spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Bonanza
@98.242.38.x

Bonanza

Anon

MagicJackGO vs MagicJackPlus 2014

So I went to the site and noticed apparently today there is a new device called "GO" and it comes with 1 year of service. Why would they make a Plus 2014 and a GO or are these the same things re-branded?

If not, will the GO work without a computer and any rumors of a comparison in quality?

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy

Premium Member

Only difference is conference calling. I think $35 a month might be a little more than the other adaptor.

NWAustinBob
@68.203.3.x

NWAustinBob to Bonanza

Anon

to Bonanza
AS best as I can tell from the magicJack site, the magicJackGO is merely the newest generation of the product. If it helps, think of it as "magicJack2015".

By all appearances, the company is going back to the original plan which included one-year of service in the $59.95 initial purchase price for minimally-updated hardware.

The complete details can be read at the following page:

»www.magicjack.com/magicJ ··· kGO.html

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers

Premium Member

can existing MJ customers port their number over to this $60 device and still get the year of time? I have an old USB only MJ expiring in September and would rather run it off my switch.

also, is there any evidence the newer MJ does 9600baud Fax any better than all the other MJ's that don't seem to work well with Fax?

NWAustinBob
@68.203.10.x

NWAustinBob

Anon

@Packeteers, As I haven't yet seen a review of the new generation magicJackGo, the only way I can answer your questions is to suggest that you contact MJ support.

I have the original magicJack and after each new hardware generation has hit the shelves, MJ has offered me an opportunity to switch my existing account to the latest hardware at a reduced price. Unfortunately, your account might expire in September before you get such an invitation.

If I were you, I would first contact MJ support, but unless they give you an emphatic "no" response, I would go ahead and buy a MJGo from whichever vendor has the best price. When you activate the MJGo, you'll likely be asked if you want to port over an existing number.

One caution: If you order a MJGo, be absolutely certain you aren't actually ordering the older MJ+2014 model which is sitting on shelves in great supply. I mostly see the old model being advertised when I intentionally Google "magicJackGo."

Please let the forum know what you find out.
NWAustinBob

NWAustinBob

Anon

An article about magicJackGo appeared in Tuesday's Wall Street Journal (7/8/14):

»online.wsj.com/article/P ··· 366.html

"A limited launch promotion also includes a $10 credit that can be redeemed for other value-add services such as number porting, custom phone numbers and international calling services."
EOLonline
join:2007-01-17
Atlanta, GA

EOLonline

That WSJ post is a press release, not a news story or article.

MJ Victim
@142.136.96.x

MJ Victim to Bonanza

Anon

to Bonanza
I actually have the 1st (Desktop Only Version), 2nd (Direct Connect RJ45 to Router), and 3rd Generation (Wi-Fi Connect to Router) Dongles on hand. I remember having to buy a HP Compaq t5710 Thin Client Computer, do a Firmware Update to save OS that boots-up with the 1st Generation Dongle attached and use it without the Keyboard, Mouse, and Monitor (all 3 removed) just because it was quiet (no Fans) and used very little electricity. Then, MJ would push a Dongle Update every now and then which stops the Thin Client from completing the connections until you put on the Mouse, Keyboard & Monitor back on to see what was changed - THEN resave the firmware changes all over again until MJ pushes another update. I used the Thin Client because I didn't want to have a Soft Dial Pad popping up on my regular desktop activities AND my desktop uses lots of power - driving up the electric bills if I wanted to keep it on to make/receive MJ calls.

Then, the 2nd Generation showed up claiming the Dongle now has its own mini computer inside (the Dongle) and can be connected directly to the back of the router via RJ45 (Cat5e Cable). Great, I can put away the Thin Client, but I ended up installing a Mechanical Timer on the USB Power Adapter to shut the Dongle OFF for 30 minutes (set for 1AM to 1:30AM) because I would lose my dial tone every 24 hours for unknown reasons and rebooting the MJ Dongle always solved the problem (no matter what Brand Name router I was using).

Then, the 3rd Generation Dongle arrived boasting the use of a Wi-Fi connection without using a direct connection to the back of my router (real estate was fully populated back there and adding Ethernet Switches helped only a little). BUT! The little LIGHT would show up flashing on the dongle 2-3 times each day (no dial-tone) requiring rebooting each time. Using the DMZ on the Router to dedicate it to the MJ Dongle helped a lot but still had to reboot often.

Got fed up with it and set the FREE Call Forwarding FEATURE to ring my Cell Phone OR my re-instated Land-Line until MAGICJACK PEOPLE decided to remove the FREE call forwarding feature WITHOUT NOTICE. That means they changed the Terms Of Use contract after I had already prepaid for the 5 additional years.

Pulled out the MJ devices and bought NetTalk Dongles which did not quit on me as often as the MJ devices (maybe once each week, but I had to reboot the router first and then start up the NetTalk Dongle afterwards).

Although, I have the 1st Generation MJ Dongle still active (total of 6 years prepaid), I left the MJ Dongle unplugged and downloaded the MJ App on my (real cheap) China Built 3G Smartphone (Android 4.2.1) to use the MJ Services.

What is really confusing to me is WHAT IS SO DIFFERENT (besides the exterior Dongle case) with the 4th Generation MagicJack Device? I already get the bragged about services that are available on the prior Generation Dongles. (Never tried the Conference Call Number.) What I do notice is that the yearly price is now $35 a YEAR. It was $19.95 plus oddball fees per year when pre-purchasing the 5 added years plan. What I think is being sneaky about the KEEP YOUR EXISTING PHONE NUMBER is that there is a $10 charge for RENEWING that ported number EACH YEAR even though all you see in the advertisements is; ONE TIME CHARGE of $10 for porting.

So, Here's what happened (HISTORY) with me. Call Forwarding was taken away during the Contract Period. Suddenly, my Ported Number(s) are now being charged additional $10 each year. I actually have a fear of buying their 4th Generation Device because of their past history. It was "DAN" who was always referred to in the unofficial MagicJack Forums when everyone had a gripe with magicJack. They still do NOT have a real live phone support you can call to TALK to CUSTOMER SERVICE. Only a Chat Session which has improved this year, but I am guessing it's because of the roll-out of the 4th Generation Devices.

I am going to just sit back and see what the MJ People will change on their new Customers because I know that their History equals their Future! My suggestion: Do your own research before investing in any VoIP Company. (Here's a hint: What ever happened to Sky-Rocket VoIP?)

mintjulie
@24.64.65.x

mintjulie

Anon

Call Forwarding is back... at least it is on my MagicJack Plus.

I think the new MagicJackGo is trying to lure BUSINESS owners. With the previous MagicJacks they said for residential use only, and they would deactivate if there was overuse. I would like to find the small print of the limitations of "unlimited" calling for the Go. I know the "unlimited" calling for previous MagicJacks was indeed limited, as noted in the small print.... don't know about for the Go. Too many questions, too few answers.
bekfe10
join:2010-01-18
Dover, DE

bekfe10 to MJ Victim

to MJ Victim
I hear you! Right after the demise of Sunrocket in 2007, Magicjack came out. I bought the very 1st device created by Magicjack in August 2007 which I was using once in a while until March of this year. My current expiration date is August 2014, then I received an email in March offering me free Magicjack Plus 2014 if I renewed for 5 years. I thought maybe I should give it a try to see how the newer devices fair compared to the original device and get rid of the PC. Well, that was a big mistake!

I ordered the renewal package in March and received the device less than a week later. I followed their instructions to change the device on my account and everything went well except that the device would not work behind a router which was the whole point of me getting the newer device. From that date, I struggled trying to get the device to work as advertised and was chatting with Magicjack support every day. They tried everything and had me tried 3 different USB adapters, 3 different brands of router, and 4 different Ethernet cords. They pushed firmware upgrade to the device 3 times and redid the installation process many times. They even logged in to my computer and changed some settings in my router, but the device still did not want to work behind the router. After trying everything and checked the device on their end, one agent finally determined about 2 weeks later that they sent me a bad device, but would not send me a free replacement device without me paying $12 shipping fee. I explained to him that they should have checked and done QA/QC on the device before sending it out and as far as I am concerned I should not be charged anything and besides I was still within my 30-day. He said this was company policy. I gave him the option either to ship me a free replacement device or I would dispute the charge with my credit card company and get my money back. They thought I was kidding; I disputed the charge and won. As retaliation, they placed my account under review meaning I can't place or receive calls although the account is still active. I found all this out through chat (not an email) and that I needed to call a number. I called and the person I spoke with told me that I owed MJ $26 because that is what it cost them to send me the bogus device and was only concerned with that. I explained to her that I was still willing to cancel the dispute if they are willing to send me a replacement device without issues that i can use without a computer. She refused and told me that I have to pay the $26 before everything. My response was I did not want to pay the $12 shipping fee, what makes you think I would want to pay $26 bogus fee. Since I only had a little over 3 months left on the 5-year plan I bought, I was like GOOD RIDDANCE! Today, Even if someone gives me a MJ paid for 5 years for free, I do not want it. That is how much I do not want anything to do with them anymore! Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me!

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers

Premium Member

interesting, i also noticed how obstinate their customer service can be. i once got an email offer, clicked the link to see all the details, but was not ready to buy yet. so a week later while the offer was still valid, i clicked the link and the offer was gone. so i call customer service and the long and short of it was - it was a one time offer and they were powerless to renew it, even though it was still valid and i still qualified. that's when i realized this company must be nuts. the amount of time/effort i wasted with their customer service just trying to get that offer back - wasted all the money they could have just discounted me in higher overhead costs to them, nevermind the value of wasting MY time...
mayotruck
join:2014-06-09

2 edits

mayotruck to Bonanza

to Bonanza
said by AppleGuy:

Only difference is conference calling.

I always find it funny when people have no idea because the product hasn't even been released yet they claim to know what the differences are, without even having the product. Appleguy you sure thats the ONLY difference? If so please show me the ULR that states what you said that the ONLY difference is that it is conference calling, I bet you can't. Well obviously there is a design difference, and i would assume a hardware difference as well, since the 2014 had sd card slots and the magicjackgo doesn't.

I on the other hand did in fact get a hold of magic jack customer service and asked them if the new magic jack had new hardware or if it was just repackaged.
They "said" it was new hardware, which is what i expected to hear, but ill be honest i have a hard time "trusting" their customer service people, since they rarely ever seem to really know whats going on...I did figure I have 30 day money back gaurentee as well, so i decided to order it and test it.

Now will it be better than the older versions (mj + 2012 or mj + 2014) I have no idea but i don't "claim" to know either. I just know i have 30 days to test it and send it back if it sucks like the 2014 magic jack plus did.

All i know is the magic jack + 2012 works the best for me out of the two mentioned above, so im still running the 2012 version over my 2014. MY 2014 sits in my drawer collecting dust.
vintagewino
join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON

vintagewino

Still using the '2010 version'. Have certainly gotten my $$ out of it. Not certain if I'll renew with MJ, or try GV with the critter.

I did use it in Europe to call back to Canada, nd it worked not badly, except for me trying to get into the conference call. It was a bit choppy, so the ID passcode I had to key in was problematic. Once I got in, however, it was ok.

"New and improved" may not necessarily mean "better".

MJ Victim
@142.136.96.x

MJ Victim to bekfe10

Anon

to bekfe10
said by bekfe10:

Even if someone gives me a MJ paid for 5 years for free, I do not want it. That is how much I do not want anything to do with them anymore! Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me!

When anyone gets burned by fire or by bad company politics, we always stay far away from it. I am thinking that back in March, there was a 30-day warranty when you received the new unit. My past experience is to return the device ASAP requesting a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) before shipping it back and then, use the Credit Card Company to dispute the charge. Then it will be up to MJ to make good on their upgrade offer.

This is where you would have the upper hand, but it sounds like you still have the faulty dongle device in your possession. They could claim you possess their product even though if is of no further use to you.

I am also very surprised that you actually had a real voice phone number to call magicJack at. (I wonder if that's worth anything on eBay.) But all kidding aside, it seems to take several thousand people to make noise to get MJ to act properly and understand that the Customer has the Gold. Whoever has the Gold, makes the rules. If MJ wants that Gold bad enough, they will have to listen and respond. The squeakiest wheel always get the grease. I tried making noise by getting AT&T involved when taking back my ported numbers from MJ. By doing that, I was saying to MJ: "I don't need you!" I have other choices. I actually did that twice at the beginning of the year - pulling my ported numbers away from magicJack.

You do know that there is a survey at the end of the chat session where you can spill out your guts on the grief they caused you. Somebody has to read those things. Stating you are copying those survey responses to an Internet forum rattles their cages because word-of-mouth advertising goes a long way and the negative stuff goes further and longer.

You will probably hear from MJ by email advertisements and watch to see how small changes are taking place. They are reaching out and that should mean that they ARE suffering.
MJ Victim

MJ Victim to Packeteers

Anon

to Packeteers
said by Packeteers:

i once got an email offer, clicked the link to see all the details, but was not ready to buy yet. so a week later while the offer was still valid, i clicked the link and the offer was gone.

Happens to me several times. Seems they are trying to create a "Desire" for magicjack. I just have to discipline myself to NOT buy their product(s) in the first place. I just want them to fulfill their part of the Contract when I did buy into their scheme several years ago.

When I try the email links they give me AFTER the expired time, I don't go any further. If I do get a valid link to complete the purchase, I find myself backing out only because of their past history with me. But in any case...I never get to the point where I am entering my card numbers. Sure, it's a waste of time, but stopping soon enough before completing that purchase WILL save me time, frustration, and headaches when MJ tries to pull out of their Contract by changing something that only would benefit them alone. (For example: Claiming your ported number expires and tries to bill you $10 for another year. OR. Taking away the FREE call-forwarding when first signing up.)

There will always be new people who will get suckered in only because they were NOT fully aware of what MJ really does to Customers. It's actually up to us (the Customers) to take control, be fully informed, ask questions, make demands, and get results. But until then, we have to learn the hard way and experience it first hand.
bekfe10
join:2010-01-18
Dover, DE

bekfe10 to MJ Victim

to MJ Victim
MJ Victim
Trying to return the device is what started the whole ordeal. I tried to get a RMA from MJ website, but the device did not show up to be picked when I signed in. I then went chatting with a couple of MJ representatives to find out what to do. They told me that I have to use the website and provided me with the same link I tried to use. That is when I knew that I was about to loose my money and decided to dispute the charge and bid farewell to MJ.
I usually complete the survey at the end of the chat, but I usually give them average rating because the reps are genuinely trying to help except that they can only rely on the scripts they have.
I like playing with those gadgets and save a few bucks here and there, but when the providers start getting greedy that is usually my hint that it is time to move on. The funny part is that MJ could have easily exchanged the bad device and pocketed the $107+ because I barely use the damn thing. Currently I have 2 Nettalk devices and Callcentric plus 3 unlimited cell phone plans in the house (no real need for MJ). The MJ number I never really cared for it and only give it to places I do not want to bother me. So, I don't mind loosing it!
You are right about them reaching out as I am approaching my expiration date. There was an email offering this week about the Magicjackgo; that one met the "delete" button real quick. This will be the fate of all future MJ emails.

DarkClown
@76.175.28.x

DarkClown to Bonanza

Anon

to Bonanza
I'd like to know this myself. I bought the original MJ as well as the first MJ+.

I bought the MJ+ because (like most people) I wanted to remove the PC from the equation. However as others have mentioned the MJ+ regularly lost dial tone after a day or two and I'd have to power-cycle it to get it working again. It came with 12 months of service, but because I couldn't count on it I never renewed it.

I purchased 5 years of service with the original MJ and after buying the MJ+ I learned that I could not transfer the remaining months over to the MJ+. It's just as well because the MJ+ was basically useless. I don't even know where either dongle is at the moment. Most likely in a desk drawer somewhere. I still have a few months of service remaining on my subscription and I occasionally use it with the iOS app.

I may even renew my subscription when it expires but not for use with the original dongle. The service works pretty well with the iPhone app, giving me an additional number to use when I don't want to give out my actual cell number.

However, I would very much like to have a working dongle attached to a standard phone for use while at home if they ever get one that works reliably w/o being plugged into a PC. Is the MJGo that dongle? Hopefully someone can answer that question.

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to Bonanza

to Bonanza
You get what you pay for, and MJ is at the bottom of all the VoIP Providers. There are a lot of inexpensive VoIP Providers out there that give 100% better service, especially Techs that frequent this site should know better.

OldCableGuy3
@207.191.193.x

OldCableGuy3

Anon

I have the Magic Jack Plus which first appeared with the RJ45, it's been up and running connected to a UPS for over 2 years now, without a single outage (also a credit to my ISP ImOn). It's connected to pfSense and I did have to manually adjust the NAT policy for the device to allow it to keep connections open for infinite time. Worked great after that.