uniqs
« Dear Google
This is a sub-selection from Contractors
existenz
join:2014-02-12

existenz to Duramax08

to Duramax08

Re: Contractors

Up to 5% rate of complaints would be expected. Google needs to keep contractors in check but it would be impossible for there to be no disruption. About 75K-100K subs estimated so far... If below 5% complaining, this shouldn't be news.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

so 5000 complaints so far is OK?
Of course if they don't have to report it who knows how many it really is
existenz

existenz

said by tshirt:

so 5000 complaints so far is OK?

Well a complaint of some form, even if not significant. 1 out of 20-30 will complain about any install, with any company that does installs, even if very minor. Would be surprised if yards being severely impacted are 0.1%. Would expect much lower for any utility that already has infrastructure in place.
smcallah
join:2004-08-05
Home

2 recommendations

smcallah to existenz

to existenz
You know it only takes 1 gas line explosion out of a small number of complaints for quite a lawsuit to spring up.

If they are breaking people's gas lines, this can happen. Explosions have happened before with cut gas lines.

Either 811 is marking lines wrong, or they aren't calling 811 or waiting for all lines to be marked before all of their digs.

It's dangerous and irresponsible. It doesn't matter how many people complain, cutting lines and pipes should not be happening in people's yards, period. Google Fiber might be cool, but it's not worth that hassle. I'd like to keep my water or gas service on without interruption, I can get by without cable or fiber for longer than I can without those.
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks to existenz

to existenz
And you estimate that number of customers how???? Free customers don't count as they're not paying for services.
ITGeeks

ITGeeks to tshirt

to tshirt
It is with Google since the City will take on any and all legal expenses that arise from any law suits.
ITGeeks

ITGeeks to smcallah

to smcallah
That is true. But their contract with the cities state that the City is on the hook for any and all legal expenses. So KC would be suing themselves.
rahvin112
join:2002-05-24
Sandy, UT

rahvin112 to smcallah

to smcallah
Any sort of linear excavation is going to hit utility lines even when marked. It's not possible to miss everything even if you spend huge engineering money on locating services. The older the area the more likely. This is standard knowledge in the construction industry and a fact of life. The contractor is void of any liability if they had the utilities marked and followed the local laws for digging across or adjacent to markings in every state I'm aware of.

Low pressure gas lines (frequently plastic) are a breeze to fix and there is very little risk of the gas back flowing into the house when you are dealing with an open trench.
existenz

1 edit

existenz to ITGeeks

to ITGeeks
said by ITGeeks:

And you estimate that number of customers how???? Free customers don't count as they're not paying for services.

A KC city IT employee calculated it based on household count and % registered.

»kcrag.com/viewtopic.php? ··· #p532235

Sounds like a reasonable approach to at least get an idea, which estimates 88K have registered so far and it doesn't include 400+ buildings (actuals released by Google) where building owners come to agreements w/out need for individuals to register - potentially another 15K+. This is KCMO and KCK only, before registrations have started in the burbs.

Gimli
Premium Member
join:2006-01-03
l5a2o4

Gimli to smcallah

Premium Member

to smcallah
Well - i would say half the time the locates did not locate correctly . You kknow how many times that I have received locates that were done by a lazy ass guy that went from outdated engineering plans to locate utilities. its not always as cut and dry as it seems - excuse the pun.
lol
« Dear Google
This is a sub-selection from Contractors