Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to rradina

Premium Member

to rradina

Re: I don't see how

Usually it comes with lots of restrictions on which devices can play it and many times wants a special player software. If you rip it you can use anything that can read that format and consume it how you choose not how they choose and once the money changes hands they loose the right to choose how I consume.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

My question isn't quality or usage restrictions. My question is, does this ability, offered without penetrating cloudy laws, good enough to satisfy fair use? If it is, the judicial system no longer has a context in which DMCA collides with precedent.
devolved
join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD

devolved to Skippy25

to Skippy25
Which is perfectly legal because you are viewing what is essentially your own receiver as if you are sitting at home in NY even though you are on the other side of the country in LA.
devolved

devolved to rahvin112

to rahvin112
It was created by Congress at the request of the broadcast lobby.

Provides like Charter, Comcast, TWC, etc., provided broadcast networks for their customers based on the customer's location and the networks demanded a retrans fee.

Aereo was doing the same thing as the cable companies were doing but they weren't paying the networks the retrans fee. W

Why should cable companies have to pay the retrans fee to the broadcast networks and Aereo doesn't?

If Aereo had paid the retrans fees in the first place, they'd still be in business today.
devolved

devolved to Soup

to Soup
The Hopper is a glorified DVR. The commercials aren't deleted automatically and it's impossible to fast forward through a live event without a time machine.