spc
Search similar:

uniqs

coachPaul
join:2014-06-30
Richmond Hill, ON

coachPaul

[DSL] What is my next step? - your insights please

I have been a paying customer of Start Communications for over a year now.

To be honest, the initial service quality was ok, then over several months degraded to average, then consistently poor. Finally I called (now five calls on record) - and the specific - diagnosed-by Start.ca - deplorable service that was reported on earlier calls has been reconfirmed by later calls. On each call the issue was diagnosed the same - zero or near-zero upload ... yet the issues were never resolved. And periodically, and only when I followed up ... several times, I might see some pennies credited for poor service. Not feeling the love!

Finally last month, when I made it clear I was prepared to permanently leave Start.ca as a very unsatisfied customer, one adventurous rep remarked how generous and responsive I still was (in spite of what Start.ca had put me through for a year). More importantly, he was stumped why nobody at Start.ca previously had suggested swapping my modem, in case the issue was there.

I received the swapped modem next day and then within the prerequisite transfer time, turned it on. For the first time since I have been paying for Start Communications (12+ months), I experienced comparatively lightning speeds. So now after 12+ months of deplorable service quality, that was resolved for the first time.

Now it was time to satisfy me for all my time wasted by them and wasted payment for full service, not receiving it. Their response: we'll credit you $10 for the lack of service quality. They even had the audacity to ask: 'Is that ok?' I'm sure you can guess my response. Two weeks later, I received a voicemail that matter-of-factly told me that they were crediting me for one month ($29). Is that all the 'love' they can muster for the fiasco that they created and that has lasted MANY months too long, unresolved.

And what of the Start.ca modem that I was forced to purchase for ~80+tax - the modem that never worked properly - and caused the fiasco and all my wasted time so many months: "Oh that modem belongs to you, you can keep it or sell it if you like." Excuuuuuse Meeeee?????

So I turn to you my colleagues (including I see some representing Start.ca), what are your professional suggestions on next steps? To date, I have had no further response from Start.ca. None.
Wheemer8
join:2005-11-30
L3S0B7

Wheemer8

I'm glad I read this as I was considering switching to start. But now I realize how bad a choice that may have been.

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir to coachPaul

to coachPaul
Woooooooah, *popcorn* (Good luck with your issue man -, this sounds like a terrible experience - lets see what happens next) - i am sure rocca will respond to this soon.
Expand your moderator at work

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to coachPaul

Premium Member

to coachPaul

Re: [DSL] What is my next step? - your insights please

Hi Paul, sorry to hear of your misadventures. Can you PM me your customer # so I can take a look at the particulars around your issues? Thanks.
Expand your moderator at work
rocca

rocca to Wheemer8

Premium Member

to Wheemer8

Re: [DSL] What is my next step? - your insights please

said by Wheemer8:

I'm glad I read this as I was considering switching to start. But now I realize how bad a choice that may have been.

You might want to check back to see how we resolve this first. I'd like to get some details about the case, timing and steps we took first though before being able to comment more. If we sent a bum modem from the start then I'll definitely make good on that. Thanks.

coachPaul
Richmond Hill, ON

1 edit

coachPaul to rocca

to rocca
Thanks for your quick response rocca - system says they need to approve the update I tried to post - so perhaps this will get to you (the delayed post about the prevented PM):

UPdate: After I posted, I noticed someone called 'rocco' that I can message direct. Unfortunately, as a new user here, dslreports.com is preventing me from sending him this note - so doing the honorable thing and posting it here:
- - -
Hi 'rocca' - I'm writing you from within dslreports.com

I just posted a note about my 12+ months of poor service quality experience and only later noticed I can write you directly here. If you can enable immediate resolving of the remaining 'customer delight' issues, I'll remove the post, with my thanks.

Paul best to reach me direct:
Personal information removed by a moderator and privately sent to Rocca.

- - - -

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Thanks, received - and investigating...

Gixxer
join:2008-08-27
St Catharines, ON

Gixxer to coachPaul

to coachPaul
Seems like a similar issue I read about the other night on the Cogeco review page.

»Review of Cogeco Cable by sommervr

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for the information, I've reviewed your account history:

1) Your first report of poor upload speeds was 2014/03/24, which is considerably shorter than 12+ months ago. We put in a ticket, signals were good and you said things were fine.

2) Your second issue of poor upload speeds was 2014/04/18, we asked you to factory reset the modem and it was fine.

3) Your third complaint was 2014/06/06, here we offered to try a new modem.

The issue however I don't believe is a bad modem, rather it's a DOCSIS 2.0 modem and the area you are may have experienced some intermittent single channel congestion. With a DOCSIS 2.0 modem you only have 1 channel which the modem connects to, so if your node gets busy it can cause congestion on that channel until a factory reset is done when a new channel is selected. That coupled with the low upload speed on the Basic package (256k) and it's easy to congest your connection by sending a large file attachment, Skype'ing, etc. Now with a vastly superior DOCSIS 3.0 modem rental you'll have multi-channel bonding which avoids most of the limitations with DOCSIS 2.0.

I also show that we've credited over $40 for this already, a little more than a few cents. Additionally, I see that when you first setup there was a shipping issue, and we sent another one cross-shipped and provided over a free month of service at that time as well, so I think we've certainly done well by you? I know at that time you wanted 3 months free and to talk to the president about it, and as unfortunate as it was I don't think 3 months is a fair remedy for a 3 day delay in receiving the modem.

Back to the credit for this time, I only do see those 3 calls - each of which we resolved by a factory reset which cleared up the channel selection with the older modem. You have got 15 months value out of that modem which is better than if you had been renting it, that said I'm happy to do either one of these things, in addition to the free month you've already got for this latest issue, to remedy your situation:

1) Sell you the rental modem that you're using now, at a cost of $50 plus tax.

2) Provide an additional free month, and bill the rental at the regular $5/mo plus tax.

...either one of these will total over $120 in credits for the issues you had.

Thanks and I hope that will be satisfactory.

Have a great day.

fallsguy
join:2013-05-07
Port Colborne, ON

fallsguy to coachPaul

to coachPaul
Your next step would be to be thankful you're using an ISP that is bending over backwards to try and help you out. Not to mention givng credits etc. Try getting the same service with the big players, it'd never happen.
ghostbusters
join:2014-05-27
Canada

1 recommendation

ghostbusters

Correct! No other company, including Teksavvy, would do as much as Start has done here. I was with Teksavvy back when I was in the red zone and had similar problems. They only gave me 1 month credit and I still had to buy a new modem, etc. So for starters, trust in Start.

On another note, it's a shame you are expecting insane speeds when you're subscribed to a $30 plan with a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. Next time, go with a higher plan and DOCSIS 3.0 and see how you fair. Not saying you should have known this, but now you know. Make sure the new modem you purchase now is DOCSIS 3.0 so you are futureproofed! Don't say I didn't warn you!

oceros37
join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

oceros37

said by ghostbusters:

Make sure the new modem you purchase now is DOCSIS 3.0 so you are futureproofed! Don't say I didn't warn you!

Ahem, 8 channel docsis 3. That is until the 24 channel docsis 3's are approved.

It's harder to use the term futureproof right now.

hagbard72
join:2000-10-02
Kingsville

hagbard72 to coachPaul

to coachPaul
Had a lost connection for four days, no compensation. So, I don't think they normally do that (though the last time that happened to me, when I was with Shaw in BC, I got full compensation).

MFido
Montreal
join:2012-10-19

MFido to coachPaul

to coachPaul
some people hever have enough !!!!

yeah ...
alpovs
join:2009-08-08

alpovs to coachPaul

to coachPaul
And why the OP put it in the DSL category?..

coachPaul
Richmond Hill, ON

coachPaul to rocca

to rocca
Hi 'rocca' - thanks for your quick reply on Monday (I'm just back after the holiday). Wow you gleaned from my account and typed all that in just 30 minutes. Impressive!

As per my original notes, above, I did offer to take this offline here, when, as I specified: 'when you can enable immediate resolving of the remaining 'customer delight' issues'. These include the 'human' values factors (not money related). This isn't a contest to see who is more right - that has zero significance to resolving what has or can occur now.

In truth, in any situation there are really two things to resolve: the issue itself and the people-component ;-0 And while the customer isn't always right, they do have the right to be heard. It took me going public after 12+ months of agony to get a working response.

While you only know me as a paying Start customer. Before we speak next, do Google me to see who I am - Including having Chaired and Keynoted the Annual Conference of the International Customer Service Association (3 times). Yes, I've been very gracious to resist seeking outside support on this until now. This is a juicy case study isn't it, and you play a pivotal role now, don't you 'rocca'!

A good first 'human' resolution step still is available to you - to meaningfully acknowledge that the repeated, customer service I've experienced is something that Start (perhaps through you) desires to address, as I certainly do! And only in an amicable, fair way that delights all. A simple acknowledgement will go a long way here. That hasn't happened yet 'rocca', not by you nor anyone at Start, except by the most recent rep that sent the hardware replacement modem.

Instead of messaging me directly (as you see I did try 2x to do with you here), you selected to write back publicly. And provided incomplete info (somehow no 2013 info to report? it WAS 12+ months of grief). No need to research more, let's just resolve things now with a positive outcome that benefits everyone.

'rocca' you have brought to light serious internal company insights, including that Start knowingly provides and continues to justify having sold me hardware that you have confirmed cannot service adequately the community I'm located in. That was true on day 1 and while that fact indeed was repeated on each of my calls, only the most recent rep, offered to try the new modem. So what is your higher purpose to say I received '15 months value' when it clearly was, by design deliberately sold with predictably reduced or non-functioning value to me. I paid for that modem up front in good faith and now Start tells me I can sell it (to who?) or use it as a door stop. Clearly that is a mispeak on your part and I'll chalk that up to your haste in replying. Lesson learned.

And regarding factory resets, while it was indeed true it was done on each call, it did not once resolve the issue of zero/minuscule upload speed (well below acceptable, even by each Start rep), except by a barely changed amount so that I could get on, at slow upload speed to continue with my work. And that, only after wasting many minutes (in one case well over an hour) of my valuable time troubleshooting ... the repeated issue that you and each rep confirmed is established knowledge (though not to the unsuspecting paying customer). Your people (and you) are paid for your time (on these now confirmed as predictable fiascos), I am not - a complete waste of my time and energy. That's the human factor, still not acknowledged once. That is not deemed by any stretch as customer satisfaction. Akin to expecting people to 'put up' with MS Windows when it keeps crashing. Others switch to reliable brands. Which Start can demonstrate to me now it can be. For me, starting now with the newer, higher functioning modem.

And regarding your pride in offering me a 'total over $120' in credits for what you wrote as 'for the issues you had', it truly rings really, really hollow doesn't it 'rocca'? Perhaps another mispeak, as it is diametrically opposite to the human stuff I seek. I'm not asking for a rose garden, just some true customer love.

That said, as you, representing Start, prefer to keep this dollar-transactional (vs customer-delight-transformational), then as a go-forward position, I accept keeping this newly swapped modem as fully paid now, in return to you of the one I purchased and that hasn't functioned fully since day 1 (I'll send it back at my cost). And I accept your offer for this current month's fee waived.

That way, Start can be happy the dollar-transaction component is complete and has retained a customer. And when I receive that still missing acknowledgment (do send it by email or snail mail, and not here), you will have the opportunity to transform me into a raving customer that sings your praises and brings you new customers - as I can and will!

So my humble suggestion now is for us to confirm this offline professionally and in a friendly way. As I have no info about you and you have my full account and contact info, give a holler, I welcome your call

Sending you positive energy 'rocca', for deciding to do what everyone knows is right. Now.

Paul

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

2 recommendations

rocca

Premium Member

Hi Paul,

Thanks again for your feedback, although truly I don't know where to begin.

My reply was public as you had posted publicly, which of course is your choice if you want to post grievances online but by the same token it's only fair that the response not be hidden away either. I find it troubling though when things like 'somehow no 2013 info to report' get posted when in fact there wasn't a single service call in 2013 other than on 2013/01/03 about the splash screen while the new modem was swapped but other equally disturbing inaccuracies in the original post as well which I had overlooked in the hopes of simply resolving the issue.

As you're new to the site, perhaps you're not aware of my role or the reputation I have as being transparent, honest and fair as well as bettering competition and internet services for all Canadians, whether they be our customers or our competitors. The fact is that I was trying to be genuinely helpful by immediately taking a customers complaint seriously, researching the account history and coming up with not only a detailed response but offered solutions to try and please you despite things not quite lining up with your post.

Like I said, I'm a fair person but I expect fairness in return and much like it not being fair to get 3 months free internet because the modem was delayed for 3 days (which originated because of an incomplete address being provided during the order) it's also not fair to demand 2 free months and an upgraded modem because your equipment stopped working well after the warranty period. I'm good with fair, not so good with bullied.

That said, I'll take you up on your offer to call you because I fear the alternative is a very long and unproductive message thread.

»www.linkedin.com/in/peterrocca
rocca

1 recommendation

rocca

Premium Member

Hey Paul,

I tried you on both of your numbers and left a message on the last one. Hopefully we can convince you that we love all our customers and turn you back into that raving fan. Lots of positive energy and love heading your way too.

Have a great night.
alpovs
join:2009-08-08

1 recommendation

alpovs to coachPaul

to coachPaul
said by coachPaul:

This isn't a contest to see who is more right

Hmm, it is and you started it. By lying...

smogers
@108.170.167.x

smogers to rocca

Anon

to rocca
Speaking of start.ca love were are my start.ca underroos?
spikernum1
join:2010-03-03
L8B0S3

spikernum1 to Wheemer8

to Wheemer8
said by Wheemer8:

Interesting response... Almost suspicious...

Personally, one person's seemingly odd complaint mixed in with a sea of raving reviews of this company wouldn't have swayed me as quickly as it has you.
mrheisman
join:2008-03-12
Wallaceburg, ON

mrheisman to coachPaul

to coachPaul
I'm not going to comment on whether OP lied or not, but I do agree with him that the tone and overall demeanor of Rocca's posts not only in this thread, but others has been unsettling. Maybe I'm not used to a smaller company's CEO replying directly to costumers, but to be honest I'd expect that sort of attitude from a low level CSR and not the chief executive.

The way to smooth over an upset customer (whether he's wrong or not) isn't to point out the inconstancies in his story on a public forum. No mater if it seems "unfair" from Start's perspective.
jimmyfogg
join:2010-12-30

jimmyfogg

I think it's refreshing to see real humans at work, not just a body reporting to a board of directors that just care about their bottom line.

It is clear to me, having seen rocca involve himself in almost every customer complaint that ends up on this forum, that this business is more to him than just a place of work. I'm glad his replies aren't sugar coated, they are calculated fair assessment of the facts as they are available or known to him. Any search through this history of this forum will find you countless examples of rocca making things right if they went sour on their end, and even going a step farther and crediting clients when it wasn't an issue caused by start.

What I find unsettling is how many people are quick to judge based on this one thread. I've been a client since Nov 12 and I couldn't be happier, and have made numerous recommendations to friends and coworkers.

I'm a military member, it's nice to see a business that also embodies the value of integrity.
mrheisman
Wallaceburg, ON

mrheisman

"I think it's refreshing to see real humans at work, not just a body reporting to a board of directors that just care about their bottom line."

A basic reading of OP's posts and Rocca's replies seem to imply he is about the bottom line.

"It is clear to me, having seen rocca involve himself in almost every customer complaint that ends up on this forum, that this business is more to him than just a place of work."

I agree and I'm guessing that explains some of his 'sanding against the grain' posts in terms of bad experiences. Either way, that's no excuse to pick a part a lengthy customer's story publicly.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to jimmyfogg

Premium Member

to jimmyfogg
said by jimmyfogg:

I'm a military member, it's nice to see a business that also embodies the value of integrity.

First, thank you for your service to our country - no matter how important things like internet seems at times, whenever I talk to someone in service I'm awed by their commitment to others.

To comment on the later point and towards the post above, integrity is one of our company core values which comes directly from me, my parents and grandparents - it's a part of me and anyone that knows me knows that my word is always good. The easy answer would have been to publicly say "All our fault, here's a free modem and a bunch of free service, please go edit your reply to say we're awesome", sweep it under the rug and wash it up to a marketing expense but that is not what happened and it would be dis-genuine for me to stand up and say that the SB5101N shouldn't have been sold and that we had some nefarious reason for selling it, or that we forced it down a customers throat. 18 months ago when it was purchased it was a perfectly fine entry-level modem for the speed (and only sold for Basic) but things change, maybe his node is busy, maybe the modem just pooched out but it worked just fine for 15 months without a single complaint. Technology changes, modems don't last forever, and frankly I'm proud of the work our support team does, the unfortunate abuse it takes from time to time, and despite that is willing to go the extra mile, taking an hour to trouble-shoot when needed, send a rental modem no charge to test things out.

It's this commitment to service that has made us who we are, and like it's been mentioned several times - if we've screwed up I'm the first to admit it and make it right, and when that's not the case then I'm still happy to do what I can to help a customer feel special.

As for it being about the bottom-line, I think this thread shows that clearly isn't the case. It's easy to throw a money at an unreasonable situation, it's much more difficult to try and voice our side, explain things from a different perspective and hope that we can find a middle ground with the customer that still upholds our integrity and makes them feel like they were treated fairly.

Anyway, I've reached out to Paul directly and I'm confident we can find a way that everyone ends up happy as he seems like a pretty reasonable dude and some would say I'm not too bad either.
jimmyfogg
join:2010-12-30

jimmyfogg to mrheisman

to mrheisman
He represents his business, but doesn't sell bullshit to people just to appease them.

The story was already public, as posted by the OP on a public forum. Of course it was picked apart, that's how you deal with larger issues, break them down into manageable pieces.
mrheisman
Wallaceburg, ON

mrheisman to rocca

to rocca
"First, thank you for your service to our country - no matter how important things like internet seems at times, whenever I talk to someone in service I'm awed by their commitment to others."

Now there is the CEO talk.

Unfortunately it was accompanied by the usual it's not Start's problem that the customer is wrong. Maybe I'm not seeing his problem correctly, but I am shocked at the response he keeps getting from high level Start management.

I'd suggest Start customers PM the user "Start Sam" as he provides descriptive solutions to user problems and doesn't delve into the customer's story.
mrheisman

mrheisman to jimmyfogg

to jimmyfogg
"He represents his business, but doesn't sell bullshit to people just to appease them."

I giggled.

It seems you don't understand the main focus of businesses is to make money.