All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
famine3
join:2014-06-28
Canada

famine3

Cogeco is now offering UNLIMITED data packages !

So I just got off the phone with Cogeco,

Starting July 3rd they are offering unlimited data packages for the 55mbit and 120mbit connections for an additional $25/m

So that means 55mbit unlimited regular price is $102.99

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Thanks for inquiring and posting.

Sounds a lot like THIS topic :

»Ultimate 55, 120 are getting a unlimited usage option (Ont, Qc)
Davesnothere

2 edits

Davesnothere to famine3

Premium Member

to famine3

I just did some math.

If the unlimited price is $102.99 plus tax, then what is the REGULAR plan's price ?

EDIT : Right now, their website still says $73.95 plus tax in Ontario, for the REGULAR 55 plan, WITH a monthly usage cap - the same price as it has said for some time now.

Something doesn't add up.

$102.99 minus $73.95 = $29.04, which is not $25, and also is not $30.

Are you in Ontario, or Quebec ?
famine3
join:2014-06-28
Canada

1 edit

famine3

Getting mixed messages I just talked to a rep who stated that if you have a bundle with tv and home phone you can get 55mbit unlimited data for $73,

but the regular price with no promo and no bundle for unlimited data on 55mbit is $102.99

I believe its an extra $30 for unlimited data add-on....which is quite affordable, teksavvys unlimited data 55mbit cable is $99.99 while cogeco is $102.99 so if your an existing cogeco customer there isnt much incentive to switch ISPs

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

I edited my last post to be more clear about what I see on their website.

BTW, $30 plus tax was the original surcharge amount which was rumoured here on May 23rd, if a subscriber had no bundle with Cogeco.

We were also discussing it more recently at the START forum :

»[cCable] New Cable Packages - Cogeco Territories

A quote of the original post with detailed pricing is at a further link in the first post.

That post was later edited to remove the numbers, but not before being quoted.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to famine3

Premium Member

to famine3
said by famine3:

Getting mixed messages - I just talked to a rep....

....a rep who only just got briefed and likely hasn't got it all straight yet, IMNSHO.

BTW, the unlimited 50Mbps plan from START is lower priced than TSI's 55/U.

But each of them does NOT include a modem, while Cogeco DOES.

Selective
@216.121.210.x

Selective

Anon

Can you have unlimited for only one month? Or only when you KNOW you will need it.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

You'll have to ask Cogeco, after all of their reps have been brought up to speed on the new deal, and all give the same answers to a caller.

RedMageX
join:2011-10-06
Hamilton, ON

RedMageX to famine3

to famine3
said by famine3:

for an additional $25/m

.....Nope nope nope nope nope.

Bell charges $10 for unlimited, Start.ca only $15. How can they justify $25 extra here? They clearly aren't paying attention to competition at all.

Glad I chose start.ca instead of Cogeco

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

You made the correct choice.

But y'all have to understand that the Indie ISPs are taking a bigger chance to offer unlimited monthly usage than Cogeco retail is, as Cogeco pays next to nothing internally to themselves for it.

OTOH, GOUGEco charges the Indies a F-N fortune in CBB and other line charges, so that the Indies can ill afford to offer us the lower rate when the wholesale service costs them more.

But they are forced to take a chance doing so anyway.

And BTW, I do not think that Bell's $10 deal is for everyone - only for customers who bundle other Bell services, which amounts to paying even MORE, for other stuff which you may not NEED.

We also have no proof yet (as in Cogeco's website, not inconsistently briefed call centre workers) that it is $25.

My last info was that it was $30, as detailed in my linked post to the thread in the START forum.

We will not know for sure until it is posted on the Cogeco website.

Cal
join:2014-04-23

Cal to famine3

to famine3
Just got off the phone and I was told to check in thursday for details.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

And Thursday by sheer coincidence is the 3rd.

Looks like another candidate for the Canadian list of 'worst-kept secrets'.

Cal

3 edits

Cal to famine3

to famine3
nvm, thought caps had changed but was looking at ontario info rather than quebec, funny how ontario people get higher caps than those in que.

EDIT: 4:30 am
quote:
July 3rd 2014 : We introduced two new unlimited Internet packages: Ultimate 55 Unlimited and Ultimate 120 Unlimited. As we complete our work on My Account, your Internet usage tool might be temporarily inaccurate.
Marcer
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON

Marcer to famine3

Premium Member

to famine3
So... Residential Unlimited Packages have launched as of today:

Ultimate 55 Unlimited

Ultimate 120 Unlimited

RedMageX
Hamilton, ON

RedMageX

Wow...$30 extra for unlimited?

Glad I chose differently, because that's just nuts
Marcer
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON

Marcer

Premium Member

said by RedMageX:

The price point is certainly competitive in the marktetplace (especially as this includes the use of a Cogeco supplied modem), and a strong option for consumers looking to utilize high bandwidth services on a daily basis.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere to Marcer

Premium Member

to Marcer
said by Marcer:

So... Residential Unlimited Packages have launched as of today:

Ultimate 55 Unlimited

Ultimate 120 Unlimited

Thanks for the update !

But why are they incorrectly calling it 'Bandwidth' (instead of monthly usage/transfer/traffic) on the Cogeco site's detail pages ?! (the ones at your links)

As I demonstrated just above, there are several more proper names for it.

I thought that Cogeco knew better than to misuse terminology, and should really fix that, in order to preserve their otherwise good reputation in that regard.

However, that individual inaccuracy doesn't change the deals.

Without other Cogeco services bundled, it's just a hair above what the highest Indie ISP has recently published for the 55 speed unlimited plan, be that a good or bad thing.

And if you DO want/need the other services, there IS a saving, just as there would be on the existing Cogeco plans with monthly usage caps.

Unlimited usage is not a service option which I need, but I'm sure that SOME folks will welcome this development.

And BTW, no matter how close to infinity that these users go, Cogeco will NOT be losing money in providing unlimited usage plans, as the data costs them next to nothing, in-house.

poopsty
@70.25.71.x

poopsty to RedMageX

Anon

to RedMageX
said by RedMageX:

If you have all 3 services(internet/phone/TV), then it is only $10 more.
So, when I call tonight, I will switch from Ultimate 120 to Ultimate Unlimited 55, and save $20 a month.

RedMageX
Hamilton, ON

RedMageX

said by poopsty :

If you have all 3 services(internet/phone/TV), then it is only $10 more.
So, when I call tonight, I will switch from Ultimate 120 to Ultimate Unlimited 55, and save $20 a month.

I don't want all three services, I just want Internet. Anything I want to watch I can stream, or get a season pass for

Cal

4 edits

Cal to famine3

to famine3
It is too expensive and they made it a new package instead of giving it as an option to the existing package which sucks to be frank.

I almost left the company awhile ago (I was on turbo 20) because they didn't offer unlimited and they offered me ultimate 55 for the same price as Turbo 20. I do not care if my download speed is 20mbps or 55mbps the problem I have is with the usage caps and with u55 I still go over with 225gb a month since I have 3 people using internet daily.

Now the way they have offered this I doubt I will be able to get unlimited for an extra 30 on the price I pay now plus they only seem to offer it at reduced price for a 3 bundle and nada for a 2 bundle.

Why the hell can they not look at the competition and get a clue? I would have gladly taken turbo 20 again and payed an extra 25$ for unlimited with those speeds, upload doesn't matter as 2mbps is the max we can get in my area, this only show up when I put in my address though.

Oh and who cares if they offer a modem....

It sucks....

Turbo 20 ~ 1.50$ per gb of usage over to a max of 50$ so essentially 50$ extra for unlimited....

u55 ~ 1.00 per gb of usage over no max limit

or u55 unlimited for 30$ more.

Thing is for those if us that do not need super high download speeds we are getting gouged or forced to pay for extra speed when we simply want a higher cap.....

Dunno but if they offer unlimited for 30 extra with no bundle they need to make it so other packages have a max of 30$ of overages charge.
Hamilton1
join:2007-10-28
Hamilton, ON

Hamilton1 to famine3

to famine3
I have ultimate 55 now and with my current bundle I pay $63.95 (Regular $73.95 - $10.00 TV Bundle). If I want unlimited I would have to pay $40 more as the only way you get a bundle this time is if you have Internet, TV and "PHONE"!!! ($103.95 - $63.95= $40)

Wow what a scummy thing to do to Cogeco!!!!

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Bell is now offering unlimited for $10 without home phone (as in, just Internet and TV). Seeing how Cogeco has been behind the curve on this issue, it isn't really surprising that their unlimited pricing is so high.

Bry
join:2008-12-31
Canada

Bry to famine3

to famine3
I think making it a 3-service bundle was a mistake, I mean, not everyone wants all their eggs in one basket. I do wish it was more of an option for the existing tiers, like perhaps, Turbo 20.

Oh well, at least they finally have unlimited again. UBB is still a shady practice, but Cogeco isn't the only player in on it.

-Bry.

Qcuser
@75.152.37.x

Qcuser

Anon

Just bad for you in ontario.... In quebec in a telus area competitor.... No charge for unlimited... Include by default on their 55 and 120
docbg
join:2004-03-10
Ancaster, ON

docbg to famine3

to famine3
And of course in the fine print:

"Must not exceed a reasonable usage limit"

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Brings back memories back in the day when Cogeco's service was "unlimited" until they cut you off for being "unreasonable". And what is this reasonable limit? What is reasonable on a 120Mbit package? 1TB? 2TB?

When companies throw around the U word, they really need to be transparent with their definition of it. Oh and btw, you can avoid that nasty "reasonable usage limit" clause by going to the much more expensive BUSINESS unlimited package.
Mokmo
join:2005-02-03
Saint-Georges, QC

Mokmo to Qcuser

to Qcuser
said by Qcuser :

Just bad for you in ontario.... In quebec in a telus area competitor.... No charge for unlimited... Include by default on their 55 and 120

And switch from Turbo 20 to unlimited 55 for 20$/month+tx extra... It's good to be in Telus territory.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to Qcuser

Premium Member

to Qcuser
said by Qcuser :

'QCuser' did not mention the name of this so-called competitor.

Who are they, and what does any of this have to do with Telus, anyway ?

Come clean with us, please.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

I think what he meant to say was that in regions where Telus Quebec was a competitor, they offered unlimited in their higher speed plans:

»www.telusquebec.com/fr/i ··· identiel

His English was a bit broke, that's all.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

But of course !

Danke.

But is Telus delivering this thru Cable or Phone lines ?

Must be in not that large of a potential market.

And no English version of that page exists, or just no lingo link on each page of the Telus site ?

UPDATE : That whole site only seems to exist en Francais.

I thought Canada has 2 official languages.

The MAIN Telus site is bilingual, so what's THIS all about ?

Qcuser
@75.152.37.x

Qcuser

Anon

Telus offer in quebec ( old quebectel territory ) via vdsl and ftth 25 50 100 mbits with unlimited data... ( officialy telus never charge on their other package... )

Cogeco for competition in this area offer unlimited data without any fee on their 55 and 120. Package ! Price is the same as before !