spc
Search similar:

uniqs
robertt
join:2000-08-17
Holland, MI

robertt

Help Activating eBay NGV589

I'm trying to activate a NGV589 I bought off eBay. I've got it connected and am getting really good sync rates. (Max Downstream 63920, Max Upstream 13029) When I run diagnostics Ethernet, DSL and PTM pass but Authentication fails.

I've called AT&T and the technician tried but has so far failed to fix the authentication problem.

Any suggestions?

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

Get ready for some flames, most people here don't like ebay'd 589's. »Ebay modem - Authentication?

That said, have you tried restoring defaults on it? Also, what version firmware is it running?

If it's flagged as stolen then you're SOL. You'll need to take it up with the seller or dispute it through ebay.

/M
robertt
Holland, MI

robertt

I have reset to defaults. The firmware is 9.1.0h4d38

No one has claimed that it's stolen (yet). The guy I bought from says he switched to business service and AT&T didn't want the 589 back.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

The certs in that version should still be good, but you can try updating to 9.1.0h12d19 to see if it helps. Other then that I don't have any other ideas.

/M
nbxvu9.1.0h1···.bin.zip
18007006 bytes
robertt
Holland, MI

robertt

Reflashed the new version and then reset to factory defaults. The user interface is quite a bit quicker. Unfortunately my authentication issue is still there. Line sync is still good.

Thanks

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to robertt

Premium Member

to robertt
I would call AT&T. It should work if they did give it to them. Cox give a modem it still works I think.

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

What uverse service did you subscribe to, and what model gateway was it (before you tried to replace that 'official' ATT gateway with this one)?
robertt
Holland, MI

robertt

I have 18 Megabit Internet only service. My old gateway was a 3801HGV.

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

And web page UI is basically functional?
Can goto HomeNetwork/Config and toggle IPV6?
Can goto Broadband/Config, set Source Override=line-1 (or line-2, not auto)?

Do you have a dedicated cat5 home run (that might have two pairs connected), or internal phone wiring (single pair)? Are the pair(s) used shared with any (POTS) phones?

Toggling IPV6 (in working connection) would after 10-12 seconds toggle the DNS servers between 68.x.x.x (off) and 99.x.x.x (on). Probably yours isn't making it far enough to even report any DNS servers.

Does Diagnostics/EventNotifications have Broadband Status Notification enabled? Not sure how it would communicate problems, without interfering with access to the gateway's own web UI. Does it only intercept non-RG web pages: to return an HTML page with details? Is it working, telling you anything at all about the failure?

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to robertt

Premium Member

to robertt
The NVG 589 is a unit that At&t owns and if you activate the modem they will charge you 7.00 lease fee per month
OpTiC

OpTiC to robertt

Premium Member

to robertt
That means return it back to at&t
RJIH
join:2011-05-15
Smyrna, GA

RJIH to robertt

to robertt
If AT&T tech support cannot active the modem you may have a NVG589 that is malfunctioning. I have played with two NVG589s that were ebay purchased and all I had to do was plug them in and they worked. I will add that I connected both modems to a laptop and did a factory reset prior to connecting the phone line.