join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

Re: Facebook's secret, massive emotional manipulation experiment

said by StuartMW:

said by antdude:

What about security addicts? Are we scary?

Sometimes. The ones that eat through FIOS cables certainly are

Until Verizon gives me FIOS, my scary ants will keep eating through FIOS! :P

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Sheryl Sandberg apologizes for Facebook's News Feed experiment: 'we never meant to upset you'
quote:
Facebook has come under fire in the last few days after it was revealed the company had altered the news feeds of nearly 700,000 users in a psychological experiment. The scientists behind the experiment quickly put together an apology and explained the tests Facebook ran, but now one of the company’s top executives is speaking out about the project. COO Sheryl Sandberg called the experiment "poorly timed" and went on to apologize, reports The Wall Street Journal. "This was part of ongoing research companies do to test different products, and that was what it was; it was poorly communicated," said Sandberg. "And for that communication we apologize. We never meant to upset you."
»www.theverge.com/2014/7/ ··· periment

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to 19579823

to 19579823

Re: ‏

> using something AS A GUEST!!

And then there are those who think being a "guest" gives them security, or privacy, or anonymity .

> altered the news feeds

Seems to me, there were some altered news feeds here at dslreports not long ago....?
Right around April 1 I think it was?

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: Facebook's secret, massive emotional manipulation experiment

What's a news feed? I never check my page, I head for daughter's page and discuss hippopotami and what they live in and/or wotters, weezels and moggies. (Otters, ferrets and cats)

I log in, allow FB via Noscript, click on kid's pic, read and post there, log out, revoke temporary permissions, close the browser which dumps everything. I also don't keep history. Not under my real name, and no profile. FB keeps hoping but they have to take 55Cancri as a location. I don't chat or use FB email, either.

I also don't have it on the phone. Titanium Backup lets you get rid of it totally.

If I do see "what's on your mind" the reply is nothing or maybe a verse from the Jabberwock or some such nonsense.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Check that on the Verge article. Facebook bigshot and mouthpeace Sheryl Sandberg bleated:

Facebook Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg said Wednesday during a trip to India that the study was "part of ongoing research companies do to test different products" and was "poorly communicated."

The company said that after the feedback on the study, "We are taking a very hard look at this process to make more improvements." [...]

siljaline

1 recommendation

siljaline to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Facebook Experiments Had Few Limits
»online.wsj.com/articles/ ··· 04344378

Facebook denies emotion contagion study had government and military ties
»www.theguardian.com/tech ··· ary-ties
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
»www.xkcd.com/1390/

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
You are a product of an environment you don't control, for example:
quote:
Over several weeks and hundreds of shoppers at two major supermarket chain stores in Oregon and Pennsylvania, Inman found that a typical shopper spends precisely $1 above his planned budget for every 55 feet (or, say, 20 paces) he walks in the store. That finding comes from pre-shopping interviews on planned purchases, RFID tracking to trace his movements through the store, and then an inspection of receipts afterward.

But the more significant part of the study involved coupons. With all the data that supermarkets can now collect from customers through loyalty programs, coupons touting savings can be personalized and delivered through mobile devices. Inman took one sample of people and divided them into two groups: 1) those getting a coupon for a product located close to the path they would normally travel, 2) those getting a coupon for a product further off that path, forcing them to cover more ground in the store.

Result: those forced off the beaten path spent $21 more than they had planned to, while those sticking closer to their routine spent $13 more than planned, a 61% difference.

»www.forbes.com/sites/tom ··· ou-walk/

Ever wondered why some stores seem to be laid out by folks completely out of their minds on drugs, well they aren't on drugs, they are just moving the sheep.

Blake

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

1 recommendation

carpetshark3

Premium Member

We must drive the grocery store nuts, then. We both use lists, don't use brand coupons - we get the store's coupons and only use the ones we want. Rarely backtrack unless forgot an item not on the lists. We usually buy store's own brand anyway so store coupons are more useful.

I notice we don't get any more store coupons for any kind of desserts or sweets. We don't buy them.

Any coupons that come in the mail are automatically relegated to the trash. I do more special shopping online or elsewhere since no merchants in town carry what I do want.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
10 Other Facebook Experiments On Users, Rated On A Highly-Scientific *WTF* Scale
»www.forbes.com/sites/kas ··· n-users/