Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy

Premium Member

Frameless mirror mounting question

Click for full size
pocket door during construction
During a recent renovation, we made a walk-in closet and installed a pocket door in the wall. After the closet cabinetry was installed the only location left for a mirror is - you guessed it -- the section of wall where the pocket door recesses into the wall.

I want to mount a 60 inch by 16 inch bevel edged mirror (the cheap ones from the big box store). As you can see from the picture, while I might be able to drive small mirror clips with 1-inch screws on the mirror sides (1-inch calculated from thickness of clips plus 0.5 inch drywall plus 0.25 inch estimated thickness from memory of those lateral straps across the pocket) into the strapping without hitting the door. But at the height that the mirror needs to be mounted, there is no strap along the line where the bottom of the mirror would be. So I cannot provide bottom support via clips or J-channel at the mirror bottom.

So, mirror mastic seems to be the right solution. Put circular blobs of mirror mastic on the back of the mirror and smack it onto the wall, right? But in my readings, everything says you need to support the mirror until the mastic has time to cure. How can I support the mirror until it cures? Would be easy if there was something into which screws could be safely driven. But not here. I read one suggestion of double sided tape in addition to the mastic, but am not really happy with that idea.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

Use a couple of pieces of 2x4 or other wood at the correct height to support the bottom of the mirror. You should not need anything to keep it pressed to the wall until id sets up.
The other alternative is a J or L channel on the bottom screwed into the bottom strap and a few clips on the side. They don't need to be that strong as it is just being kept vertical. I really don't like mastic because once it is used, the wall is permanently damaged.

pferrie3
join:2005-01-27
Boston, MA

pferrie3 to sempergoofy

to sempergoofy
Looooooooooooooong strips of industrial strength Velcro ..... then the mirror can be removed without damage and or repositioned.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

nightdesigns to sempergoofy

Premium Member

to sempergoofy
I thought frame-less mirrors were, for the most part, just glued on to the wall. Can you make a temporary stand for it while the glue sets and you should be good to go?

sempergoofy
Premium Member
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy

Premium Member

You are correct that a frameless mirror is just glued to the wall with mastic If mastic is used. But as I wrote, the stuff I am reading about using the mastic indicates that the mirror should be supported while the mastic cures.

I cannot use J-channel along the bottom because the mounting height for the mirror puts the bottom of the mirror above the lowest wood strap. I'm no giant at 5'11", but the top of the mirror needs to be at 72" unless I want to never see my head in the mirror. This puts the bottom of the 60" mirror somewhere in that lowest segment of white door in the photo.

The velcro is an interesting idea, but I think the only time it would ever need to be respositioned would be if we painted the newly-renovated room again.
eakes
join:2000-10-20
Richardson, TX

eakes to sempergoofy

to sempergoofy
I attached a similar size mirror to a sheetrock wall in my home using mirror clips, 1 inch screws and common sheetrock anchors. I used two clips at the bottom, two on the sides and two at the top. I DID NOT use any adhesive (or similar product). The mirror has been there for over thirty years (except for while I was painting the walls).

Once in place the force is downward, not outward, so a hefty wall attachment is not required.

However, if you must 'glue' to the wall and want to support the bottom of the mirror until the 'glue' sets, place a board along the wall under the edge of the mirror and prop the board in place. Attach 'legs' to the board that will reach the floor and lean something heavy against the board to keep it tight to the wall.
bkjohnson
Premium Member
join:2002-05-22
Birmingham, AL

bkjohnson to pferrie3

Premium Member

to pferrie3
I've always wanted a house with Velcro wall paper. That way the ladies of the house could hang, move and rearrange pictures to their hearts content.

pferrie3
join:2005-01-27
Boston, MA

pferrie3

and if the little ones are acting up you can wrap them in Velcro and stick them to the wall for timeout

sempergoofy
Premium Member
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy

Premium Member

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· xxqKGmYg

Ok. Looks like I'll have to build a little something simple to hold a piece of wood beneath the bottom edge with legs that go to the floor to be propped by something heavy while the mastic sets up. If wall anchors were safe to use, I would just clips, but not with that door right there beyond the back of the drywall.