Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael to Xspector8

Premium Member

to Xspector8

Re: List your top 10 Favourite video games of all time and comment on the list above yours

Decent list, but I will never understand the appeal of Ocarina of Time over Link to the Past (the original).

1. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
2. Final Fantasy 7
3. Final Fantasy 3 (U.S.)
4. Diablo II
5. Starcraft
6. Diablo I
7. Portal 2
8. Unreal Tournament
9. Super Mario World
10. Halo
Xspector8
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03

Xspector8

Premium Member

said by Tirael:

Decent list, but I will never understand the appeal of Ocarina of Time over Link to the Past (the original).

The original was actually just titled "The Legend of Zelda" for the NES. Link to the past was the first one on SNES and the 3rd in the series overall. The justification for Ocarina on my list is simply because it was the first Zelda I anticipated its release, the previous had been out for years by the time I started my gaming career. It is also the first 3D Zelda. This is of course all opinion so take it as you wish.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia to Tirael

to Tirael
From the Steam Sale thread:
said by Adalicia:

01. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (PC)
02. Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
03. Fallout (PC)
04. Knights of the Old Republic (PC)
05. Transistor (PC)
06. Planescape: Torment (PC)
07. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
08. Metal Gear Solid (PS)
09. Persona 4 (PS2)
10. Amnesia: The Dark Descent (PC)

Honorable Mention to Mass Effect, Dragon Age: Origins, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Fallout 3, Metal Gear Solid IV: Guns of the Patriots, Final Fantasy VII, System Shock II, Bioshock Infinite, Super Metroid, and a few others.

And the reason someone would opt for OoT over ALttP is because OoT did something very new for the time. ALttP is a great entry into the Zelda series, it builds on the original LoZ in an almost flawless way BUT like almost every entry on the SNES that builds off a previous entry on the original NES (Super Mario World versus Super Mario Brothers 3, Contra versus Super Contra, Castlevania versus Super Castlevania 4, Metroid versus Super Metroid, Final Fantasy versus Final Fantasy II/IV) ALttP simply buffs up and builds on the original. Obviously there are some exceptions, Final Fantasy III/VI and Chrono Trigger for example. Both are widely considered two of the best games of all times and they really did just build off their roots during this period without having to reinvent themselves. I feel the story aspect helps a lot however and the Zelda series has never had a particularly good story. OoT however has to reinvent what a Zelda game was in the shift to 3D. Same with Mario 64 for example. The camera system in Mario 64 was brilliant for the time. The Z-Targeting system used in Zelda was brilliant for the time and both are huge reasons 3D gaming ended up working out. Someone else would have eventually figured it out but Nintendo basically did it first.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

Seems to be mostly older or indie games, I like it!

In no order what so ever:
pokemon, all of them
Zelda OoT
Duke Nukem 3D
UT2k4
witcher 2
Modded skyrim
half life series
minecraft
sonic adventure 2 battle
modded doom.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to Tirael

Premium Member

to Tirael
said by Tirael:

A Link to the Past is definitely not the original Zelda game but it's my favorite Zelda game for sure. Ocarina was great but ALTTP was better.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

There is actually an interesting phenomenon that exists within a lot of different game series but is especially noticeable in the Zelda series due to how long the franchise has been around and how similar a lot of the games are (relatively speaking). How much of it becomes ingrained nostalgia? Probably a lot. Basically, whatever the first Zelda game someone plays to completion usually happens to be their favorite, and it trends well with the the ages of players. It isn't always the case, but most of the time it is fairly spot on. People my age are probably going to go with A Link to the Past. Little older than me and it might be the Original (or perhaps even Zelda II: Adventures of Link). Little younger and it will probably be OoT. Little younger still, Majora's Mask. Start getting around that 20 year old range and it probably will be Windwaker.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

An astute observation! Although I am old enough to have played the original Zelda, we never owned it so ALTTP is indeed the first one I played to completion, over and over again, on a black and white tv my dad picked up at a yard sale for $2 because someone told him game consoles ruined tv sets. Good times.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael to Xspector8

Premium Member

to Xspector8
My "the original" qualification was due to the fact that A Link to the Past was re-released on the 3DS recently as A Link Between Worlds (albeit with a different story). It was for clarification.

RedMageX
join:2011-10-06
Hamilton, ON

RedMageX to Adalicia

to Adalicia
said by Adalicia:

People my age are probably going to go with A Link to the Past. Little older than me and it might be the Original (or perhaps even Zelda II: Adventures of Link).

Zelda II was a train wreck. I absolutely hated that game, I liked the premise, but it was the worst Zelda game ever made IMHO

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

I don't know if I would call it a train wreck. The only major issues I have with the game is that due to the high difficulty you are basically required to grind out experience. Otherwise I actually think it is a good game.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

I liked Zelda II as well. It doesn't follow the original Zelda formula and it's hard as nails but I remember having fun with it. Of course back then it was play the game you had or play nothing so maybe that had something to do with it...

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

That is usually the biggest gripe anyone has against Zelda II: Adventures of Link. "It isn't like th e first one." Well, at that point there were only two Zelda games, the top down hadn't become the norm yet, being mad that it isn't like the original is like being mad Super Mario II wasn't like the original. Granted, it really was a different game originally in Japan (Doki Doki Panic) but it isn't a bad game, just different.