spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ChadH

@74.109.225.x

Router keeps randomly losing signal, affecting internet and OD.

I have an MI424WR router that I've had ever since getting FIOS about 5 years ago. I have phone, internet and cable through them. Anyway, it's been randomly losing it's signal lately. All the lights will go out for about 15 or 20 seconds and then eventually come back on. This affects my internet but I've noticed recently that it also affects my On Demand. If I'm watching something On Demand and this happens, it just stops. I reset both the STB and the router. I've checked all the connections and everything appears to be tight. Is there anything else I should check or try or should I just call customer service now and see what they can do? This happens so randomly too. I may go hours without it happening or it may happen several times in an hour. Anyway, thanks for any advice on this.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3
Sounds like its time for a new router

jh2010

join:2009-09-03
Brooklyn, NY
reply to ChadH
I don't think it is randomly losing signal. Losing a signal to the ONT would mean one or two lights would go out, not all of them.

It appears to be crashing and rebooting.
It takes about 20 seconds to reboot a router.

Ask Verizon to send you a new one. It will be faster than a 5 year old model(Especially using WIFI).

NickP65

join:2008-12-11
Trenton, NJ
reply to ChadH
Sounds exactly like what my router did just before it completely died.

ChadH

@74.109.225.x
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll give them a call and request another one. Since this one is going, they won't make me pay anything for a new one will they?

cpuwizkid
Premium
join:2007-04-17
Azusa, CA
said by ChadH :

Since this one is going, they won't make me pay anything for a new one will they?

In my experience, they SOMETIMES will give you a free router if yours is old enough and you've been a customer for a long while. If they do not offer you a free one and the rep asks you to pay more than $80+applicable tax/shipping, then I'd use the Verizon Teleproducts website and order one on your own. You can even get one on ebay or craigslist if you do not wish to purchase a brand new one.

»teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/in···N_X00011

(be patient, it takes a while for the VZ website to load)

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to ChadH
This happened to me and a FiOS tech in that area gave me a new power wart.
I also have an extra (due to that early issue with them failing) adaptor as Verizon mailed them out a few years ago.
I have the same model MI424WR. If you have a meter, check the DC out from the adaptor.
--
Splat

ChadH

@74.109.225.x
reply to cpuwizkid
said by cpuwizkid:

said by ChadH :

Since this one is going, they won't make me pay anything for a new one will they?

In my experience, they SOMETIMES will give you a free router if yours is old enough and you've been a customer for a long while. If they do not offer you a free one and the rep asks you to pay more than $80+applicable tax/shipping, then I'd use the Verizon Teleproducts website and order one on your own. You can even get one on ebay or craigslist if you do not wish to purchase a brand new one.

»teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/in···N_X00011

(be patient, it takes a while for the VZ website to load)

I went to that site and they have a deal to get a free router as an upgrade to WPA2, so I ordered one. Just had to pay for shipping. We'll see if getting that solves the problem. Thanks.

tlbepson
Premium
join:2002-02-09
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

>>chadh: I went to that site and they have a deal to get a free router as an upgrade to WPA2, so I ordered one. Just had to pay for shipping. We'll see if getting that solves the problem. Thanks.

Thanks so much for mentioning this! I've just ordered a new router for myself--I have an older version F (E?)...'-}}

gadgetboyj

join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY
kudos:2
Revision E and F routers are both capable of WPA2. Is anyone sure that Verizon is sending out any later revision than F for people doing the WPA2 upgrade?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
If you look at the teleproducts page, it's clearly a sliver banded router, and not the red banded rev. I.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

gadgetboyj

join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY
kudos:2
I see that now. So it looks as if tlbepson may have wasted at least $6 if he already has a revision F.

tlbepson
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
>>gadgetboyj: So it looks as if tlbepson may have wasted at least $6 if he already has a revision F.

My own little bit of stupidity knows no bounds...LOL!!!

Oh well...I at least have a backup router for a bit over $6--my current one was installed in 2009. Not only do I have to admit to not reading the description before ordering one for myself, I compounded it by popping over to my sister's place (next condo building) and helping her to also spend $6...'-}}

I'll report back when it actually arrives to let you know if my sister and I got lucky and they sent us rev. I's...'-}}

tlbepson
Premium
Washington, DC
Just thought I'd report back...

I received the router today and it is indeed grey-banded--not sure the rev as I've not checked that yet...