Search similar:

uniqs

icex
Premium Member
join:2004-05-22
USA

icex

Premium Member

[Help] Anyone work on commercial refrigerators?

A buddy of mine that closed his store loaned me a true refrigerator, one of the big glass door ones. They put a new compressor on it a year or two ago and it was never turned on afterwards.

So we have it running for around a week or two. Everything is fine with it. I come in to the shop Tuesday and no power. Fuse blew on the transformer. They get it fixed after 4-5 hours and we're back up and running. Refrigerator is still cooling and staying around 36-38 degrees

Next day is a slow day, I'm browsing the web and BOOM! transformer blows the fuse yet again, and no power. We call the power company and after a 2 hour wait they show up, he pulls a vine off the transformer, puts the fuse in and leaves. Refrigerator is on and compressor is running so we leave for the day.It was still pretty cold (around 45) when we left.

Come back next morning and its hovering around 55 degrees. I figure the temperature button was bumped, its still on 3. I set it down to cool more and it keeps getting hotter. The fan is blowing semi-cold air in the back but not ice cold. I unplug and call the local A/C guy. He comes at the end of the day and said the compressor is hot (refrigerator was off all day..) and to let it sit off overnight because the power outage may have caught it during its "cycle" and its locked. Says he'll be up the next morning to see if its working. He never shows up (not unusual with this guy)

Next morning its still not cooling. Compressor just runs and runs. I get online and start reading.. I read to clean out the fins on the condenser under the unit, so I pull out the shopvac and vacuum the dust off. Nothing! I let it sit all day with the door open thinking maybe its froze up. Nothing..

I've called and called the A/C guy and he's always got a excuse. I'm tired of a ton of drinks sitting on the refrigerator and people can't buy them. What do you guys think is wrong with it, has the compressor went out or is it possibly out of Freon?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

2 edits

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by icex:

A buddy of mine that closed his store loaned me a true refrigerator, one of the big glass door ones. They put a new compressor on it a year or two ago and it was never turned on afterwards.

So we have it running for around a week or two. Everything is fine with it. I come in to the shop Tuesday and no power. Fuse blew on the transformer. They get it fixed after 4-5 hours and we're back up and running. Refrigerator is still cooling and staying around 36-38 degrees

Next day is a slow day, I'm browsing the web and BOOM! transformer blows the fuse yet again, and no power. We call the power company and after a 2 hour wait they show up, he pulls a vine off the transformer, puts the fuse in and leaves. Refrigerator is on and compressor is running so we leave for the day.It was still pretty cold (around 45) when we left.

Come back next morning and its hovering around 55 degrees. I figure the temperature button was bumped, its still on 3. I set it down to cool more and it keeps getting hotter. The fan is blowing semi-cold air in the back but not ice cold. I unplug and call the local A/C guy. He comes at the end of the day and said the compressor is hot (refrigerator was off all day..) and to let it sit off overnight because the power outage may have caught it during its "cycle" and its locked. Says he'll be up the next morning to see if its working. He never shows up (not unusual with this guy)

Next morning its still not cooling. Compressor just runs and runs. I get online and start reading.. I read to clean out the fins on the condenser under the unit, so I pull out the shopvac and vacuum the dust off. Nothing! I let it sit all day with the door open thinking maybe its froze up. Nothing..

I've called and called the A/C guy and he's always got a excuse. I'm tired of a ton of drinks sitting on the refrigerator and people can't buy them. What do you guys think is wrong with it, has the compressor went out or is it possibly out of Freon?

Check the condenser fan see if it's running
might have gotten blown from the surges

I'd assume this is the issue. since it's overheating

icex
Premium Member
USA

icex

Premium Member

Its running

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

2 edits

Anonymous_

Premium Member

something did get damaged though

icex
Premium Member
USA

icex

Premium Member

Do you think maybe its out of Freon? He said the compressor was hot even though it had been off all day and was not plugged up, so how could it stay hot?
icex

icex

Premium Member

I forgot to put in my OP that I did call the power company and file a damage claim. Their suppose to call me within 5 days.