uniqs

Toymaster
Premium Member
join:2001-12-27
Flint, MI

Toymaster

Premium Member

RT-AC68R vs RT-AC68U.

Would someone please tell me the difference. I am looking up grade from my aging USR 5461, yes I said USRobotic Router. I am looking into the AC to N 802.11 as most of my devices can use the N standard. I have also looked at the Nighthawk and WRT1900AC as well.

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE

Premium Member

I'm not familiar with that model, but quite often the last letter is just the revision.

Based on those model #'s, I'd say the "U" is newer and likely the only difference is the firmware.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium Member
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA

Veloslave to Toymaster

Premium Member

to Toymaster
difference between the 68u and the 68r? Feb 18, 2014
I had this exact same question and called ASUS. They said the product themselves are exactly the same on the inside. The "U" stands for universal (e.g. can be sold by Amazon). While the "R" stands for re-seller. (e.g. meaning it can be sold though stores like Best Buy)

»www.amazon.com/RT-AC68U- ··· 0FB45SI4

I have the 66U and it ROCKS!

Toymaster
Premium Member
join:2001-12-27
Flint, MI

Toymaster

Premium Member

I was thinking the "R' meant like retail..so I was half way right, but still it is just confusing.
have you hand any issues with the 66U and what 802.11 do your devices connect to it with N/AC/B/G?

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium Member
Martinez, CA

Veloslave

Premium Member

I have been thrilled with my RT-AC66U... it has a UI that is so simple anyone could set up advanced networking and the wireless connectivity and speeds are nothing short of perfect.

Used to run a DD WRT but the lack of N and the speeds that go with it made me switch... as you know it is not just another Wireless router, it can handle SMB easily. It is not cheap and I would buy it again in a second if mine went missing.

I have always been impressed with ASUS's leading the bleeding edge but in the past their support from getting in touch or just trying to find a driver on their old website was pure nightmare but they really seem to be kicking some butt lately... the support has made it to a good to excellent level and their build quality is, as I have always found, very good. I run a Dell shop but if they started to fail me, I would go ASUS before HP.
58391701 (banned)
join:2014-06-30
New Westminster, BC
Actiontec T1200H
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Netgear R7000

58391701 (banned)

also a happy rt-ac66u user here. i got mine about one year ago now.

within the first month i was on the merlin-wrt fw

then within a few more i had tried dd-wrt. at the time it was under developed. came back to it and tomato shibby around v116 in february and i have found tomato shibby to be my favourite FW for this router. currently running v120

i highly recommend the R7000 Nighthawk though because of its CPU. currently it is the most powerful router supporting tomato

it has even been overclocked from 1GHz to 1.4GHz and apparently its stable.
said by Toymaster:

I was thinking the "R' meant like retail..so I was half way right, but still it is just confusing.
have you hand any issues with the 66U and what 802.11 do your devices connect to it with N/AC/B/G?

yes, the router is backwards compatible with all previous wifi standards a/b/g/n and obviously it works with ac

not to sure if thats exactly what you were asking, but for me it works well with everything i have tried. my only complaint is 2.4GHz band could have a bit better range

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Toymaster

Premium Member

to Toymaster
Also (just now) opted for the slightly cheaper 66U and LOVE it. Apparently the major diff between the 66 and 68 is the 68 has a dual core cpu so it's slightly faster. I can live without that

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium Member
Martinez, CA

Veloslave

Premium Member

Are you running the stock firmware or...?

I have been stock so far, I haven't needed anything is hasn't had so far. For those that go with the custom FW... why?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

Stock working fine for me, too. IPV6 works fine with it, which is a nice bonus.