Search similar:

uniqs
minimelkav
join:2014-06-29
Saint Michael, MN

1 edit

minimelkav

[Other] Bonding two charter Modems

I have been needing some more up-link speed (And Download Now That I Think About It) than the 5 mbit/s that charter offers.

So i thought to myself " Why not buy TWO subscriptions with TWO modems, in one house, Genius ! 2x The performance ".

But than I realized its not that easy, I would need some sort of bonding. I know you can do something like Bonding two modems on a DSL (Multi-link PPP). But cable doesn't use ppp sooo... im at a loss. Could Charter set both modems to have the same IP and be a bridge ? so my switch / router would just see 2 links to charter's switch / router. (I know this kind connection can be done between 2 Cisco switches with 2 Ethernet cables...) But charter might not be willing to do that Any Thoughts Would be Great !

Edit: If bonding is a bust could i use a load balancing router and put all the traffic through a vpn to a server with a 100mb/100mb connection?

racer9876
Defender Of The Universe
Premium Member
join:2000-07-03
Lancaster, CA
·Frontier FiberOp..
(Software) pfSense
eero Pro 6

racer9876

Premium Member

Charter probably doesn't offer any kind of bonding service.

This is probably your best bet if you need more upload speed: »www.charterbusiness.com/ ··· tab_id=1

According to that they offer up to 7 Mbps of upload.
minimelkav
Saint Michael, MN

minimelkav

I Have looked at that. They "Cant" (Won't) install business services in a house
applerule
Premium Member
join:2012-12-23
Northeast TN

applerule

Premium Member

You should call again...

I have a charter business connection in a house, and they never questioned it. I have the 60/4 business with phone. I live in a subdivision with no businesses anywhere near me.
minimelkav
Saint Michael, MN

minimelkav

I Will 60/7 would be nice

But still want to know if charter do an kind of bonding ?
Zappa2000
join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

1 edit

Zappa2000

said by minimelkav:

I Will 60/7 would be nice

But still want to know if charter do an kind of bonding ?

Charter (or really any cable company that I am aware of) doesn't support multihoming. While there are some high end routers that have multiple WAN ports, to actually take advantage fully (like being able to up/download @ 2x the speed, they need to support that upstream.
Heck, you can't even get them to install 2 different lines to the same place, so the point is moot.
You just need to 'upgrade' to business class, or get a dedicated fiber line.
minimelkav
Saint Michael, MN

minimelkav

I know of a person that has 2 accounts in one house.... I do have a old but somewhat high-end router that i use its a NetVanta 3305 with an extra Ethernet card in (So 3 Ports in total). It does multi-link and load balancing. Also 2x 30/4 connections @ $39.99 (60/8 @ $80 in total) might be cheaper than a single 60/7 connection but ill look into it. Great to hear that most providers do support multihoming !

tscotty
Premium Member
join:2005-07-04
Ridgeway, MO

tscotty to minimelkav

Premium Member

to minimelkav
Like applerule I have Charter business installed at my house. Works great and I can have servers with no ISP port blocking.
applerule
Premium Member
join:2012-12-23
Northeast TN
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6183
Asus RT-N66

applerule to minimelkav

Premium Member

to minimelkav
Just so we're clear...I don't think they have a 60/7. I have 60/4. I just got my business connection about 4 months ago, and I was offered what is on their website (60/4, 80/5, 100/7).

I did not ask how much the 100/7 was because I didn't need anything that fast, but I was quoted around $65/mo for 60/4 and around $130/mo for 80/5. My guess is 100/7 would be pushing the $200/mo range, at least for my market. I pay right at $140/mo for my 60/4 and phone (I have nearly every phone service charter offers, and I have the managed router)

Like Zappa said, Charter offers fiber and ethernet based solutions, but be prepared to pay several hundred dollars per month for it.

If you are looking for just more upload, is there a residential fiber provider in your area (like FIOS or anything?).

Good luck on your hunt for better upload.
minimelkav
Saint Michael, MN

minimelkav

nope , no fiber (its charter or 10/1 DSL) well $200 a month is umm... out of budget.
minimelkav

minimelkav

So , multihome , 2 modems with the same ip.... it might work. But how to get charter to set it up for me.

Edit: Would the VPN connection work, load balance the connection ? I have access to a server in a rack with full 100/100 connection but its 50 miles away

DLow
join:2013-11-16
Waxahachie, TX

DLow

I have done several installs here in dfw where customers run two modems it requires that you have two diff accounts but they multihome the modems
BlakePaulson
join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN

1 recommendation

BlakePaulson to minimelkav

to minimelkav
You could get two modems installed... I supposed call one ste 1/apt 1 and ste 2/apt 2 and then combine them with this:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 33704101

Although you won't get speeds of 8mbps up on one specific transfer, if you make multiple transfers at a time your total speed will be 8mbps on the up side.

That sucks that you can't get anymore than that for upload... I have 10/10 through fiber at my business for $49 a month (more like 14/14 the way they provision) but they get astronomically more expensive the higher up you go (for 20/20 they want $109)... I can get 50/50 for $300 a month (pretty cost prohibitive)
minimelkav
Saint Michael, MN

minimelkav to DLow

to DLow
So I would pay Twice , Have the same IP and Be able to run my router in multi-wan and get 2x the speed ! ( Hopefully )
minimelkav

minimelkav to BlakePaulson

to BlakePaulson
Actually I think can get 8mb/s on one socket (Like a FTP Connection) possibly not with that hardware. Because both modems will have the same IP (the source and destination of packets will be the same ) the connection between me and charters backbone is the only place it will be doubled .

DLow
join:2013-11-16
Waxahachie, TX

DLow to minimelkav

to minimelkav
Yes if you want two modems at the same address it requires two accounts two bills.

But honestly as far as the speeds go I've had customers that do multi-home the modems and do get some what better speeds
zed260
Premium Member
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Netgear R7000

zed260 to minimelkav

Premium Member

to minimelkav
said by minimelkav:

I Have looked at that. They "Cant" (Won't) install business services in a house

charter will do anything for the right amount of money heck i was quated for 2k a month i could get ftth and 1 gigabyte upload/download

the question is can you afford it charter doesnt care if your in a home or bussnuss as long as you got money
minimelkav
Saint Michael, MN

minimelkav

Ill call Charter sometime this week about getting a second modem with a subscription. Thanks everyone !
sittin_tech
join:2004-04-13
Rochester, MN

1 recommendation

sittin_tech to minimelkav

to minimelkav
You will have 2 different ip addresses with 2 different modems. Then you'll need a good load balancing router.

Godfrey
@71.81.69.x

Godfrey to minimelkav

Anon

to minimelkav
How do you get a pure fiber line from charter for your internet? Where I live, charter has old coaxial wires running to my house. I game a lot, so I need the best quality that I can get. My internet now is very unstable. The ping to the node is at 23ms. I just want better ping. Don't really care about download as much( more upload would be nice). I live by St. Louis so I get the 100 download. Can't tell the difference because of the lag.

CoolMan
join:2008-01-07
Maryville, TN
ARRIS BGW210-700
Netgear R7000

CoolMan to minimelkav

to minimelkav
said by minimelkav:

I have been needing some more up-link speed (And Download Now That I Think About It) than the 5 mbit/s that charter offers.

So i thought to myself " Why not buy TWO subscriptions with TWO modems, in one house, Genius ! 2x The performance ".

But than I realized its not that easy, I would need some sort of bonding. I know you can do something like Bonding two modems on a DSL (Multi-link PPP). But cable doesn't use ppp sooo... im at a loss. Could Charter set both modems to have the same IP and be a bridge ? so my switch / router would just see 2 links to charter's switch / router. (I know this kind connection can be done between 2 Cisco switches with 2 Ethernet cables...) But charter might not be willing to do that Any Thoughts Would be Great !

Edit: If bonding is a bust could i use a load balancing router and put all the traffic through a vpn to a server with a 100mb/100mb connection?

I invite you to check out a couple threads of a fellow member here at BBR who did something similar to what you would like to do, now he is using Suddenlink Cable but it's still similar since there a cable provider as well. He mainly wanted more upload like you as well, and SL was not providing it (much like Charter) with a single connection.

Threads are a bit long but worth the read for tips on bonding the connections together.

»My plans for >200mbit speeds at home..

»MAX 300 or whatever....
CoolMan

CoolMan to zed260

to zed260
said by zed260:

charter will do anything for the right amount of money heck i was quated for 2k a month i could get ftth and 1 gigabyte upload/download

And just think if you were ~30 miles SW you could get EPB Fiber Optics for $69.99 and 1 Gbps symmetrical speeds....
Phatty
join:2000-05-10
Saint Louis, MO

Phatty to Godfrey

to Godfrey
said by Godfrey :

How do you get a pure fiber line from charter for your internet? Where I live, charter has old coaxial wires running to my house. I game a lot, so I need the best quality that I can get. My internet now is very unstable. The ping to the node is at 23ms. I just want better ping. Don't really care about download as much( more upload would be nice). I live by St. Louis so I get the 100 download. Can't tell the difference because of the lag.

It is aimed at Business customers because of the costs involved with running the fiber. So unless you have a lot of money burning a hole in your wallet it is probably not a service you would want. I suggest sucking it up and trying to work with Charter to figure out why your lag is so bad.
Jazzemt
join:2009-02-12
USA

Jazzemt to minimelkav

to minimelkav
The Asus ac68 routers will do the bonding nicley.
zed260
Premium Member
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Netgear R7000

zed260 to Phatty

Premium Member

to Phatty
said by Phatty:

said by Godfrey :

It is aimed at Business customers because of the costs involved with running the fiber. So unless you have a lot of money burning a hole in your wallet it is probably not a service you would want. I suggest sucking it up and trying to work with Charter to figure out why your lag is so bad.

yeah its to costly for the average person depending on how far from the node you are

lineofsight
join:2003-01-03
East Saint Louis, IL

lineofsight to Godfrey

to Godfrey
23 milliseconds is 23 1,000ths of a second. That is .023 seconds. Good luck improving this on any noticeable level.
lineofsight

lineofsight to minimelkav

to minimelkav
The only bonding that you might ever see is is and when charter starts offering upstream channel bonding. "If" is someday, I'm sure. "When" is a huge guess.
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2 to minimelkav

to minimelkav
I do not have information on channel bonding....however, I do know Charter customers with two modems in their homes. My brother has a pre-WWII house, and had many signal problems and dropped connections. So he has one modem upstairs, with his own router, which covers the bedroom areas. A second modem, and a second price - but NOT a separate account - based in the living room on the first floor.

Others have posted the need for two accounts, in my experience you can have two internet subscriptions on one main account. It's also common with larger homes in my area.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

2 recommendations

moes to lineofsight

Premium Member

to lineofsight
"gamers" I'm not dissing anybody but the ones who bitch about ping times, think a 23ms ping makes them lag. when in reality it's their brains messing with them and if servers they are playing on have that bad of anal admins it's time to move on to another clan/server. also streaming to twitch, really wish people would understand if you set that for the max of your upload you are saturating more then you are streaming and they wonder why they have issues. stream at half of it. "but quality' you want to stream or you want to bitch? lol.

dwykofka
join:2004-12-07
Norway, ME

dwykofka to minimelkav

to minimelkav
I had a business line and a residential line to my house at one point. I used a multiwan router from syswan in order to bridge both connections to my network. While you can use the full bandwidth of both connections with this method you cannot use it for a single stream of data. You could route say game traffic over 1 connection and ftp traffic over another or route 1 computer over connection 1 and another computer on your network over connection 2 but you will not get a faster connection for 1 particular stream of data.

Some vendors like fatpipe offer products that they claim will do this but the problem is that most services dont understand multihoming and will not work properly. They way that they do this is by requesting different bits of the same content over each connection. This is fine for your average webpage but anything with SSL or a non-http type connection just fails. At one point I was load balancing http traffic only and then sending https over a single connection and that did speed up some webpages but the gains were not worth the hassle / expense.