Search similar:

uniqs

Hawk
Premium Member
join:2003-08-25

Hawk to Coma

Premium Member

to Coma

Re: [Landscaping] Ancient brick structure - What is it?

said by Coma:

said by Hawk:

Could it possibly be a "segmented circle" for an old landing strip?

For Pierrefonds international airport ?

What did you expect from a bird?
older dog
Premium Member
join:2005-06-09

older dog to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
If the walls go 5 to 10 foot down it may have been a water storage pit for the bucket brigade.
They can be found near old barn and house foundation.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to alkizmo

MVM

to alkizmo
Here's a random photo of a farm with an older grain silo (happens to be from Ontario): »upload.wikimedia.org/wik ··· ic38.jpg

I'm guessing it's about 12' in diameter and ~20' tall. Contrary to more modern, metal silos today that are 24' or so diameter and 30-40' tall....

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Hall:

Here's a random photo of a farm with an older grain silo (happens to be from Ontario): »upload.wikimedia.org/wik ··· ic38.jpg

I'm guessing it's about 12' in diameter and ~20' tall. Contrary to more modern, metal silos today that are 24' or so diameter and 30-40' tall....

Yeah well, according to the aerial photo I found of my house just before construction, there was no structure there as there were trees in the way, or it was a well under the trees, there seems to have been a stream running through those woods, which would explain a LOT of things about the land of the park that runs behind my house.
moofo
join:2004-02-04
Montreal, QC

moofo

Just invite us four a couple cold one and we'll invent a nice story of what it is !

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084 to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

There is a train track (still there) as reference point and a few pictures have that track with that discerning curve right next to the river, but my house is JUUSSSST out of the frame

There were things, but anyway... as you can see, I waited 3 years to make a post about it and only because I felt like "what the hey, I am on my roof today". I will use it for ghost stories to my kids.

It was a watch tower for the French army during the British invasion!! There was a battle in our backyard and now when I dig my flower beds, I find corpses!

Yeah, they'll sleep real good!

I am very sure you will have some various historical societies around your area-nearly every place does, and they are filled with geeks such as myself interested with the historical stuff. People either are really hot or cold on this stuff, and it sounds like you are on the hot side.

You will likely find people with tons of aerial shots taken years back of your area. You might think that is crazy, but yeah, there will be folk. Keep looking and investigate even if isn't solely to find out about this brickwork. When you start looking at historical pictures, you can glean a lot.

People can guess all they want-and that is fun and part of human nature. But I will warn you that things can really, really change in 50 years. I look at where my house was in 1951, and all the things I used to "guess" were mostly wrong when I saw aerial shots.

I don't believe Sandborn Maps came to Canada, but you can glean a lot if there were something similar. They will have wells/cisterns documented.

Get with your historical center-you will have a group of friends and before long you will be discussing every minute detail, railroad switch, etc.

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

One of my neighbours had an capped old dug well open up in his back yard about 10 years ago. It was about 4' diameter and 40' deep. It had been capped with just old barn/fence boards and then covered in about 2' of dirt. It was a very well made brick-lined well.

And they never once considered what a deathtrap they were making, or didn't care....

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to alkizmo

MVM

to alkizmo
Interesting... No one would be likely to build a silo under trees, nor near them knowing the roots are likely to do damage. Could it be really old, like pre-tree timeframe? Heh, anything is possible, is probably your answer !

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Hall:

Interesting... No one would be likely to build a silo under trees, nor near them knowing the roots are likely to do damage. Could it be really old, like pre-tree timeframe? Heh, anything is possible, is probably your answer !

Ok, I will go with secret magical tunnel built by the vikings.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

It has a 10 feet diameter, though it isn't even a half circle, so it may be a bigger diameter if it was a full circle or semi-circle.

Check this out, tanks up to 16 feet in diameter: »archive.org/stream/cu319 ··· mode/2up

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to alkizmo

Mod

to alkizmo
Have you dug up any of the brick? I would think that brick or history experts could identify and date it. That would give you a good starting point.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by Hall:

Yeah well, according to the aerial photo I found of my house just before construction, there was no structure there as there were trees in the way, or it was a well under the trees, there seems to have been a stream running through those woods, which would explain a LOT of things about the land of the park that runs behind my house.

Go back 100 years. I suspect it's a silo. If you could find the farmhouse on the original farm, it might help. I know that by the 1960's a lot of that area was already being developed. I lived in Beaconsfield at the time. There were massive developments across the island then. My grandparents lived in the an original seigneurs house just outside of St. Eustache on the river.
DKS

DKS to Raphion

to Raphion
said by Raphion:

said by MaynardKrebs:

One of my neighbours had an capped old dug well open up in his back yard about 10 years ago. It was about 4' diameter and 40' deep. It had been capped with just old barn/fence boards and then covered in about 2' of dirt. It was a very well made brick-lined well.

And they never once considered what a deathtrap they were making, or didn't care....

100 years ago, the area was heavily farmed and well-cultivated.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

Go back 100 years. I suspect it's a silo. If you could find the farmhouse on the original farm, it might help. I know that by the 1960's a lot of that area was already being developed. I lived in Beaconsfield at the time. There were massive developments across the island then. My grandparents lived in the an original seigneurs house just outside of St. Eustache on the river.

Sadly there aren't any pictures from 100 years ago.
But, the fact that it seems to be right next to a stream, where the field ends and the trees start, hint to maybe this was where the farm houses were located on their lots? (Near the water source).

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by alkizmo:

said by DKS:

Sadly there aren't any pictures from 100 years ago.
But, the fact that it seems to be right next to a stream, where the field ends and the trees start, hint to maybe this was where the farm houses were located on their lots? (Near the water source).

Yes. My grandparent's home was between the road and the river. Close to water, especially for watering animals.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by DKS:

Yes. My grandparent's home was between the road and the river. Close to water, especially for watering animals.

I guess that settles it, I mean as to whether it was from the farm, or the house's construction. Since it was never in the way of the foundation, they never dug it up to build the house.

The full size picture is really interesting to see how the neighborhood was in the middle of its development, to see foundations being built, all brand new houses, all 50+ years old now, like you DKS, OLD (more than 50!!!!!)

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
Hey I resemble that
mityfowl

mityfowl to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
Did you scour the area for names and dates on the bricks?
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by Raphion:

said by MaynardKrebs:

100 years ago, the area was heavily farmed and well-cultivated.

Forest Hill, in Toronto??? I think not.
Not sure whose neighbours you were thinking of.
My neighbour's home predates city water service though.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to robbin

to robbin
said by robbin:

Have you dug up any of the brick? I would think that brick or history experts could identify and date it. That would give you a good starting point.

it might even have a company name on it.. here's a start to identification. »brickcollecting.com/

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by mityfowl:

Hey I resemble that

You are similar to what?
said by mityfowl:

Did you scour the area for names and dates on the bricks?

said by iknow_t:

it might even have a company name on it.. here's a start to identification. »brickcollecting.com/

Gonna dig one up this evening after work since everyone wants me to
said by MaynardKrebs:

I think he was talking about my area.
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plat

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
One thing you could do is contact a local university and see if they'd help. Well, at least one with an interest in history and ruins. They might be able to figure things out. Or browse what passes for the land registers office. See what the land may have been used for before it was turned into a sub division.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Forest hill wasn't even incorporated until 1923. It would have been "rural" a century ago. But I was referring to the OP. Sorry you were confused.

Boooost
@151.190.40.x

Boooost to alkizmo

Anon

to alkizmo
Above ground swimming pool.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to iknow_t

to iknow_t
said by iknow_t:

said by robbin:

Bricks in Canada tended not to have names on them, as they were often made by small, local operations. I know, for example, that the many brick works in this city were never named, but they supplied a unique red product. A more yellow product, from a town to the south, was often, but not always, named.

In the OP's community, manufactured brick was largely from the south shore. Local field stone was more common as a foundation material, though.

In some communities, moulded cement blocks. with a chiseled stone pattern, were the building material of choice.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
Have you thought about the commercial aspects of this.

Ringed fort - see Ireland

or can you relate it to Elvis or UFOs

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by DKS:

I guess that settles it, I mean as to whether it was from the farm, or the house's construction. Since it was never in the way of the foundation, they never dug it up to build the house.

The full size picture is really interesting to see how the neighborhood was in the middle of its development, to see foundations being built, all brand new houses, all 50+ years old now, like you DKS, OLD (more than 50!!!!!)

When I moved to Beaconsfield, in 1960, our subdivision was the first north of the tracks and what was then Metropolitan Blvd. It's interesting to go back and see how it has changed. A tree we planted is still there!

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
Given the size and placement of the bricks I would assume it was the perimeter of a flower bed.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

1 edit

alkizmo to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

When I moved to Beaconsfield, in 1960, our subdivision was the first north of the tracks and what was then Metropolitan Blvd. It's interesting to go back and see how it has changed. A tree we planted is still there!

Yeah, looking at the aerial photos really gives me a visual of the stories I heard, like Boulevard Gouin being a highway, highway 20 having traffic lights and how rural things were.
BTW, a lot of the trees planted in new developments in the 1960s are still there. There are a lot of huge trees in my neighborhood. Some streets have trees that are about 3-4 times higher than the house, it's really impressive.

When I was 8, we moved to a new development in Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, next to the arboretum, north of the 40. As a kid, I would go play outside the boundaries of the neighborhood and find these old stone fences, metal fences, and the obvious tree lines shaping the perimeter. There are still signs of the old rural life in the west island today.