imtiax
Premium Member
join:2014-05-24
Toronto, ON

2 edits

imtiax

Premium Member

[Modem/Router] 5GHZ is Awesome

I have the Rogers Express Package and in my bed room I generally get 30-50% wifi signal from the CGN3ROG.

Last night I decided to test out the Wireless N mode (5GHZ) and it is amazing, even at 50% signal I get full internet speed.

Screen shot of 5GHZ Wireless N »i.imgur.com/Axy8Qz3.png

Screen shot of 2.4GHZ Wireless G »i.imgur.com/zQx1GIW.png

Both screen shots were taken from the exact same place.

Now I no longer have to suffer from constant YouTube/NetFlix slow buffering any more since I get more than double speed of what I normally get.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

2.4ghz internet, especially in urban areas like Toronto, is basically only useful for quickly getting online and checking email or light web surfing. For anything that is latency or performance sensitive, it's useless. Too much congestion these days.
imtiax
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

imtiax

Premium Member

Yeah I live in an apartment building in downtown Toronto and it is filled with 2.4 GHZ Networks, I am the only person in my Wifi Range with a 5GHZ network.

So I don't have to worry about over lapping or interference.
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

2 edits

Hooter to imtiax

to imtiax
I also have Express with Rogers! With my older modem and my own router, I get the following on a speed test!

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 92252699

I also do not have to put up with poor range (we get a great signal anywhere in our house) or dropped connections. We use a smart blu-ray player in the basement and Chromecast in our bedroom and watch Netflix frequently with no issues!
imtiax
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

imtiax

Premium Member

I live in an apartment with concrete walls, so that's why my signal is poor.