spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ainyul
join:2009-10-19
Mont-Royal, QC

ainyul

[TV] Fibe TV non-operational HUB 2000

During the last tech visit i was suggested to move HUB to get better wifi; and was told that all i needed was a longer phone wire to connect from the jack to the new placement of HUB;

after doing such the hub no longer connects; power light is on, wifi is blue on and off yet 2nd light is red on and off;

spent nearly 90 minutes on phone with tech support but to no avail, any suggestions?? nothing works now, but phone, no internet nor tv...

Frank_IT
Premium Member
join:2003-11-01
Montreal

Frank_IT

Premium Member

If you put it back where it was, with the previous wire.. does it work?
merkin47
join:2014-06-19
L2R3B0

merkin47 to ainyul

to ainyul
Did you plug it into the jack that it was previously plugged in to? There should be a POTS filter installed where the services enter your place, just make sure the jack you plugged into is the one with DSL. You can rearrange the wiring yourself, if you need to.
kyphos
join:2014-03-26
Ottawa, ON

kyphos to ainyul

to ainyul
The 'longer phone wire' you used may be the problem. Is it a standard consumer telephone cable (flat silvery/satin sheathing) with RJ-11 plugs on each end? Those cables are often constructed with fine spiral-wound wire. This type of wire is very flexible, but attenuates the high-frequency DSL signals (due to increased inductance).
hogtownhog
join:2013-08-23
Toronto, ON

hogtownhog to ainyul

to ainyul
Make sure you plug the phone cord in to DSL1 at the back of the modem.
ainyul
Mont-Royal, QC

ainyul to Frank_IT

to Frank_IT
said by Frank_IT:

If you put it back where it was, with the previous wire.. does it work?

wasnt able to do that since i have connected the tv and all annex items \apple tv, roku, ethernet splitter, wifi radio etc etc)...but am tempted to redo all the wiring if i cant get it fixed soon...
ainyul

ainyul to merkin47

to merkin47
said by merkin47:

Did you plug it into the jack that it was previously plugged in to? There should be a POTS filter installed where the services enter your place, just make sure the jack you plugged into is the one with DSL. You can rearrange the wiring yourself, if you need to.

yes, plugged it into the same jack, had i known i would have asked the tech that came last week (3rd in 10 days) to move the jack instead of telling me to just buy a new phone extension.
ainyul

ainyul to kyphos

to kyphos
said by kyphos:

The 'longer phone wire' you used may be the problem. Is it a standard consumer telephone cable (flat silvery/satin sheathing) with RJ-11 plugs on each end? Those cables are often constructed with fine spiral-wound wire. This type of wire is very flexible, but attenuates the high-frequency DSL signals (due to increased inductance).

yes; correct wire but the 15ft wire was too short so had to use the 25ft wire; this could be the problem...

having said that when i was with level 2 tech support yesterday he wasnt sure where the phone jack should go and initially toild me to move it to the tel 1 slot, not the dsl 1...!
ainyul

ainyul to hogtownhog

to hogtownhog
said by hogtownhog:

Make sure you plug the phone cord in to DSL1 at the back of the modem.

yep. done.
ainyul

1 edit

ainyul

hope the tech comes today, was told he will be here from 5-9 and the 2nd visit the tech never showed up, despite confirmed appt and me taking a day off work to get this fixed!!!

EDIT: just called to find out what happened and still no tech, am on hold with BELL who says they have a note that tech couldnt get in touch with me; despite me being here and giving all contact numbers landline and cell...
ainyul

2 edits

ainyul

dont believe it, 2nd missed appt by a tech in less then 2 weeks; no phone call, no email, nothing at all...!!!!

EDIT: funny thing is that phonetech first told me that there is a note on file saying hometech came but i wasnt home; after which i reacted he put me on hold saying that dispatch indicates no techs were available; so means either rep 1 was lying or rep 2 was lying.

EDIT2: then i asked if DISPATCH knew why didnt anyone call me? at this point i asked for phonetech supervisor and lo and behold she the supervisor found a temporary fix and internet and tv now working...!!

EDIT3: tech still needs to come apparently cause the temp fix can go at any time.

EDIT4: am being told there is a problem with the line outside; am curious how could this coincide with me moving the modem??
hogtownhog
join:2013-08-23
Toronto, ON

hogtownhog

said by ainyul:

EDIT4: am being told there is a problem with the line outside; am curious how could this coincide with me moving the modem??

They can't really tell whether the problem is located outside. They think they can though...
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

This is true and it frustrates me when someone on the phone testing an entire circuit can think they know the problem is outside
ainyul
Mont-Royal, QC

ainyul to hogtownhog

to hogtownhog
somehow tech level 2 supervisor found a temp solution; which she said may or may not last. internet and tv working but speeds drastically reduced and tb does have some choppiness...

when i asked her she said she was able to bypass..huhhh??...and get it working for now...
ainyul

ainyul to btech805

to btech805
said by btech805:

This is true and it frustrates me when someone on the phone testing an entire circuit can think they know the problem is outside

what has piqued my curiosity is how she had a temp soln and no on else could...

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to ainyul

Premium Member

to ainyul
said by ainyul:

somehow tech level 2 supervisor found a temp solution; which she said may or may not last. internet and tv working but speeds drastically reduced and tb does have some choppiness...

when i asked her she said she was able to bypass..huhhh??...and get it working for now...

Due to the shitty quality of the phone extension cable that was used your speed profile was most likely dropped so that your modem would sync up again.

A level 2 supervisor has more tools available than a front line rep.
ainyul
Mont-Royal, QC

ainyul

if i pick another extension from bell store would that do the trick? if so any specific steps when i change the wire?
said by JC_:

said by ainyul:

Due to the shitty quality of the phone extension cable that was used your speed profile was most likely dropped so that your modem would sync up again.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by ainyul:

if i pick another extension from bell store would that do the trick? if so any specific steps when i change the wire?

said by JC_:

said by ainyul:

No guarantee that it will work either, we carry phone extension cables however we only use them when we really need to when running a new jack isn't feasible.

Voytech Diz
@206.47.249.x

Voytech Diz

Anon

your problem is that your using a dsl cable for your modem in excess of 6 FT (2 meters) you need to put back the original 6 foot cable, if it doesnt reach move your modem back to where bell installed it before you played arround with it and tried to move it somewhere u shouldnt. if u need ur modem moved permanently, book a modem re-location instead of trying to do it yourself

-Voytech
ainyul
Mont-Royal, QC

ainyul

said by Voytech Diz :

your problem is that your using a dsl cable for your modem in excess of 6 FT (2 meters) you need to put back the original 6 foot cable, if it doesnt reach move your modem back to where bell installed it before you played arround with it and tried to move it somewhere u shouldnt. if u need ur modem moved permanently, book a modem re-location instead of trying to do it yourself

-Voytech

you are absolutely correct; the extension cord was longer then 6ft and when plugged back with initial cord the speeds came back

just to clarify; during the last techvisit and only after my request to have jack moved was "refused' i was suggested by said tech to get a longer phone extension; and suggested that moving the modem may also solve the WIFI issues.

However, if i had made non-validated changes then the fault is completely mine but i assure you this was not the case.

Cheers!

EDIT: wifi speeds are half of what they were but will work on that on another day now.

pducharme
Premium Member
join:2010-06-29
Sherbrooke, QC

pducharme

Premium Member

If I were you, I would call to request a modem move change. If the 1st tech wasn't at your place for that in the 1st place, he probably didn't had the time to do it and told you to use a extension cord.

As for the wifi issue, it may solve it or not, it really depends on a lot of factors. Maybe the channel you use is already over-used by neighboors, etc.
ainyul
Mont-Royal, QC

ainyul

said by pducharme:

If I were you, I would call to request a modem move change. If the 1st tech wasn't at your place for that in the 1st place, he probably didn't had the time to do it and told you to use a extension cord.

As for the wifi issue, it may solve it or not, it really depends on a lot of factors. Maybe the channel you use is already over-used by neighboors, etc.

i have to agree with you; he was there for the lost signal issue and the fact that wifi was non=operational;

I did some research and will install a powerline option for the wifi; lets hope that makes a difference.