Search similar:

uniqs
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

Re: Cogeco is now offering UNLIMITED data packages !

said by Davesnothere:

UPDATE : That whole site only seems to exist en Francais.

I thought Canada has 2 official languages.

The MAIN Telus site is bilingual, so what's THIS all about ?

I suspect the region they cover is so overwhelmingly French speaking, there's no point even making an English site.
Mokmo
join:2005-02-03
Saint-Georges, QC

Mokmo to famine3

to famine3
And Telus is laying fiber in many areas, it seems there's some in the pole behind my house.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Mokmo:

And Telus is laying fiber in many areas, it seems there's some in the pole behind my house.

Bell is, too. They're doing FTTH here in Fort Erie. And Bell now also does unlimited for ten bucks with just two services instead of three, meaning you need just TV and Internet to get a "deal" on unlimited.

Keaters
Premium Member
join:2007-07-25
Windsor, ON

Keaters

Premium Member

Save the money on the TV and spend the $30 bucks extra for unlimited and stream and download all the shows you want

smogers
@108.170.167.x

smogers to Davesnothere

Anon

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

But why are they incorrectly calling it 'Bandwidth' (instead of monthly usage/transfer/traffic) on the Cogeco site's detail pages ?! (the ones at your links)

As I demonstrated just above, there are several more proper names for it.

Dave just because you believe other terms should be used doesn't mean the rest of the world does. They are not incorrect only because they do not live to your abnormal standards.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by smogers :

Dave just because you believe other terms should be used doesn't mean the rest of the world does. They are not incorrect only because they do not live to your abnormal standards.

It's not MY standard, it's the industry standard of terminology.

Bandwidth really does mean something else.

Bell was the first in Canada to use the term improperly, and looks like Cogeco has hired a former Bell web designer or something - they never made this mistake before now in their promo.

gooner
join:2013-07-05
St Catharines, ON

gooner to Keaters

to Keaters
I'm on 120 and already stream/download everything and haven't come close to the cap. I wouldn't give them the extra $30 (especially with how service has been as of late).

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Keaters

Premium Member

to Keaters
said by Keaters:

Save the money on the TV and spend the $30 bucks extra for unlimited and stream and download all the shows you want

I'd do that for myself but my wife and the kids still want TV.

Keaters
Premium Member
join:2007-07-25
Windsor, ON

Keaters to gooner

Premium Member

to gooner
I have looked at my usage for the past 5 months and I have never been over 425GB ever, so unlimited is not an option right now.
Mokmo
Saint-Georges, QC

Mokmo to famine3

to famine3
Someone in the house assumed we were on the now-unlimited tier (in an area where it's not extra) and ran the usage to 73% of the month in 9 days... Glad i caught it...
(Yup Turbo 20 and its 125GB is marketed as the basic for an online family, it's not enough !)
But still, more allowance on the lower tiers would be nice.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Mokmo:

.... (Yup Turbo 20 and its 125GB is marketed as the basic for an online family, it's not enough !)

Not trying to START anything, but Cogeco gives 150GB in Ontario on that speed.
Toollio
join:2003-11-17
Brazil/Cda

Toollio

Can anyone who has ever STARTed anything in Cobourg tell me whether the experience has been good?

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Cannot answer that, but I should mention that START, TekSavvy, and VMedia each offer an unlimited monthly usage plan for the 20Mbps speed.

START & TSI also offer plans with usage caps for that speed, and they do not count upstream traffic towards their caps, as well as free downloads during the wee hours.

Cal
join:2014-04-23

Cal to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by Mokmo:

.... (Yup Turbo 20 and its 125GB is marketed as the basic for an online family, it's not enough !)

Not trying to START anything, but Cogeco gives 150GB in Ontario on that speed.

ONT and QUE get different caps, it is higher for peeps in ONT.

Que gets:

E5 ~ 30GB
E10 ~ 65 GB
T14 ~ 90GB
T20 ~ 125GB
U55 ~ 225GB
U120 ~ 400GB

Ont gets:

E6 ~ 35GB
E10 ~ 80GB
T14 ~ 125GB
T20 ~ 150GB
U55 ~ 275GB
U120 ~ 425GB

Note that Ont gets a different first tier package which is 6mbps down instead of 5 mbps down.
Mokmo
Saint-Georges, QC

Mokmo

said by Cal:

I'm in Quebec, so Cal's tables are pretty much right.
E5 and T14 are not available to our area, they actually called to ask us to get on T20 when they removed T14... for a few more dollars a month.
the extra 25 GB Ontarians get sounds pretty nice...

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Cal

Premium Member

to Cal
said by Cal:

But the maximum overage fee has always been lower in Quebec than in Ontario, and I believe 55 and 120 had maximum overage charges in Quebec whereas in Ontario there was no max and they could run up the charges to thousands of dollars in a month.

Cal
join:2014-04-23

Cal

said by Gone:

said by Cal:

But the maximum overage fee has always been lower in Quebec than in Ontario, and I believe 55 and 120 had maximum overage charges in Quebec whereas in Ontario there was no max and they could run up the charges to thousands of dollars in a month.

In Que lower tier packages E5 TO T14 it's 30$ max overage charge at 1.50$per GB, I think in Ont it's a max of 50$ and 1.50$ per GB.

In Que T20 it's a max of 50$@1.50$ per GB just like in Ont.

For U55 and U120 it's the same for both Que and Ont namely no max amount@1.00$ per GB.

Like I said earlier I find it asinine that if you have T20 they charge you MORE per GB and to get unlimited it basically costs you 50$ more per month.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

So if speed is not our priority, for Unlimited usage plans (or the equivalent to such, on lower speeds) the total monthly cost would be various different amounts, and not necessarily what we would expect.
Mokmo
Saint-Georges, QC

Mokmo to famine3

to famine3
So i gave a quick reading of the small print on the Quebec packages page. It starts making assumptions like an hour of HD video is 2.5GB, i think it's more likely double that.

From Cogeco's site
Downloading movies, videos or online games are part of your daily life? Other family members use the Internet? Subscribe to High Speed Internet Turbo 20!

Movies: an HD movie is what, 5 to 10GB ? And that's assuming 720p
Games: An AAA game like Watch Dogs is reportedly around 20GB. GTA V was 30GB...
Let's not mention the mandatory updates consoles require to work, 200MB a shot every few weeks. And that's not counting the patches games themselves require to get online. I don't even dare fire up my PS3...
Youtube use a little high ? Even without using HD yup you're already over. And that's not counting what else the other people in the house are doing. Fetching something for the 2-year-old, watching videos sent from family all over the province...

And i'm hoping the Cogeco guy is reading.
It might be a good idea to up the data usage cap on the Turbo 20... Mostly because all its text claim on the packages page now applies to Ultimate 55.

(And yes from the posts i did here earlier, i'm going over on my T20 for july)