TV so much, you're paying for a third box? tisk,tisk...

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

1 edit

cork1958

Premium Member

said by dsl14350:

For someone who hates TV so much, you're paying for a third box? tisk,tisk...

Only because my kid is living back at home and because my wife now pays the cable bill and not me!!
cork1958

1 edit

cork1958

Premium Member

Next question is this.

Did I REALLY lose so many channels now? I used to have just expanded basic, but at least I had USA, A&E, Discovery and the History Channel, but now those all say not authorized! From what I'm seeing from the new program list, I just get basic and expanded basic channels, which is the same title as before, I guess, but lady on phone said I should still have all those aforementioned channels plus the ID channel, which I didn't have, but I know what it is. My wife is going to have a coronary if we can't get those channels now!

Is either their system or my STB just not updated yet?

Also,
What happened to my volume when connected to the STB? Cripe, have to crank tv almost to the very max just to be able to barely hear tv!

dsl14350
join:2005-06-16
Holland, MI

dsl14350

»[CATV] Missing channels since Charter digital upgrade

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

cork1958

Premium Member

Thank you, dsl14350
mdavej
join:2004-06-09
united state

mdavej

A couple of other great sources of codes:

»www.urcsupport.com/
»www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/lookup/

Also, since most cable tv remotes are JP1 remotes, you can buy an $8 JP1 cable from ebay and load any codes for any device, as well as program lots of cool new features as you would a Harmony remote. I control my 12 device home theater via 30 activity macros all on a simple charter remote.

Here are many things you can do manually, including the code search referenced earlier:

»www.hifi-remote.com/wiki ··· Commands

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

cork1958

Premium Member

Thank you, mdavej.

May have to look into that but for now, I'm not really to worried about the remote even if that is the main part of the topic here. I can live with having to use 2 remotes, for the little tv watching I do.
said by cork1958:

Also,
What happened to my volume when connected to the STB? Cripe, have to crank tv almost to the very max just to be able to barely hear tv!

Firgured this part out when STB got fully loaded as far as the menu button, although changing it to tv speakers didn't increase volume very much.
mdavej
join:2004-06-09
united state

mdavej

Sounds the output level of the box itself has been turned down. Using the instructions I linked, turn off volume lock on your remote, then turn the cable box volume all the way up. Then turn volume lock back on (for the TV device).

If you post the model of your TV(s) and what kind of Charter remote you have, I can most likely give you the code or give you a procedure for creating your own in case the code isn't built in.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

cork1958

Premium Member

said by mdavej:

If you post the model of your TV(s) and what kind of Charter remote you have, I can most likely give you the code or give you a procedure for creating your own in case the code isn't built in.

Really appreciate the offer mdavej, but I have it all figured out now.

Should've went with activating all 3 boxes at same time in the first place, but really wanted to see how the setup procedure goes as I've never seen anyone hook up a STB before!

Once I had all 3 boxes connected and on, everything went as smooth as pie. Gave me enough time to play with setting up remotes without being all flustered to begin with!

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Now, let's see how long before that speed increase.